none
can't connect to microsoft account

Question

• Hi, I'm using windows 8 and 8.1 for several years. but recently I've got a big problem. recently I reinstalled my windows (I did reset factory) and after that I can't connect to my Microsoft account. Note that windows 8 was originally installed on my laptop and I'd reset and reinstalled my windows in these years and I had never faced this problem. but last week I reset it again and since then I'm not able to connect to my Microsoft account. I've reset and reinstalled my windows many time after that and nothing has changed.
    Saturday, September 16, 2017 7:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Amir.

First of all, check if you can access your Microsoft Account at https://account.microsoft.com.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Saturday, September 16, 2017 8:40 AM
  • thanks for your reply.

I can. the problem is not about Microsoft account itself, it says "sorry we couldn't connect to Microsoft account right now. If this problem persists, search for network problems on the screen." I did that but nothing accomplished. this error occurs before entering account username.

Saturday, September 16, 2017 10:17 AM
  • I've run in to the same thing after reinstalling Windows 8.1 after my hard drive died.  I've been through every fix I can find and nothing works to get the system to connect my local user account to a Microsoft account.  I can log in to my Microsoft account just fine through a web browser.  I've even gone so far as to create a brand new user account from scratch to see if its a user profile issue.  Nada.  Zip.  Nothing.

Based on TechNet and various support forums, this screams "Unfixed Long-standing BUG"

Saturday, September 16, 2017 12:55 PM
  • I have the same issue. I let a Microsoft agent remote control my desktop for 5 hours and even he couldn't fix it. He actually said "I guarantee the problem will be fixed by re-installing Windows 8.1", so for the second time i re-installed Windows and same issue.
    Sunday, September 17, 2017 1:16 AM
  • I have the same issue on Windows 8.1. Tried reinstaling windows, creating new user, flush dns, proxy, login in on different network etc. Nothing work. Zip. Nada :/
    Sunday, September 17, 2017 1:05 PM
  • Me too. Some one said MS down time, just wait...

Monday, September 18, 2017 2:15 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried to log on with another user account and switch to the Microsoft account? Have you check the network connection?

There are many reason can lead to this:

·         Microsoft account settings are corrupt

·         Can’t connect to the sync service

·         Problem with Microsoft account policy

·         Unable to connect due to proxy or certificate

·         Check for roaming GPO enabled status

·         Signed in with a guest account or Roaming User Profiles enabled

·         You are not connected to the Internet

·         Proxy Settings

·         Check system not activated.

You can download the Microsoft Account Troubleshooter to help you fix the issue:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/microsoftaccounts.diagcab

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 18, 2017 9:36 AM
  • Guess you're right. I heard from someone else.  He said they have issues with U.S government.
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 9:43 AM
  • Hi,

I will forward this information to the appropriate department through our internal channel. Both the Microsoft Product Team and Development Team take into consideration all suggestions and feedback for future releases.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 1:46 AM
  • I'm having the same issue as well. It's mildly annoying since I'm unable to even use Onedrive directly on my laptop where most of my files are stored.
    Thursday, September 21, 2017 5:44 PM
  • Hi there, same issue as well on Windows 8.1.
    Greetings from Germany
    Saturday, September 23, 2017 7:09 PM
  • Can Windows 8 update itself? If so let all the updates complete and then try to connect to the Microsoft account.
    Saturday, September 23, 2017 8:38 PM
  • I'm having the same problem and of course I have let all the available updates install themselves after having reinstalled the system. No way to sign in.

According to the answers forum, many more users worldwide are having this problem.

It's a BUG

Sunday, September 24, 2017 8:43 AM
  • I have also had this problem with an MS Surface.  I have applied over a dozen fixes, short of another new o/s install.  I was using a known functional name@gmail.com microsoft account.  It simply would not connect, showing the error "sorry we couldn't connect to Microsoft account right now. If this problem persists, search for network problems on the screen." as many others have noted in their posts.  

Once I signed up for a new Outlook.com account, it instantly worked. 

Hey Microsoft, are you that petty that you shut off access to Gmail accounts, or is this an honest mistake?

Scrooge54

Duncan

Sunday, September 24, 2017 3:11 PM
  • I have tried to sing in with at least 4 different MS accounts of my family, ad all are addresses @hotmail.com: no on worked. I have finally even created a new account, and didn't work either.

