none
List view threshold error

Question

• After upgrading to SharePoint 2010 some of my users got the list view threshold error because they had more than 5000 items in it.  Perhaps I'm confused as to how the views work but I thought you could configure a view to use filtering and set an item limit to get around this error message.  Even if I create a view that has an item limit of 1 it still throws up this error.  Is there something else factoring into the total item count?  Is it because I'm filtering items and grouping them too?  Based on my changes this new view should only show around 40 items but I'm still getting the error message.  

If I increase the threshold in Central Admin then it works fine but I really don't want to do that.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:30 PM

Answers

• Please read this if this applied to you:

Creating filtered views based on column indexes

For a view to quickly filter through a large number of items, the first column that you specify in the filter must be indexed. Other columns you specify in the view filter may or may not be indexed, but the view does not use those indexes. "You also need to make sure that the first column of the filter does not return more items than the List View Threshold, even if the final result of the filtered view returns less than the List View Threshold. If the first column of the filter returns more items than the List View Threshold, you can use a filter with two or more columns When you define a filtered view that uses two or more columns, using an AND operator will usually limit the total number of items returned. But even in this case, you still need to specify as the first column in the filter the column that most likely returns the lesser amount of data. Note that using an OR filter almost always increases the number of items returned and won't be effective under these circumstances."

Important    If you are filtering a list by an indexed field, check your recycle bin for deleted items. Items in the recycle bin aren't actually deleted from the backend database until they are removed from the recycle bin. If the total number of filtered items in the list and in the recycle bin is greater than the List Threshold limit, then you may get an incomplete set of results, or none at all.

Amrita Talreja
    • Marked as answer by GWsysadmin Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:50 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:26 PM

All replies

• Please read this if this applied to you:

Creating filtered views based on column indexes

For a view to quickly filter through a large number of items, the first column that you specify in the filter must be indexed. Other columns you specify in the view filter may or may not be indexed, but the view does not use those indexes. "You also need to make sure that the first column of the filter does not return more items than the List View Threshold, even if the final result of the filtered view returns less than the List View Threshold. If the first column of the filter returns more items than the List View Threshold, you can use a filter with two or more columns When you define a filtered view that uses two or more columns, using an AND operator will usually limit the total number of items returned. But even in this case, you still need to specify as the first column in the filter the column that most likely returns the lesser amount of data. Note that using an OR filter almost always increases the number of items returned and won't be effective under these circumstances."

Important    If you are filtering a list by an indexed field, check your recycle bin for deleted items. Items in the recycle bin aren't actually deleted from the backend database until they are removed from the recycle bin. If the total number of filtered items in the list and in the recycle bin is greater than the List Threshold limit, then you may get an incomplete set of results, or none at all.

Amrita Talreja
    • Marked as answer by GWsysadmin Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:50 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:26 PM
  • Thank you.  I was able to solve the problem by indexing the columns that were being filtered in the views.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:50 PM