none
Why am i getting a new drive listed called ESP (F:)?

Question

• when i go to my file explorer in Windows 8.1 all of a sudden a new drive is listed called ESP (F:). It didn't show this before today. My laptop is about a year old and now this is showing up.

When I click on it i get an error as shown in the image.

What is this drive, why does it show up when it didn't before and why can't i access it?

The only thing that happened in the last 24 hours was an automatic update by windows. But I don't know what that update was.

Keith Aul

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 10:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, it seems like EFI System Partition (ESP).

Reinstall sometimes does not clean up these partitions or re-use them. Ideally during the reinstall if possible make sure all old partitions are removed and let the reinstall start with a completely clean drive.

I noticed that the partition is only 496Mb, it probably is a leftover from the original installation, not worth trying to reclaim the space and can be ignored. The easiest way to do that is to use Disk Manager to remove the drive letter, if it does not have one it won't be listed in Explorer.

Information on UEFI disk structure is here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/dd744301(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 11, 2016 9:44 AM
  • Got the same drive a couple of days ago (maybe today).
    Win 10 Pro 10.0.10586, ESP drive is 96MB. No permission to enter the drive, too.
    Personally I suspect KB3172729 installed on August 10 among a bunch of Office updates.
    Friday, August 12, 2016 8:06 PM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem? How about the solution we have provided? We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 7:20 AM
  • Two issues with this:  1. I got a new Drive F through Windows updates, NOT through a re-install.

2. My Laptop SSD is very small and can not be upgraded. Every MB counts. Losing 256MB to a new drive that should not have been created is not good. I can't view the contents or delete it either.

BTW: Managing this too small SSD is a real issue with Windows updates that seem to support programs I don't even use. Forces me to read the description of every update and decide to allow it or not. I'd rather be doing the work that I am paid to do than managing the drive on my computer.

UPDATE:  I should have done the first thing everyone should do. Turn it off and back on again. Now the drive letter is gone and the space is back in the main disk. It's probably just a part of the update process that I should have ignored. Oops.
    • Edited by CluelessJoe Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:13 PM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2016 12:49 PM
  • Not sure about this but have the same problem on Acer Aspire Under Win 10 x64.

Right click on the ESP drive -> Properties -> Hardware

I have a Canon MG7100 series USB device listed as drive.

Who has Something like this ?

Saturday, August 20, 2016 3:15 PM
  • I have the same problem, though my drive is only 96,0MB. it is called "kingston rbu-sc152s37128gg2" and i think i have a kingston SSD in my laptop as well, win10, Acer aspire E15. 64-bit as well, bought recently.
    Monday, August 22, 2016 5:00 PM
  • ESP drive is not found in disk manager and the there is no network path for the drive. my ESP drive is of size 96.0 MB and 47.4 MB is occupied by some data.this drive is not opening.
    Saturday, October 29, 2016 5:40 AM
  • This may be the problem and I think we should be able to access it! I have tried all the possible ways M.S. has it locked tight I think. Don't install it got installed on my desktop after a full recovery with 2.7 GB Win 8.1 updates my wife's has not been updated and she doesn't is set like me DL new updates but we will pick which ones will be installed. I do believe it creates this ESP F: drive.

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.245.730.0)

Download size: 12.3 MB

Update type: Important

Install this update to revise the definition files that are used to detect viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

Saturday, June 10, 2017 6:42 PM
  • Got your problem solved or not?
    Wednesday, January 03, 2018 5:58 PM