none
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

SBS 2011.

When I try to add another drive to backup schedule I get below error;

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

How can I fix this please?

Thanks

Regards

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 10:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I saw this error before which is caused that a previous drive target is not longer available. We need delete it before adding a new drive.

Then I searched for the error and noticed that we have already an article about this error:

Error message when you try to add an additional disk to a scheduled backup: "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2009365/en-us

Please try the steps to see if issue could be fixed.

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 2, 2014 8:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I saw this error before which is caused that a previous drive target is not longer available. We need delete it before adding a new drive.

Then I searched for the error and noticed that we have already an article about this error:

Error message when you try to add an additional disk to a scheduled backup: "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2009365/en-us

Please try the steps to see if issue could be fixed.

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 2, 2014 8:20 AM
  • I've had this error on multiple Server 2008 servers.  Somewhere there is a patch for it.  The article referenced basically is work arounds for the bug.
    Friday, March 13, 2015 12:18 AM
  • Getting the same error when trying to do a system state backup.  all drives appear as indicated, not adding any, process only finds about 1000 files then errors out with  "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."   Nothing suggested above seems to help???
    Monday, July 27, 2015 3:10 PM
  • Turns out if you lose the previous storage location, or it is off line, you have to remove it before adding another one.

You have to Stop Backup, then remove the drive, then schedule a new backup pointing to the new storage location.

The Microsoft KB above no longer exists.

Friday, January 27, 2017 8:47 PM