But now I'll try to create a new account @outlook.com, may be.......?

Sunday, September 24, 2017 7:59 PM
  • Hi, it did work Duncan!

I've been able to create a new @outlook.com account and to sign in with it. Now the problem is that I still need to use my previous account to synchronize OneDrive etc.

Sunday, September 24, 2017 8:11 PM
  • ...and I have a second big problem: I've just tried to sign me in using another Windows 8.1 computer with my new @outlook.com ID and this time I still have the message "sorry we couldn't connect to Microsoft account right now. If this problem persists, search for network problems on the screen."

Sunday, September 24, 2017 8:16 PM
  • I had same problem and realized that if I use the new outlook.com account, I can at least save all new future docs, files to the "new one drive" account directly from local machine and then access the old stuff either online with previous account or copy it all into new account. I went into word, created a dummy file and tried adding a place to save and sure enough it let me connect to One Drive with the new info. So...partial problem solved

Sunday, September 24, 2017 9:09 PM
  • Hi, was the error appear before entering your account or after that? because it even ask about username
    Monday, September 25, 2017 12:26 PM
  • if you create a new MS outlook.com account there is no error, you will be able to sign in, but you are not synchronizing your existing account (email, settings, onedrive, etc.).

if you insert your valid MS account, which already exist, then the error is appears immediately after and you cannot sign in.

Monday, September 25, 2017 3:01 PM
  • Hi, I'm using windows 8 and 8.1 for several years. but recently I've got a big problem. recently I reinstalled my windows (I did reset factory) and after that I can't connect to my Microsoft account. Note that windows 8 was originally installed on my laptop and I'd reset and reinstalled my windows in these years and I had never faced this problem. but last week I reset it again and since then I'm not able to connect to my Microsoft account. I've reset and reinstalled my windows many time after that and nothing has changed.
    Monday, September 25, 2017 3:29 PM

Monday, September 25, 2017 3:30 PM
  • today Microsoft admitted that it's a bug, and they say they are trying to solve it.

Monday, September 25, 2017 7:03 PM
  • I too am having the same issue and I've spent hours trying to fix it, including re-installation of Windows 8.

I'm not even getting to the step of inputting the MS account details, it simply fails to connect to the MS service for authentication.

The service is running on the PC etc and I've tried adding a local account and trying from there.

In fact the problem occurred at the point of installation, where I wanted to use the MS account off bat, during the installation and the same problem occurred.

I hope MS sorts this quickly, because I don't want to add another MS account.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 8:32 AM
  • This is definitely a MS bug.  I'm IT support in a college and all current win8.1 systems are connected to an account but any newly installed 8.1 systems won't connect and get the "Sorry, we couldn't connect to Microsoft services right now..." message.

Our school is a paying for this service and we depend on this for our courses.  We have about a dozen systems right now that are useless and costing us.  

This problem has been an issue for over a week.  This is unacceptable and should be resolved by now.

Please respect your customers and fix this issue.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 1:20 PM
  • Hi, I got same problem and I found this article on Forbes which might be helpful to you all.

Here is what this article says in short: Microsoft no longer supports ‘Windows 8.1’. Support for it ended in August 2015. You need to stay up-to-date and upgrade to windows 10... which is sad for me :(

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/01/12/microsoft-abandons-windows-8/#755188da2b64

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 3:36 PM
  • Same issues here. I decided to do a fresh Windows 8.1 install and am left with this issue. I click on "connect to a Microsoft account" and I get the "Sorry we couldn't connect error..."

I just spent over 3 hours with Microsoft via a chat window where they had control of my computer. They couldn't solve it.

The whole reason I am trying to get this to work is for OneDrive. I am about to take the plunge and try windows 10.

This is on a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 4:05 PM
  • OneDrive is a cloud service, that's available for free to all the owners of a Microsoft account. You can access all your data which was once stored on OneDrive through Windows 10 as well.
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 4:27 PM
  • Hi, I got same problem and I found this article on Forbes which might be helpful to you all.

Here is what this article says in short: Microsoft no longer supports ‘Windows 8.1’. Support for it ended in August 2015. You need to stay up-to-date and upgrade to windows 10... which is sad for me :(

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/01/12/microsoft-abandons-windows-8/#755188da2b64

It has nothing to do with that: the support of Windows 8.1 continues (it's ended only for Windows 8).

