none
volume backup - retention period not being honored RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we have a volume protection set up - protecting one of the drives on a server, set to create RP every hour, with a retention period of 2 days:

The problem is that DPM currently has 246 RPs instead of the expected 48 (2x24):

Why is this happening and how is it even possible - when you configure the PG, DPM will not let you configure a schedule which would lead to more than 64 RPs:

Normally I'd be glad I can have more than 64 RPs, but not when it's not desired.

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 6:12 PM

All replies

• Hello!

What type of data is it you are protecting?

The limit of 64 recovery points for files is a Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) limitation. The recovery point limit doesn't apply to application data.

DPM can store a maximum of 64 recovery points for each file member of a protection group. For application data sources, DPM can store up to 448 express full backups and up to 96 incremental backups for each express full backup.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Edited by Leon Laude Tuesday, March 19, 2019 6:35 PM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2019 6:33 PM
  • Leon, I'm not sure I understand your question - what type of data - I've mentioned it's Volume backup or are you asking something different?
    Tuesday, March 19, 2019 6:36 PM

• For example:

File Data
    Data that exists on a file server and which needs to be protected as a flat file qualifies as file data, such as Microsoft Office files, text files, batch files, and so forth.

Application Data
    Data that exists on an application server and which requires DPM to be aware of the application qualifies as application data, such as Exchange storage groups, SQL Server databases, Windows SharePoint Services farms, and Virtual Server.

Edit: Since you're backing up a volume, it's counted as file data.

Do you get the same result (246 recovery points) by using the DPM Shell?

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Edited by Leon Laude Tuesday, March 19, 2019 6:52 PM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2019 6:44 PM
  • I see what you mean now - in this particular case, those are SQL backup files (.bak, .trn) created by SQL maintenance plans, so File Data by the above definition.
    Tuesday, March 19, 2019 7:01 PM