none
Sync 2 active directory backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! I have a domain with his active directory, now I create a virtual machine and I need to sync active directory from domain in virtual machine to be like a backup. In virtual machine users from different departaments will can share files. Thank you!
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 11:28 AM

All replies

• The simplest method is to build another one from scratch. I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting. Then stand up the new guest, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to again verify health.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 12:34 PM
  • Hi,

Before going further, i would like to ask the following questions .

What is your main purpose? Backup your ad or make users using virtual machines can share files?

Would you please give more details ?

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 18, 2019 7:55 AM
  • My main purpose is to share files for users and to be like a backup also. Thank you!
    Friday, July 19, 2019 5:44 AM
  • Hi,

Recommend you promo the virtual machine as a BDC to sync the ad.

Normally, because DCs require a higher level of security, shared files are not placed on the DC but on the folder server.

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 19, 2019 9:39 AM
  • But also note there hasn't been a PDC / BDC concept since the days of Windows NT. Within Active Directory, objects that are updated on one Domain Controller are then replicated to other domain controllers through multi-master replication.

For the volume backups something here might help.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/file-server/volume-shadow-copy-service

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 19, 2019 12:02 PM