none
Product Key not recognized when reinstalling Windows 8

Question

• I am trying to determine why my Product Key is not recognized when reinstalling Windows 8.1 to my laptop. I obtained the Product Key from the BIOS using a utility since MS 8.1 download does  not recognize it automatically.  When I try install 8.1 obtained using the MS download tool, the Product Key is not recognized when I enter it.

My laptop originally came installed with 8.0 and I upgraded to Windows 10 but now need to go back due to performance of recent upgrades to 10.

Is there anyway I can recover my Windows 8 installation?

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 9:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is that you get the product key by third party utility?

What’s your Windows license type, OEM or retail?

If it is OEM, please use the OEM media to reinstall.
    Have you upgraded to Windows 8.1 before you upgrade to Windows 10.

If no, there is no official Windows 8.0 creation tool for you to download, and Windows 8.0 product key can’t download Windows 8. creation tool.

From following article, it mentions “If your PC manufacturer provided the option, you might be able to restore your device to factory settings. If options to go back and restore factory settings aren’t available, you can use installation media and a product key to install an earlier version of Windows.”

Upgrade to Windows 10: FAQ

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 7:30 AM
  •  

Hi, 

How’s everything going? Please feel free to give me any update.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:15 AM