none
DFSRS spiking CPU to 100% RRS feed

• Question

• I've taken over at a new company that is a complete mess when it comes to their file servers. They're running DFS from the main office to a colo for DR but the namespaces are a complete mess (structure wise) and they have 2 file servers at the main office. I'm in the process of migrating the data from the 2 FS's to a freshly built one. I used DFS to do so and I have all the files moved over. The NTFS permissions were also a mess, everything was controlled on a user basis vs using groups. I've begun updating this and I think I may have messed something up relating to DFS. Since making the permission changes one of the old FS's has been spiking CPU to 100%, if I stop the DFSRS service the server becomes usable again. I'm not extremely familiar with DFS, please let me know what other info you may need.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:18 PM

Answers

• Nothing, but I did figure out the cause. Not all of the replication groups were set to not allow replication during the day. Three of the groups were set to full for anytime. Two of them are the ones I updated permissions on. After fixing the schedule and re-enabling the DFSR service everything is working as expected, no more CPU spike.

Thank you for all your help.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:10 PM

All replies

• I'm a little unclear; is the service spiking on the Namespace server or the file server? You can start by checking the DFSR log, filtering the System log for DFS-related events, and viewing the DFS logs in c:\windows\debug.  That being said....

See the notes under "does DFS replicate updated permissions on a file or folder?"

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc773238(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_074 

Depending on how much data you re-acled, it's conceivable you pushed a lot of changes. If it's a lot, this server might be struggling to keep up.  You might need to consider increasing the Staging area to accommodate these changes.

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc754229.aspx

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:58 PM
  • The service is spiking on the file server. There aren't and DFSR logs in the Windows Log, the DFSR Service Logs just show warnings of certain replication groups losing connection then regaining connection. I have the schedule set to not allow replication during office hours so it shouldn't be replicating anything during the day anyway. Not sure whats using the DFSRS.exe service.

I'll take a look at those articles, and I have increased my staging area to 16GB.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:14 PM
  • So after reading the link I may understand whats happening. I have 3 FS's in the main office right now, the original 2 (FS1 and FS2) and the freshly built (FS3). I have replicated all data from FS1/FS2 to FS3. I then changed the permissions on the shares via FS3. The changes are now in the process of replicating back to FS2 (I only changed shares that were originally on FS2).

Based on that shouldn't I see the performance hit on FS3 as it stages the changes? If replication is not allowed during the day why would this cause a CPU spike on FS2?

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:34 PM
  • That's what I would think as well.  Are you seeing anything in the FS2 logs?

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:56 PM
  • Nothing, but I did figure out the cause. Not all of the replication groups were set to not allow replication during the day. Three of the groups were set to full for anytime. Two of them are the ones I updated permissions on. After fixing the schedule and re-enabling the DFSR service everything is working as expected, no more CPU spike.

Thank you for all your help.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:10 PM