none
Why my mailbox server takes lots of memory?

Question

• When I check my two mailbox servers (using DAG), I find the memory is going to Max. As far as i know, the mailbox server only do store the mails, why they consumes lots of memory?

Enclosed:

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 1:20 PM

Answers

• In general, Exchange 2010 will start using as much memory as is available. You can't use available memory as an indicator of performance. I've seen servers with very little activity use 16 GB or more of memory for store.exe just because it is available.

If other processes need the memory, then Exchange 2010 should reduce its caching and allow those other processes to use the memory. However, it might not be immediate. So, there may be a bit of a performance lag while the memory is allocated.

Byron Wright (http://byronwright.blogspot.com)
    • Proposed as answer by mjolinor Tuesday, December 06, 2011 4:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Human Being_001 Tuesday, December 06, 2011 11:48 PM
    Tuesday, December 06, 2011 4:05 PM
  • Hi,

It takes around 30GB memory for store.exe and w3sp.exe, is it normal? - depends on the number of databases/mailboxes but sounds OK. I am designing servers right now with 128 Gb of RAM

If I have another application running on same, will server fall down? - No, it should not but the server might have to start swapping and therefore be slower as seen from the users. How much RAM do you have in the server?

Leif

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 3:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The mailbox server uses a lot of memory for the database cache (a part of each database to speed up performamce). The database cache size depends on the number of databases and the number of mailboxes in each database.

Leif

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 1:27 PM
  • Hi Leif,

It takes around 30GB memory for store.exe and w3sp.exe, is it normal?

If I have another application running on the same, will the server fall down?

Thanks.

P.S when this forum is fine, I will upload the detail process.

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 3:04 PM
  • Hi,

It takes around 30GB memory for store.exe and w3sp.exe, is it normal? - depends on the number of databases/mailboxes but sounds OK. I am designing servers right now with 128 Gb of RAM

If I have another application running on same, will server fall down? - No, it should not but the server might have to start swapping and therefore be slower as seen from the users. How much RAM do you have in the server?

Leif

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 3:10 PM
  • In general, Exchange 2010 will start using as much memory as is available. You can't use available memory as an indicator of performance. I've seen servers with very little activity use 16 GB or more of memory for store.exe just because it is available.

If other processes need the memory, then Exchange 2010 should reduce its caching and allow those other processes to use the memory. However, it might not be immediate. So, there may be a bit of a performance lag while the memory is allocated.

Byron Wright (http://byronwright.blogspot.com)
    • Proposed as answer by mjolinor Tuesday, December 06, 2011 4:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Human Being_001 Tuesday, December 06, 2011 11:48 PM
    Tuesday, December 06, 2011 4:05 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

:)

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 11:48 PM
  • I have 32GB memory on the mailbox server.
    Tuesday, December 06, 2011 11:50 PM