It's a bug.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 4:36 PM
  • Same issue here..  We purchased 2 Surface 3 tablets from Verizon for field operations.  They run win 8.1 I got them Friday and started setting them up yesterday.  I can not connect to a Microsoft account.  I don't get to a place to even enter our account information.  One of these tabs is going to an employee with an account already the other I need to create an account for but I can not do either from the tab's.  I can't set up the mail app, download anything from the store.  I was able to set up local accounts and download full programs for the desktop.  I applied all the updates with one exception the failed remove "upgrade to Win 10 notification" update.  Help Microsoft we need to get this bug resolved for our business. 
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 6:29 PM
  • Here is a link with more information

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/09/25/kb4038792-blocks-microsoft-account-sign-ins-for-some-windows-8-1-users/

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 8:58 PM
  • I've been having the same issue trying to connect a local account to a Microsoft account. It sucks because there's no access to Windows Store in the meantime. 
    Wednesday, September 27, 2017 8:54 AM
  • There is a partial solution for the store.

Choose to connect each app individually and it connects.

I did a fresh install, Windows 8.1 Pro, and I connected Store, Weather, News, Sports, Finance and I downloaded some apps.

No mail, though. :P

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 8:35 PM
  • I have same also. I had a problem with Onedrive and MS tech support advised to move to a local account and then back. A bad advice, I could not get back. I did a complete reinstall and the problem appeared immediately so it is not related to any update on the client computers. So now I am stuck with local. Fortunately most things seem to work but Onedrive is out. It also is not related to any specific account as the problem appears before the account is entered. 
    Wednesday, September 27, 2017 10:11 PM
  • You can set the mail app and use the store even with a local account. Check the "not recommend" options.
    Wednesday, September 27, 2017 10:16 PM
  • I have exact the same Problem. 1 time installed with all Updates and can not Change to microsoftaccount, 1 time installed without updates and with Internet, then one time without Updates and without connect by first start to Internet no Chance to Change to microsoftaccount. Good to create an Image that i can set my Installation with Updates back. Firewall all prepared rules even the store rules set in and set everything to allow outgoing and incomming traffic.

All Services was set to Manual by first start, and i have set all relevant Services, who run before, on my old working Installation exact as automatic running Services. I restart my Router in the Routermenue and shut it down and activate it again, get me the relevant routerdress IPV6 and IPV4 no Chance to Change to my years existing Windows 8.1. I create an other local user and delete my other user and try to Change to microsoftaccount no Chance. RAC and Routingservices run as well.

I hope you fix it soon for us, i cant begin to install my Programms before i cant Change to my microsoftaccount.

I checked your RAC Server ist offline by me but my Services run without Problems.

Everyone who have Trouble can check it by themself to do that in his cmd: <kbd>sc \\ServerName query RpcSs</kbd>

<kbd>I had the same Problems since 2011 4times. It helped me only a complete reinstall and download from another link. The link i have create my USB Stick is this link:</kbd>

https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/software-download/windows8

Thank you microsoft, i hope we get soon a patch for it

<kbd></kbd>

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 11:13 PM
  • I have also had this problem with an MS Surface.  I have applied over a dozen fixes, short of another new o/s install.  I was using a known functional name@gmail.com microsoft account.  It simply would not connect, showing the error "sorry we couldn't connect to Microsoft account right now. If this problem persists, search for network problems on the screen." as many others have noted in their posts.  

Once I signed up for a new Outlook.com account, it instantly worked. 

Hey Microsoft, are you that petty that you shut off access to Gmail accounts, or is this an honest mistake?

Scrooge54

Duncan

I Couldn't reach that email input stage
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 2:39 AM
  • Same here! I contacted Microsoft to fix my touch screen on Surface 2. They told me to do a recovery drive reset from the image online and now I can't get to the email input stage! Everything was fine until the reset. I'd rather have a non functioning touch screen than this!!

