none
Video Card Missing

Question

• I've installed Windows To Go using the Rufus utility with a USB 3 with 190 mb/s read times. However, the operating system is extremely laggy and I think it might have something to do with the fact my Video Card (1070) is not showing up in dxdiag or device manager meaning I can't install the nvidia drivers - it simply says Microsoft Display Adapter.

Any thought appreciated.

• Edited by TheBaron22 Wednesday, December 13, 2017 2:35 AM
    Wednesday, December 13, 2017 2:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What about boot the machine without USB, seeing if the video card is shown in Device Manager on the physical machine. 

Here are some general steps you can follow:

1.Perform a clean boot to disable the third-party software coflicts:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

2.Open command Prompt as administrator and type

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

start devmgmt.msc

Once Device Manager windows opens, click the View menu and select Show hidden devices from the drop-down menu. After that, any devices that are not connected to the computer will be shown, including the NVIDIA Graphics card.

Uninstall each instance of the NVIDIA card and unknown device (The unknown device will be listed under category Other devices.)

After uninstallation, restart your computer then Windows will reinstall the driver automatically.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 14, 2017 3:17 AM
  • Hi,

If you have further updates,please let me know.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 15, 2017 2:02 AM
  • I have a windows 10 alienware laptop with an NVIDIA GEFORCE 750m and even following the above steps, my  NVIDIA will not show under device manager, even with 'show hidden devices' checked! I hve deleted everything Nvidia related, as another tutorial suggested,  but it wont work

Tuesday, January 02, 2018 5:41 AM