none
0x8007007b The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance for your time.

Environment:

Windows 2008 Server Standard 64 bit

Windows XP SP3 with CSE installed

Pushing out 1 printer at this time - HP CP2025n

Using Folder Redirection

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: Group Policy Printers
    Event Category: (2)
    Event ID: 4098
    Date:  2009/02/25
    Time:  8:34:07 AM
    User:  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: computername
    Description:
    The user 'printer' preference item in the 'Information Systems Settings {3FABC171-BB2D-482A-911C-B0D11D227D8B}' Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x8007007b The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.' This error was suppressed.

We are experiencing this problem on one of our Domain Controllers running Windows 2008 Server Standard 64 bit.  The DC that we are receiving this error message on is the DC that is being used to deploy the printers to the clients, which are Windows XP SP3 with CSE installed.  The workstations are able to install the printer, and there are no errors/warnings/informational messages in Event Viewer.

The DC that is receiving this error message is the DC that is pushing out the printer via GP, and I am not sure if this is designed to happen this way, or if there is something truly that needs correcting.

I came across the following post on social.technet.microsoft.com and it discusses this issue perfectly, just on a workstation, not a server?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/581da18b-d00c-492a-8b1b-4048f82afc3c

I did make the changes to GP as outlined in the article, however, that did not fix the issue, and they are listed below.

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\ Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon (this did fix folder redirection error messages on the client machines and the DC as well)

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy\Printers Policy Processing

Please enable:
    1. Allow processing across a slow network connection
    2. Process even if the Group Policy objects have not changed.
    If anyone has any ideas, let me know.
    Thanks again,
    CU
    Friday, July 8, 2011 5:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You may install the CSE hotfix rollup for Windows XP clients.

Group Policy Preferences Client-Side Extension Hotfix Rollup

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974266

In addition, please also follow the steps mentioned on the following Microsoft KB article:

The Point and Print User configuration policy is ignored by Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Service Pack 2 release of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2307161

If the issue persists, would you please send me more information for analyzing. For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you. You can upload the information files to the following link. (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=ddec6cfe-cdcf-4d56-880a-9f14d89be08f

Password: 35*%9lX-1@i

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding.

Collect GPMC log

==============

1.     On domain controller, click Start -> Run, type GPMC.MSC, it will load the GPMC console. If the GPMC snap-in is not installed.

2.     Right click on "Group Policy Result" and choose wizard to generate a report for the problematic computer and user account (please place appropriately). (Choose computer and select the proper user in the wizard)

3.     Right click the resulting group policy result and click the "Save Report…" => save report and upload it to the link I provided.

Enable the following Group Policy and collect the log:

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy\Logging and tracing\Printers Policy Processing.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 4:51 AM
  • Hello Arthur,

Thanks for your response, it is appreciated.

To clarify on some subjects, the issue is not taking place our on XP machines, just on our Server 2008. 

Our Server 2008 is running Std X64 with on SP1 installed at the moment, and this is a fresh install of 2008 in our test environment.  Due to the nature of our line of business, we only install security patches on machines and not functional patches.  So I am not sure if we are missing something due to this?

I did check the DC for the steps outlined in KB 2307161, and seeing as we are not running SP2, there is no option for this.  If we did install SP2, do you think that it would remove this error?

I am working on the GP report for you.

Please advise,

CU

Monday, July 11, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Hi,

Have you enabled the Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Printers\Point and Print Restrictions policy and choose “Do not show warning or elevation prompt” for both “When updating drivers for an existing connection” and “When installation drivers for a new connection”?

If the issue persists,  would you please also upload the trace log for our further research?

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 6:23 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

The recommended steps that you have requested only function on Windows 2008 SP2 and not SP1 that we have in our environment.  I have checked our GPMC and I do not see the options to enable the policy that you have requested.

I will attempt to upgrade the server with SP2 this afternoon and post back and let you know my findings.

Have you enabled the Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Printers\Point and Print Restrictions policy and choose “Do not show warning or elevation prompt” for both “When updating drivers for an existing connection” and “When installation drivers for a new connection?

Thanks again,

CU

Thursday, July 14, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Hi Arthur,

I upgraded the server to SP2 today, and I made the required changes to the group policy for Point and Print Restrictions, however this made no difference.  The only difference to what you wrote, was that point and print was located under user configuration and not computer configuration, I am not sure if this really makes a difference?

I enabled group policy logging and I have uploaded the new log file to the MS site for you.

Thanks again,

CU

Friday, July 15, 2011 5:55 PM
  • Hi Arthur,

Any ideas/update?

Thanks,

CU

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:10 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to use a Registry Group Policy Preference to add and set the registry value HKLM\software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\print\providers\client side rendering print provider\RemovePrintersAtLogoff to 1 on the clients.

Regards,

Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:38 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

Did as you requested, and no change, still receiving the error message.

I am still open for suggestions?

Thanks,

CU

Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:17 PM
  • Hi Arthur,

Any ideas?

Thanks

CU

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Nov. 06 2012  22:28~22:32  win7h sp1

Hello CU,

May I please...?

With the win7home, win vista clients, all have this problem --->

"0x8007007b The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"

as well there is no any printer keep on line with any one of them.

How is it from for always at the brandnew installed OS restore point creating ?

BLEUOISOU

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:32 PM
  • Nov. 06 2012  22:28~22:32 , 23:41 win7h sp1

Hello Arthur Li,

May I please...?

With the win7home, win vista clients, all have this problem --->

"0x8007007b The file name, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"

as well there is no any printer keep on line with any one of them.

How is it from for always at the brand new installed OS restore point creating ?

It did not act on anything looks likely for years thus thereafter,  it continues to today.

BLEUOISOU

Restore Protection OS inital start point
    • Edited by BleuOisou Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:40 PM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:34 PM
  • I ran into this issue today.

The issue was resolved by changing the action of the group policy from "Create" to "Update", running gpupdate /force, and rebooting the client.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 4:40 PM
  • Could not even open the group editor ?   Who role to be the server mine , taken away Authority isp? 

Luckily , this won't up at win8 or win8 pro

Thanks Microsoft...

Thursday, June 26, 2014 1:24 AM