none
"Cannot connect to the configuration database" (MOSS 2007)

Question

• After thinking I'd successfully set up my lab environment, I find myself ready to go study PHP!

I've spent the last eight hours going through the instructions at :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823287

with no success. 

In my lab I have two physical servers involved.  An IIS server which is also running AD, DNS, VPN, SMTP, and FTP.  I have a second server which is running SQL 2005.  I installed Sharepoint 2007 on the IIS server using this walkthrough as a guideline:
    http://www.sharepointforum.com/en-US/Wiki/Installation MOSS 2007.aspx

SQL is definately running.
    IIS is NOT in isolation mode
    I have network connectivity between servers, and can access the SQL Server databases from the Sharepoint machine via SQL server Management Studio.

I tried the steps in "step 3" and I think I have it but those instructions must be written for a different version of SQL Server or Sharepoint cuz they don't line up with what I see.  (BTW I know very little about SQL Server) I set up an array of Service accounts like "SPConfigSvc" as directed in the walkthrough but when I look at my application pools they are assigned to "Network Service" (which also seems to have the rights in SQL server).

Basically, I think I'm lost with the permissions.  I don't even know what information to provide you folks.  Can someone give me a pointer or three?

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:29 PM LOST! removed from subject. Just a way to try to attract attention ...
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 8:06 AM

Answers

• Ok. For more clarifications: I saw that yuo are runnig into AD environment. In that care I want to ask if any of servers (ISS - MOSS WebAPP or SQL Server are runing on Domain controller?)

If not follow that steps:
    1. Create an Domain account let's say SQLSvc and makit member of Administrators on SQL Server.
    2. Creare another domain user on AD with name MOSSInstall and make it member of Administrators on MOSS WebApp and SQL Server.
    3. If you want to use Kerberos auth run setspn on DC for these accounts.
    4. Configure SQL Services to run under SQLSvc credentials
    5. Install MOSS on WebApp and do not start configure wizard console.
    6. Use psconfig to create database.
    Example:
    psconfig -cmd configdb -create -server YourSQLServerName -database YourDBName -user yourdomain\MOSSInstall -password mossinstallpassword -admincontentdatabase admindbname

Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Woo Hoo!  I got it working!

I had several things wrong, and you helped.  I needed to use the NetBIOS Domain name for my user id in the configuration wizard, and I needed to use the new user ID I  created as you suggested.  Once I used that combination everything worked fine.  Thanks for your help!
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 8:59 PM

All replies

• Ok. For more clarifications: I saw that yuo are runnig into AD environment. In that care I want to ask if any of servers (ISS - MOSS WebAPP or SQL Server are runing on Domain controller?)

If not follow that steps:
    1. Create an Domain account let's say SQLSvc and makit member of Administrators on SQL Server.
    2. Creare another domain user on AD with name MOSSInstall and make it member of Administrators on MOSS WebApp and SQL Server.
    3. If you want to use Kerberos auth run setspn on DC for these accounts.
    4. Configure SQL Services to run under SQLSvc credentials
    5. Install MOSS on WebApp and do not start configure wizard console.
    6. Use psconfig to create database.
    Example:
    psconfig -cmd configdb -create -server YourSQLServerName -database YourDBName -user yourdomain\MOSSInstall -password mossinstallpassword -admincontentdatabase admindbname

Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Yes, the sharepoint server is alo running on the domain controller.  I don't have any other computers in my lab to put it on.

Should I continue with these steps?
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 8:43 PM
  • Try, but is totally unrecommended to run a web server into a DC... even into a test environment.
    Set up your accounts and follow the steps and keep me connected :)
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 8:45 PM
  • OK,
    I created a user called SQLAdmin, and added that user to the administrator group on the SQL Server box.

I created a user call SharepointAdmin and added that user to the administrator group on the SQL Server box, then opened the Sharepoint Central Administration page and added SharepointAdmin to the [FarmAdministrators] group

I'm using NTLM, not Kerberos

I opened SERVICES on the SQL Server box, and assigned SQL Server to log on as SQLAdmin.

I'm ready for step 5, but I'm not sure what you mean.  Do you mean create a new web application under Sharepoint like I was trying to do, or reinstall Sharepoint from scratch?

Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:50 PM
  •  I "Skipped" Step 5 and ran the command line:

(I've replaced the password with XXX's)

psconfig -cmd configdb -create -server sql -database SharepointAdminContent2 -user dynamic-arts.com\SharepointAdmin -password XXXXXXXXXX -admincontentdatabase SharePoint_AdminContent_c19b0e5c-5d45-46d4-9fdf-747f0675dd8a

SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard version 12.0.6217.1000
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 2005. All rights reserved.

The admincontentdatabase parameter specified with the configdb command is invalid.
    The Central Administration Web Application content database name located at the
    specified database server contains user-defined data.  Databases must be empty before they can be used.  Delete all of the tables, stored procedures, and other
    objects, or use a different database.

I'm making several assumptions which may be incorrect. 
    I assumed the first DB name is one I'm creating and should not exist :(SharepointAdminContent2)
    I assumed that the second DB name is an existing DB and copied the name of the admin content database I saw in the SQL Server console.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 10:10 PM
  • psconfig must be runed before Starting Configuration Wizard. In that step is supposed that you do not have any db created or installed. psconfig is used to create a new config db and admin content db. Is not necessary to reinstall MOSS... but try psconfig with correct parameters. Use NetBIOS name of your domain for user parameter.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 8:43 AM
  • Woo Hoo!  I got it working!

I had several things wrong, and you helped.  I needed to use the NetBIOS Domain name for my user id in the configuration wizard, and I needed to use the new user ID I  created as you suggested.  Once I used that combination everything worked fine.  Thanks for your help!
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 8:59 PM
  • You welcome! Good luck !
    Monday, January 12, 2009 7:31 AM
  • I had the same issue today for a web app (Site Directory) with a Site Collection  that I created yesterday.  I deleted and recreated the web app to no avail.  I remembered seeing a blog for a issue which prevented users creating my sites from the main portal. This was relolved when the AppPool user was added the Farm Administrators so I did just that with my user: MOSSAppPoolProjects.

Result: my site diretory is now back in business   

Is this a valid approach or is it a bit of a "sledge hammer",  Could anyone please  confirm the roles and user mappings that should be created by the Create or Extend Web Application wizzard rather than the ones I may have added in trying to resolve this issue?

• Edited by DanTheManXX Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:28 PM Systax correction
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:23 PM