none
%complete jumps to 100% RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I had a task which could only be set as 100%. For example, every time I inputed 60%, the task would automatically jump to 100%.

Has this happened to anyone? if so what did you do to fix this; besides deleting and re-adding the task.

Friday, January 27, 2012 5:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Nicholas,

I'm guessing this is related to your other post where % complete and % work complete are not matching.  I can reproduce you what you report fairly easily.  Create a fixed duration 10 day task.  Assign a resource.  Project will calculate the work and spread it evenly across the full 10 day duration.  Go to the Task Usage view and zero the work on the assignment line for the last 5 days.  So, you'll end up with a 10 day duration task, but the resource is only working for the first 5 days.

Attempt to set the task as 50% complete and it will jump to 100%.  There is no remaining work.

Look at the work spread in the Task Usage view and do you see zero work at the end?  Look at the Task in the Gantt chart -- do you see a trailing split?

I hope this helps.

Julie

Friday, January 27, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Hi,

I suspect you set %Complete to 100%? There are several items in Project you can enter a % value for. If it's %Complete you mean: isn't duration of this task 0?

Greetings,

Friday, January 27, 2012 8:29 AM
  • Tasks are considered 100% completed when remaining duration and remaining work are zero no matter what the task type is.  If an actual finish date is entered the task will be assumed to be 100% complete.  To avoid this increase remaining duration and/or remaining work.  When the task is completed these values may be adjusted to remove extra remaining duration or remaining work.
    Ellen Lehnert, MVP, PMP, MCT Training/Consulting/Author ellen@lehnertcs.com, www.lehnertcs.com Author "Managing Projects using MS Project 2010 desktop" courseware, www.MVP-Press.com
    Friday, January 27, 2012 2:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I suspect you set %Complete to 100%? There are several items in Project you can enter a % value for. If it's %Complete you mean: isn't duration of this task 0?

Greetings,

Friday, January 27, 2012 8:29 AM
  • I've seen this kind of behaviour once or twice, normally it happens when you assign a resource, set it to 0 hours and the task is set to 'fixed duration'. Then you can only enter 0 or 100%. Atleast, that's what happens to me. So set the amount of work or remove the resource?

If this is not the scenario, please explane a little more.

-- Koen

Friday, January 27, 2012 2:23 PM
  • Tasks are considered 100% completed when remaining duration and remaining work are zero no matter what the task type is.  If an actual finish date is entered the task will be assumed to be 100% complete.  To avoid this increase remaining duration and/or remaining work.  When the task is completed these values may be adjusted to remove extra remaining duration or remaining work.
    Ellen Lehnert, MVP, PMP, MCT Training/Consulting/Author ellen@lehnertcs.com, www.lehnertcs.com Author "Managing Projects using MS Project 2010 desktop" courseware, www.MVP-Press.com
    Friday, January 27, 2012 2:29 PM
  • Hi Nicholas,

I'm guessing this is related to your other post where % complete and % work complete are not matching.  I can reproduce you what you report fairly easily.  Create a fixed duration 10 day task.  Assign a resource.  Project will calculate the work and spread it evenly across the full 10 day duration.  Go to the Task Usage view and zero the work on the assignment line for the last 5 days.  So, you'll end up with a 10 day duration task, but the resource is only working for the first 5 days.

Attempt to set the task as 50% complete and it will jump to 100%.  There is no remaining work.

Look at the work spread in the Task Usage view and do you see zero work at the end?  Look at the Task in the Gantt chart -- do you see a trailing split?

I hope this helps.

Julie

Friday, January 27, 2012 6:13 PM