none
Sharepoint 2013 and drag & drop file to ,libaries doesnt work with ie9, with crome it works. :-(

Question

• We habe installed SP 2013 with all Cum. Updates and the problem is:

we cant drag and drop file from Filesystem to a libary:-(  With Crome it works fine.

Cant Microsoft develop Sharepoint drag and drop with there own browser.

weh have installed Office 2010 an every PC.  we cant migrate to Office 2013 now. not possible due to other reasons.

Has anybody a solution for it.

THX su much

CHris

HC

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Unfortunately the drag and drop works in IE8 and IE9 only if you have Office 2013 installed.  This is because this functionality is driven using HTML5, which works in Chrome (and Firefox).  Office 2013 adds in an ActiveX control will allows this functionality in older IE versions.  If you can upgrade to IE10 you'll be set.

Here is a TechNet blog post explaining the limitation: http://blogs.technet.com/b/wkng/archive/2012/11/07/sharepoint-server-2013-drag-and-drop-contents-to-library.aspx

Post on Office 2013 and ActiveX control:

http://www.techoui.com/post/2012/12/Enable-SharePoint-2013-Drag-and-Drop-for-Users-with-No-or-Older-Office-Versions.aspx

Brandon Atkinson
    Blog: http://brandonatkinson.blogspot.com

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:58 PM
  • I also wrote two articles about this subject:

Limitations:

http://www.jasperoosterveld.com/2012/12/sharepoint-2013-drag-and-drop.html

Requirements:

http://www.jasperoosterveld.com/2012/08/sharepoint-2013-drag-and-drop.html

Blog: www.jasperoosterveld.com Twitter: @SharePTJasper

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:17 AM
  • i have office 2010 and IE9. The drag and drop somehow is working. Everything is on my desktop with window 7 sp1. I am not sure what is making it works. I dont have IE 10 or office 2013.
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:35 PM
  • I found in my testing I needed to do three things to get everything fully working. Just applying the Designer 2013 foundation items solved one issue but then made it so you could not open files directly from a library, adding Office 2010 SP2 fixed opening files, but made it so files would not fully upload when using drag and drop, copying the DLL fixed the last drag and drop issue and everything worked as expected.

Here is what I did:

1. Started with a clean Win7 PRO x64 install running IE8 fully patched to 7/30/13
    2. Installed Office 2010 STD x32, apply SP2
    3. Install SharePoint Designer 2013 x32, Foundation components only
    4. Renamed OWSSUPP.DLL in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14 to OWSSUPP.DLL.OLD
    5. Copied OWSSUPP.DLL from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15 to C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
    6. Rebooted
    7. All drag and drop working, can open office files directly from library, and can save files directly to library from Office client (tested Word 2010 and Excel 2010)
    8. Applied update to upgrade to IE9
    9. All drag and drop working, can open office files directly from library, and can save files directly to library from Office client (tested Word 2010 and Excel 2010)

Hope that helps.

Dave Kuehling

Codesigned

www.codesigned.com

• Proposed as answer by Dave Kuehling Wednesday, July 31, 2013 4:18 PM
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:42 PM
  • Hi

We have Windows 2012 where we are trying to use drag n drop with IE 10, however it doesn't work

What do i need to check in IE 10 for enabling this

Open windows explorer is working fine after  enabling webclient ( by adding Desktop experience )

Sunday, August 18, 2013 10:50 PM
  • First: Chris, thanks for posting this discussion.

Second: Dave, copying the dll and rebooting worked for my environment (IE8, Office 2013).

Thanks Guys!

David Crighton

Friday, October 18, 2013 1:23 PM
  • My issue is the drag and drop is working with one document library but it is not working for another document library. How can it be possible.?
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 5:56 AM
  • Do you have Contribute access on both libraries? Apparently Contribute is needed, not just Add.
    • Proposed as answer by Lance Paw Monday, October 05, 2015 5:52 PM
    Friday, November 14, 2014 11:51 PM
  • Can someone please provide a summary of the instructions in the "techoui" post linked to above (cannot include link right now), as the site is unavailable and I'm trying to enable drag and drop functionality from SharePoint 2013 to Outlook? We currently use Office 2010. 

I was previously successful enabling this functionality for myself and other staff members with a custom install of SharePoint designer and an install of service pack 1, however I can no longer access the detailed instructions on the above site. Can anyone help with this?

Thank you. 

Thursday, March 24, 2016 5:11 PM
  • My users have IE11, Office 2013 and SharePoint 2013 and they cannot drag and drop or Quick Edit.  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Monday, October 17, 2016 1:38 PM