none
Unable to open SSMS due to Visual Studio 2015 Shell RRS feed

• Question

• When opening SSMS I receive an error: cannot find one or more components. 
    I found a solution to repair VS 2015 shell as it is dependent on SSMS.
    However, the repair fails and sends out this error: "Visual Studio 2015 Prerequisites".
    Log file says: " MUX:  P8 - Invalid Drive: D:\" 

I searched a lot for solution but unsuccessful. I don't have a D:\ drive and I believe it should be changed, but I don't know how.
    I can't paste the full log file as I'm new user here.

I would greatly appreciate your help, as I'm out of options.
    Saturday, October 19, 2019 12:32 PM

All replies

• Which version of SSMS is this?

The most recent version of SSMS is based on the VS2017 shell, so trying the new version may circumvent the problems you have now.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt238290.aspx

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Saturday, October 19, 2019 5:07 PM
  • Hi lovrom23,

Which version of SSMS did you use? I suggest you install SSMS 18.3.1. Please refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms?view=sql-server-2017 for dowmload.

>> cannot find one or more components.

This may be caused by a corruption of the Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Shell (isolation). Please try the following steps:

1. Uninstall SSMS the same way you uninstall any application.

2. Uninstall Visual Studio 2015 IsoShell from an elevated cmd prompt:

PUSHD "C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\FE948F0DAB52EB8CB5A740A77D8934B9E1A8E301\redist"

vs_isoshell.exe /Uninstall /Force /PromptRestart

3. Uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable the same way you uninstall any application(both the x64 and x86 if they're on your computer).

4. Reinstall Visual Studio 2015 IsoShell from an elevated cmd prompt:

PUSHD "C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\FE948F0DAB52EB8CB5A740A77D8934B9E1A8E301\redist"

vs_isoshell.exe /PromptRestart

5. Reinstall SSMS.

6. Upgrade to the latest version of the Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable if you're not currently up-to-date.

In addition, please refer to this blog might be helpful to you.

Hope this could help you.

Best Regards,

Amelia Gu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 7:22 AM