none
Exchange 2010 - 1 domain has been transfered to another mail server - mail isn't working

Question

• Hello, very need you help :-( The problem is: we have an Exchange 2010 server, it supports 2 domains: domain1.com (basic, this is local domain with a same name) and domain2.com (added to Exchange later). So there are 40 mailboxes (approx.) - 20 of @domain1.com and 20 of domain2.com. Last week we decided to transfer domain1.com mailboxes to another mail server. So we created new server, new mailboxes on it (same names) and switched MX-record to this new server. Same time we deleted domain domain1.com from list of domains (EMC->Organization Configuration->Hub Transport->Accepted Domains). So at this moment Exchange works with domain2.com only (as default domain). So problem is - we can't send message from user@domain2.com to user@domain1.com. All such messages are in Query and in "delayed" status. It looks like Exchange have no idea how to send message to domain1.com (outside of local network). How can I fix it? Please help.

P.S. This is some logs from query:

Identity: mail\88323\559875
    Subject: Test
    Internet Message ID: <BDE2B0FEA3F94D4088F94F8E5D47DAD6EF2AF5@mail.domain1.com>
    From Address: user@domain2.com
    Size (KB): 2
    Message Source Name: FromLocal
    Source IP: 255.255.255.255
    SCL: -1
    Date Received: 08.11.2017 18:04:32
    Expiration Time: 10.11.2017 18:04:32
    Last Error: 400 4.4.7 Message delayed
    Queue ID: mail\88323
    Recipients:  user@domain1.com;2;2;400 4.4.7 Message delayed;0;CN=domain1.com,CN=Connections,CN=Exchange Routing Group (DWBGZMFD01QNBJR),CN=Routing Groups,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Company Name,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain1,DC=com

Thursday, November 09, 2017 8:48 AM

Answers

• Problem has been resolved :-) Just created a new SMTP-connector with address space=domain1.com and using external DNS for this SMTP-connector (provider DNS in my case). That's all :-) Thank you for support!
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:48 AM

All replies

• Remove domain1.com as an accepted domain from the original server.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Thursday, November 09, 2017 4:42 PM
  • I already did this... So now I have only one domain for Exchange server - domain2.com. Also I added A-record and MX-record on my DC (DNS). So scheme now is: Exchange server (mail.domain1.com, but there is domain2.com only) and foreign mail server (newmail.domain1.com, there is domain1.com only).

user@domain2.com -> user@domain1.com - FAIL

user@domain1.com -> user@domain2.com - OK

user@domain2.com -> anyone - OK

user@domain1.com -> anyone - OK

So the problem is only with Exchange: it can't send messages from @domain2.com to new mail server (@domain1.com)

Thursday, November 09, 2017 6:48 PM
  • Does the domain2 server see an MX record for domain1.com?  Can the domain2 server connect to the domain1 server over SMTP?  Does the domain2 organization have an accepted domain entry for domain1.com (it shouldn't)?  Can you send a message from Yahoo! to domain2.com recipients?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, November 09, 2017 10:41 PM
  • "Does the domain2 server see an MX record for domain1.com?"

Do you mean 'telnet newmail.domain1.com 25' ? Yes, it does. But it doesn't help :-(

"Can the domain2 server connect to the domain1 server over SMTP?"

Just only using telnet command from domain2 server (manually).

"Does the domain2 organization have an accepted domain entry for domain1.com (it shouldn't)?"

No, there was bisic domain "domain1.com" on Exchange server and domain2.com has been added year later. So all the Active Directory Users belongs to domain1.com (it's only different e-mails for different OU's). I'll explain more detail - for example, user1@domain1.com have an email 'user@domain1.com' but user2@domain1.com have an e-mail 'user2@domain2.com'.

"Can you send a message from Yahoo! to domain2.com recipients?"

Yes and not only from Yahoo. I can send message from any mail server to this domain include from domain1.com (new mail server). But not in reverse direction, domain2.com to domain1.com.

Friday, November 10, 2017 7:16 AM
  • "Do you mean 'telnet newmail.domain1.com 25' ?"

No, I mean using NSLOOKUP to find the MX record.  If you don't know how to do that, suck it up and post the real domain names and I'll look them up for you.  It's not like there's a huge security risk in saying what your e-mail domain is.

"Just only using telnet command from domain2 server (manually)."

I don't understand what you're saying.

Another thing to check:

Do users in domain2 have @domain1.com e-mail addresses?

Can you send a message from Yahoo! to domain1.com recipients?

Friday, November 10, 2017 5:51 PM
  • If you are using new server for domain 1. Try from internet to domain 1 user. does the email get delivered.

your new server should have this domain added as an accepted domain and the receive connectors should be configured properly.

how do you want the email to be delivered between domain 2 and domain 1 -- through internet? or internally

if it is internally, you may not need mx records, you have to use a smart host. create a send connector on domain 2 server and put the address as domain1 and IP address for server of new domain 1

Thanks & Regards Ramandeep Singh

Saturday, November 11, 2017 7:52 AM
  • Problem has been resolved :-) Just created a new SMTP-connector with address space=domain1.com and using external DNS for this SMTP-connector (provider DNS in my case). That's all :-) Thank you for support!
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:48 AM
  • Glad to know the issue has been solved!

By the way, I recommend you to mark your last reply as answer, it will be helpful for others in the forum.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 2:31 AM