none
Domain name for local appliances RRS feed

• Question

• This feels like a silly problem, but I don't want to trip over something unexpected.

I have an Office 365 Premium account plus RMS premium, for Azure Information Protection (for now).

At home I have a couple of computers and a connected (wired) sound system, 4KTVs (also used as monitors), some WiFi access points, printer, FTTC modem, Gateway Security device (router) and switch. All network devices are  fully managed.

My network controller software runs on a little Debian appliance, and it does the job. Unfortunately, this device (called a Cloud-Key) was supplied by the manufacturer with a non-functional SSL certificate. So I can't HTTPS into it, only HTTP. Which is both an irritation and a weakness. To fix this I thought to get (buy) a proper cert and install it on the Cloud-Key. This cert will be used by the appliance hardware and the controller software.

At this point, my first problem appears.

I have an Office365 account, that includes a MS Cloud based Exchange server, with the appropriate certs from GoDaddy. I also have an Azure AD domain. I had a certain amount of stuffing around to make sure that my cloud based domain appeared as mycompany.com rather than mycompany.onmicrosoft.com.

My home network makes no reference to my Office 365 domain. My local computers/devices are part of a Workgroup, called WORKGROUP, but I can log-in to my Office365 and Azure Accounts without problems.

And now the problem. To get a certificate for the Cloud-Key I have to supply a FQDN, and I do not need to open additional chargeable Office 365 / Azure accounts. So what FQDN should I use for the cert I buy from the Cert Authority for the Debian Cloud Key?

If it is relevant, I am considering exploring using Azure Radius authentication for Wi-Fi as I permit apartment building staff to access my guest Wi-Fi, and would liker to control  such access properly.

I'm sure this is a really dumb question, but I'd rather discover that before the fact, not after.

I've tried to explain the situation , if anything is not clear, I apologise and will amplify if asked.

Thanks for your patience,

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 6:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Robin,

Based on my research, using what FQDN depends on the network device's functionality. Since this forum is for Microsoft Office applications and we are not familiar with the Cloud-Key, I'd recommend you contact the dedicated support of the service or contact other users of the service to see if they have some experiences on this.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 28, 2016 8:39 AM