none
"migration" DPM to Azure Backup Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I have 2 questions regarding DPM :

1. Is it possible to restore a long term retention (in a Recovery Services Vault) of an uninstalled agent ?

- I unprotect my dpm agent and uninstall it (I then lost my protected group with the backup policies and retention policies in it but I retain the backups)

I reinstall my dpm agent on the same server connected to the same DPM Server but only have disk backup availability, I can't have access to the recovery point stored in the cloud

Is there a way to recuperate those recovery points?

2. is it possible to make coexist 2 agents (DPM agent and Azure Backup Agent) on the same devices? (because my customer would like to migrate from DPM to Azure with a new infra

If you have another way around I would love to hear it as well :)

Thank you very much for your answers :)

Best Regards

Monday, October 21, 2019 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hello!

1. Yes it is possible, however it sort of a workaround.

DPM will for some reason not see the Online recovery points after that you have removed a protection group (with the "retain data" option).

How to access your Online recovery points:

a) Download and install the Microsoft Azure Recovery Services (MARS) agent on any computer.

b) Register to your existing Recover Services Vault.

c) Open the Microsoft Azure Backup.

d) Select Recover Data.

e) Select Another server and provide your Vault Credentials.

f) Select the found backup server and enter the passphrase that was used when creating the backup (the passphrase of the DPM server).

g) Select the workloads you would like to restore.

h) Select the volume and date.

i) Select Mount.

2. Yes, they can coexist on the same server.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, October 21, 2019 2:52 PM
  • thank you for your quick answer Leon,

I'll try your workaround and will get back at you :)

when you see that 2 agents can coexist you mean that I have to some way manually install and attach the second agent to the second dpm ? because when I tried to push a second agent from another DPM/Azure backup server it will fail with errors 

Anyway thank you for your answer :)

Best Regards

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 7:33 PM
  • Make sure to install the DPM agent first, then you can install the Microsoft Azure Recovery Services (MARS) a.k.a Azure Backup agent.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 7:35 PM
  • Hi Leon, 

It did work although it is so not user friendly as you can see...

As I want to fetch Data from a DPM Server there is no way to know to which server that volumes belongs to...

I was wondering, can we use "add an external dpm" options to obtain the retain data of an uninstalled agent ? or we only see the active protected groups only ?

Thanks!

Regards

• Edited by lu-kim Friday, October 25, 2019 11:52 AM
    Friday, October 25, 2019 11:52 AM
  • The "Add External DPM" will basically show you what you see in DPM currently, so I believe your only way of fetching the data is by using the workaround.

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Monday, October 28, 2019 12:55 PM
    Friday, October 25, 2019 12:31 PM