none
Configuring Access Requests in SharePoint 2013

Question

• Hello everyone. we built our SP2013 farm last year and just now taking a deep dive into it. One of the issues I have run into, is the site access request notifications. I can see the requests in SharePoint and grant access from there but no email notifications are generated. After looking into it for several day and even working with MS Premier Support for over two weeks, this still remains unresolved. MS also engaged their Exchange engineer who couldn't find any requests coming into Exchange.

Per MS recommendations, Incoming E-mail Service and SMTP is enabled on only one web frontend server in the farm. Any help at this point would be appreciated. Thanks.

tkhan

• Edited by tkhan00 Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:39 PM
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:38 PM

Answers

• I ran into an issue similar to this and it ended up being that an unauthenticated account was sending the access request emails and not the standard send-as account defined in CA. 

What we found in the logs is that if User A makes a request to Site A and User B should receive the access request, the access request email tries to send-as User A from the webapp service account.

This was the error we received:

Failed attempt 1 sending mail to recipients: email@email.com. Mail Subject: User A wants to access 'TestAlert'. Error: SmtpException while sending email: System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender     

We worked with Microsoft on this as we believed it to be a bug that it should be sending as this user but they directed us to the Exchange team. They proposed a "fix" or more of a work around which was to grant send-as permission to all users for the service account.

Get-mailboxDatabase -Server <servername> | Add-ADPermission -User "user" -extendedRights Send-As

Friday, March 21, 2014 2:52 AM

All replies

• Use telnet from a SharePoint server to Exchange (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153119) to test connectivity. Also check for any host-based antivirus that may block outbound SMTP.

Incoming Mail does not impact things like alerts or site access requests (and as of the December 2013 CU, Incoming Mail can be run on multiple SharePoint 2013 servers).

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:49 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. Telnet test checks out. Disabled AV and gave it a try but still no luck. I am hoping to resolve it before applying SP1.

tkhan

Friday, March 21, 2014 1:53 AM
  • I ran into an issue similar to this and it ended up being that an unauthenticated account was sending the access request emails and not the standard send-as account defined in CA. 

What we found in the logs is that if User A makes a request to Site A and User B should receive the access request, the access request email tries to send-as User A from the webapp service account.

This was the error we received:

Failed attempt 1 sending mail to recipients: email@email.com. Mail Subject: User A wants to access 'TestAlert'. Error: SmtpException while sending email: System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender     

We worked with Microsoft on this as we believed it to be a bug that it should be sending as this user but they directed us to the Exchange team. They proposed a "fix" or more of a work around which was to grant send-as permission to all users for the service account.

Get-mailboxDatabase -Server <servername> | Add-ADPermission -User "user" -extendedRights Send-As

Friday, March 21, 2014 2:52 AM
  • Did you solve the problem already?

I've got the exact same problem. :-(

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:56 PM
  • Well, it kind of resolved by itself. Here are some of the things you can do;

- Find out if the site was moved using a 3rd party tool

- Use a different account for Access request

-Use a different site for Access request

- Remove the existing Access Request information from the site, close out all dialog boxes and try again.

- Do not use a newly created test account to request access. It didn't work for me (and still doesn't) but an existing one did the job.

Hope it helps.......................

tkhan

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:12 PM
  • I am seeing a similar issue, but not exactly the same. In my case, the From address is correct, but it is sending to a To: address that I can't find where it might be configured. It apparently does not use the email address configured in Central Admin -> System Settings -> Configure outgoing e-mail settings. Does anyone know where it gets the To: address for those emails?
    Monday, August 11, 2014 4:25 PM
  • Can you elaborate on which webapp service account you are referencing?
    Monday, March 9, 2015 10:11 PM
  • In MySite Setup section Under Email Notifications

provide a email address for String to be used as sender's email address: it will work.

It worked for me. 

Rajesh

Saturday, November 18, 2017 8:16 PM