Thursday, September 28, 2017 12:55 PM
  • Hi: I too have the same issue. I had reinstalled Win 8.0 (then upgraded to Win 8.1) from a factory reset in late July.  All good; able to sign in and everything.  Then on 9/14/17, I again had to do a factory reset and reinstall Win 8.0 (and upgrade to Win 8.1).  This time, I couldn't sign in.  My laptop (that was factory reset back in June 2017 also upgraded to Win 8.1) is still able sign in just fine; no issues there!  Both devices are not using Proxy Servers; both are behind the same firewall, on the same wifi network, and running the same anti-virus/defender/firewall settings.  And I am able to sign in to my Win Live account via a web browser. 

So if there is something that MS can do to help, that would be great!

Friday, September 29, 2017 12:37 AM
  • You can set the mail app and use the store even with a local account. Check the "not recommend" options.

Unfortunately no Gmail option...
    Friday, September 29, 2017 4:46 AM
  • You can get the gmail working. Set it as imap and google for gmail settings.
    Friday, September 29, 2017 5:43 AM
  • Hi all,

I had the same problem. Just a few minutes ago, I could update my surfaceRT with 2 fixes (windows update).

I still can not login with my existing email adres (the same "sorry, we ... connect" message).

Now it is possible to go to onedrive, ad a new user (with email adres, so no local user). And now it works. 

I can login with a new user profile/with web credentials. Now I can use onedrive. The other apps (like outlook, etc) I uses with my own (old) microsoft address.

Enjoy.

• Proposed as answer by Egbert Seuters Friday, September 29, 2017 7:12 AM
    Friday, September 29, 2017 7:12 AM

• so, nothing new: it was already possible to set a new outlook.com account and sign in with it, and it was already was possible to log in your mail and other apps with your old account. This is not a solution for our problem

Friday, September 29, 2017 7:35 AM
  • Hello, I tried that tool and it says: you should have a microsoft account to sync data 
    P.S: I'm using windows 8.1 with a local account right now and I have the same thread problem while trying to sign into my microsoft account

Friday, September 29, 2017 6:05 PM
  • I have the same problem. Goood I spent a month trying to fix this now. I did so much to fix this and nothing has worked. I made a forum post on Microsoft tech support in a lot of detail. It still doesn't work. I had this problem on Windows 10 also!! And then I downgraded to Windows 8.1 and it hasn't worked. It isn't only Microsoft account tho... My Skype, Store, SmartScreen and Windows Update all didn't work, just suddenly happened around 8th September.

Windows Update works on Windows 8.1 now, but all the other things still don't. And it feels like the root of it is the inability to connect to my Microsoft account...

Link to my detailed post: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking-winpc/multiple-microsoft-services-not-working-skype/4167233b-df79-414b-921a-198ff650ac6f

I'm happy to see I'm not alone in this and I am really hoping Microsoft fixes this very soon!

Friday, September 29, 2017 10:38 PM
  • Hi Skypeapp in 8.1 is stopped long time ago. You get Skype only over an optional update from Windows Update as an download with the Number KB2876229. In Windows 10 the same problem by some users, i read it in another forum. But Windows 10 and 8.1 are total different errors. Till now no help or intro or official helpful statement what we must do to fix it from Microsoft. I wait till friday last week for a fix now. Thats not nice from Microsoft. Till now nothing on our Situation has changed.
    Saturday, September 30, 2017 12:32 AM
  • for Store you must create an extra firewallrule in in- and outbound rules. First you name it Store, then you set it for all programs and then you must set the prepared service and paket  Winstore_Cw5... and Windows Store Service in. It get even a paketnumber but its not so important to put it in the rule. After that you open cmd and do wsreset in and it must work fine but you cant connect in store with your Microsoftaccount before you have not change from local to Microsoftaccount and thats at the moment not possibe. That Apps run watch even out that your Clock-Time is synchronized.
    Saturday, September 30, 2017 12:46 AM

I am having the exact same issue as described here and have done exactly what most have posted and nothing works... MS, fix the darn bug for us!
    Saturday, September 30, 2017 7:49 PM
  • Has anyone seen any update on this issue? It is preventing me adding a child account the MS surface and it means I cant apply the appropriate monitoring and restrictions to my young daughters account?
    Monday, October 02, 2017 9:29 AM
  • @EvaSTO

today Microsoft admitted that it's a bug, and they say they are trying to solve it.

