none
Workaround to using "Person or Group" field in a "Calculated" column formula? RRS feed

• Question

• Apparently, SharePoint does not allow you to insert a "Person or Group" column into a "Calculated" field's formula.

Is there a workaround to adding a "Person or Group" column into a "Calculated" field's formula?

-Maybe a way of coverting the data from the Person or Group column into a text field, and referencing that text field in the formula?

Microsoft mentions only Columns of the following data types can be referenced in a formula: single line of text, number, currency, date and time, choice, yes/no, and calculated.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:13 PM

Answers

• Hi AskMicrosoft,

Have you tried to use a workflow?

1 Create a new text column in the list.

2 Create a workflow and use Update item in this list Action > Add the new text column to the value in people and group column.

Then you can add the text column in calculate formula.

Hope it helps.

Best regards. Emir
    • Marked as answer by AskMicrosoft Wednesday, November 24, 2010 5:07 PM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:02 AM

All replies

• I currently have a calculated field that highlights the event title in a calendar based on whether a name field has text or not. The name field is currently a text field and I would like it to be a "Person or Group" field.
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:46 PM
  • Would it be possible to access the SharePoint list in an .xml file (I know how to do this) and to automatically parse the "People or Group" from the .xml file into a text field in the same list?
    Friday, November 19, 2010 6:28 AM
  • Hi AskMicrosoft,

Have you tried to use a workflow?

1 Create a new text column in the list.

2 Create a workflow and use Update item in this list Action > Add the new text column to the value in people and group column.

Then you can add the text column in calculate formula.

Hope it helps.

Best regards. Emir
    • Marked as answer by AskMicrosoft Wednesday, November 24, 2010 5:07 PM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:02 AM
  • That worked! I love simple solutions!
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 5:07 PM
  • I tried implementing the steps you provided above and the behavior is not working as expected. The workflow generates the email as expected, however the newly created text field is being populated with the user's Domain name (DOMAIN\USERID) format instead of the user's first and last name (e.g. John Smith) as I was trying to accomplish. How can I accomplish populating the User's name from the Person field, instead of their Domain name?
    Friday, December 20, 2013 4:39 PM