none
Fileservers can`t access each other shares RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone. 

One of my customers brought me an interesting problem today which I could not solve.

The initial problem was:

Users from Site A are currently on visit at Site C. They usually have access to their files via DFS Namespace, but cant access while located at Site C. 

Since I cant block the users device all day i tried to reproduce the error on the Servers located in Site C with the following outcome:

Server1 (DC) -> can open the DFS Namespace

Server2 (Application) -> can open the DFS Namespace

Server3 (File) -> cannot open the DFS Namespace nor can I access the share behind the namespace with \\SiteAServer3\ . I was not even able to access it with \\SiteAServer3\C$

Here are the error messages i get: 

Namespace:

\\domain\namespace\ ist not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this servers to find out if you have access permissions.

The specified network name is no longer available

Share:

\\SiteAServer3 is not accesible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this servers to find out if you have access permissions.

The remote procedure call failed

I have used on all Servers a domain admin account, which has full access on the shares. 

I tried the same thing from Site A -> Site C: 

Server3 (File) -> no access to namespace or share directly

Any other Server -> no problem with namespace or shares

There are other fileservers in other sites which can be accessed without issues, for example: Site A File -> Site B File, Site C File -> Site F File. 

As far as i tested the issue only occurs between Site A and Site C.

Any tips or help is appreciated. 

Thank you in advance. 

• Edited by ChrisuAT Friday, November 15, 2019 3:55 PM
    Friday, November 15, 2019 3:55 PM

All replies

• Server3 (File) -> cannot open the DFS Namespace nor can I access the share behind the namespace with \\SiteAServer3\ . I was not even able to access it with \\SiteAServer3\C$

Are all machines members of the same domain? 

Start with the basics. Make sure the names resolve to correct address and that firewalls are not blocking ports.

Open an elevated Powershell_ISE and run....

nslookup SiteAServer3
    Test-NetConnection SiteAServer3
    Test-NetConnection SiteAServer3 -CommonTCPPort SMB
    Test-NetConnection SiteAServer3 -CommonTCPPort RDP
    Test-NetConnection SiteAServer3 -port 135 
    net view \\SiteAServer3
    Check the system/security/application eventlogs on the server that you cannot access. 

Friday, November 15, 2019 9:11 PM