Where did you find this information?
    • Edited by Abner (BR) Monday, October 02, 2017 3:17 PM
    Monday, October 02, 2017 2:46 PM

But I was using my Microsoft account with Windows 7 until last weekend. One thing is end the support, other is stop working. 
    Monday, October 02, 2017 2:48 PM
  • The whole reason I am trying to get this to work is for OneDrive. 

Same problema here. 

Other course of action could be make OneDrive client loggin independently of Windows account, what is possible for OneDrive for Business. 

Monday, October 02, 2017 2:51 PM

• Choose to connect each app individually and it connects.

How?
    Monday, October 02, 2017 2:53 PM
  • @EvaSTO

today Microsoft admitted that it's a bug, and they say they are trying to solve it.

Where did you find this information?

"... this is a known issue for Windows 8.1 and Windows RT operating system and we are working for the fix. Even though we don't have an estimated time for the fix, you may get back to us and check for the status of the issue."

see here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-security-winacc/cannot-connect-to-microsoft-account/091254a9-6802-4582-bd82-73c89132f57e?auth=1

and even here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-security/cannot-login-with-microsoft-account/467b730a-69c2-4991-953a-8e613186763a

Monday, October 02, 2017 6:38 PM

• Choose to connect each app individually and it connects.

How?

he means you can log in in with your MS ID using a web browser, or using the different apps (Store, Mail, etc.).

All these in fact never stopped working. And even if you have an account already set to log into your 8.1 machine, it will continue to work perfectly well.

You can even create an outlook.com new account and it will work (this isn't true for hotmail.com).

The bug is that you actually can't add your old (and perfectly working) Microsoft account to sign into your Windows 8.1. You can access your account using a browser, or access any app that need your account, but you can only run a local account in your computer (or a MS account added before the bug)

Monday, October 02, 2017 6:48 PM
  • thanks for your reply.

I can. the problem is not about Microsoft account itself, it says "sorry we couldn't connect to Microsoft account right now. If this problem persists, search for network problems on the screen." I did that but nothing accomplished. this error occurs before entering account username.

I'm having the same problem. My mom recently bought me a gaming-ish computer for my birthday. She got it from the pond shop she says they factory reset it before they sold it. So mabye when you factory reset it, it messes up I really don't know i'm having the same problem prob because they factory reset it. 
    Tuesday, October 03, 2017 6:05 PM
  • Microsoft get user with this trouble a legal chance and solution to upgrade to the newest Windows 10 for free.

So my problem is for over one week with 4 times reupdates and trouble in 8.1 solved if i had legal change on 30th September to Windows 10.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install

-winsubother/switching-from-local-account-to-microsoft-account/

1107c290-14b2-4ed8-be28-d12f40ca70a8

I know its not a solution to help in 8.1 trouble. But its a good deal for our big trouble to change for free to Windows 10.

Tuesday, October 03, 2017 11:47 PM
  • I have had the same problem too. I had too reset my laptop from widows 10 as it was not working well and then downgraded to windows 8, during setup I was told I had to use a local account as the laptop couldn't connect to Microsoft right now. I keep trying to log in but it says the same thing over and over.
    Wednesday, October 04, 2017 5:15 AM
  • I am having the same issue. I've tried just about everything suggested here and nothing works. I don't even get a sign-in box - just the same error over and over. I have 3 outlook accounts now - i don't know why I created new ones since i don't even get the chance to enter any ID. I have an old Surface RT which is great when I just want to browse the net or use word or excel 

I hope this bug gets fixed soon. 

Friday, October 06, 2017 11:04 PM
  • Yes! Thank you! That works perfectly- choosing to connect to each app individually works and at least you can use the store. Well done
    Monday, October 09, 2017 9:10 AM
  • this is was fixed today! LOL
    • Edited by sm.lucas Wednesday, October 11, 2017 9:00 PM
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 8:52 PM
  • Edge is not syncing my favorites / bookmarks on Windows 10 with Fall Creator Update.

Downloaded the "Microsoft Account Troubleshooter" from here and it says:

Can't connect to the sync service

Some people say it is a DNS problem but honestly I think it is a programming error in the MS software because no other software on my PC ever had a DNS related problem which I had to fix by manually setting some DNS server to a specific IP.

Can somebody please inform the responsible dev team at Microsoft to fix this problem?

• Edited by Qu4rkz Monday, January 01, 2018 1:01 AM
    Monday, January 01, 2018 12:58 AM