none
SSAS Writeback when measure in rows RRS feed

• Question

• Good day, please help.

I have a dimension that contains multiple rows of measurename with 1 fact measure value = Actual

MeasureName   Fact_Actual

Volume             100

Value                200

I would like to insert writeback on Measurename = Value only, i have read that writeback can only be when measure physical fact table column.

So i dont think writeback on specific dimension value only will work

or i was thinking, having a seprate fact measure in table relating to the Dimension Row "Value", enbale writeback then insert a trigger on writeback table to run pkg that appends the net value of second fact to main fact and refreshes the cube

i dont know hat im saying will work, and not sure in trigger a ssis package can be called to execute.

Please help with your thoughts.

Regards

Friday, May 29, 2020 2:34 PM

All replies

• On the option of editing all the measrenames in actual fact measure but ignore or allow only the measurename "value" writeback values?

• Edited by Ismailc1 Sunday, May 31, 2020 10:49 PM
    Sunday, May 31, 2020 9:59 AM
  • Hi Ismailc1,

As I understand, you have a fact table which has columns as MeasureName   Fact_Actual etc. You want to have writeback only on those that has MeasureName = Value .

In my opinion, you could set a new partition of the fact table. Using a filter, MeasureName = "Value". Then set the writeback property for the partition as enable.

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 1, 2020 5:57 AM
  • Hi, wow Thank You very much.

can you explain alttle more or have an example, would the partition double up the row Value within the dimension measurename and in the Actual_Fact

or does it create another fact measure Actaula_Fact2

please im very keen but not sure.

I dont want to create another measure with writeback as i would have to do something funny with pushing/synchronizing back to the origianl dimension measure name.

Regards  

Monday, June 1, 2020 4:03 PM
  • I think you could probably control this with Cell Security (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/multidimensional-models/grant-custom-access-to-cell-data-analysis-services?view=asallproducts-allversions) by dynamically setting Read and/or Read/Write permissions at the cell level. Note that this can add a lot of extra overhead to your cube so altering the structure of you cube may be a more practical solution

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Monday, June 1, 2020 11:25 PM
  • Hi,

Your partitions should not have overlapped data, otherwise they will double up.

So I think in the writeback enabled partition you should have the query ends up with where clause select xxx where MeasureName = "Value". In other partition you need to have : select xxxx where MeasureName<>"Value"

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 9:58 AM
  • Hi,

I am busy setting up the partition for writeback,

i need an additional liine measure which is the edit version of the writeback

meaning, i have 2 writeback lines but the second one is edit of the first edit (if that makes sense :) ) 

Friday, June 5, 2020 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

I need 2 writebacks, Wrtieback A is Phase 1 then followed by Writeback B which should be the value of the changed Writeback A value for edit

Please Help?

Friday, June 5, 2020 9:48 PM
  • Hi, Any update on having an witeback copy of a writeback?

the users want to keep the original edited version to track the changes from different phases

Monday, June 8, 2020 1:58 AM
  • IMHO, we can't.

Although this seems like a logical request, but SSAS writeback isn't aiming for track and log data activities. I think we need to find in another direction.

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 5:49 AM
  • Hi,

Yes this has become very complexed to achieve

regards

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 7:47 PM
  • Maybe we should solve this kind of request in other direction , adding extra log table or so.

Friday, June 12, 2020 9:26 AM
  • adding extra log file, example please?
    Saturday, June 13, 2020 4:31 PM