none
New vm in HV don't list in DPM and DPM behavior whene vm is renamed. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello again.

I have Windows Server 2019 and installed DPM 19 (10.19.58.0)

Earlier I asked about backup new added database (MS SQL), and I now known that is protection on database and instance level. However, is misleading that they don't update enteries in group protection settings.

Currently I have some questions yet.

Please, anybody can tell me, how about new vm in HV? After add new VM to standalone HV (it is not member of domain), vm doesn't show in settings in protection group. I tried click "refresh" button but it doesn't help, new vm still isn't visible and I got information: "DPM is unable to enumerate contents in<Component> on the protected computer <ServerName>. Recycle Bin, System Volume Information folder, non-NTFS volumes, DFS links, CDs, Quorum Disk (for cluster) and other removable media cannot be protected." 
    In option I found autodiscover and it is set to 01:00 a.m. everyday, but I think it doesn't work properly. What I have to do that new vms will be listed in protection group to add them to protect?

Another question.
    I have situation that I had to rename VM for example "VMold" and next created new vm with name "VM" and now unfortunetlly, DPM shows error about backup that VM "unable to create restore point". I think it is caused by renaming of vm. So it is possible to reload DPM to correctly map other vm with the same name? What is the best to do in this situation?

Your faithfully,
    PK.
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 6:59 AM

Answers

• As long as the VM has the same ID, DPM will not recognize any name you give it.

You don't need to start the VM, simply export -> import with a new unique ID, it doesn't require the VM to start.

Other than that I think there's no other solution other than removing the VM from the protection group and re-adding it to the protection group.

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by przemekn1 Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:17 AM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you provide a screenshot of the Hyper-V host and it's components that you see in the protection group?

Also provide a picture of the refresh button that you've tried.

-------

For the renamed Hyper-V guest virtual machine, you probably have the cache option enabled.

This will create a registry key for all discovered VM's, you can try to clear the cache and then refresh the VM's of the Hyper-V host in the protection group again.

If the problem isn't solved check the registry on the DPM server to see if the "old" VM's are still there:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\CacheInquiryResults

If they are remove them manually and try to expand the Hyper-V host resources in the protection group (when you create/modify a protection group) again.

Best regards,
    Leon

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 8:33 AM
  • Hi again.

Thank you for reply. Below I attached screenshots

1. Standalone Hyper-V with agent installed:

2. DPM protection edit group (vms list):

As you can see, not all vms are listed on DPM like XXX18M02.off, XXX19M01.off, XXX20M01.off. 

About registry of DPM cacheinquiryresults is empty:

Where can I enable/disable cache option? I have to do that on HV host or DPM? Refresh button do nothing.

Your faithfully,
    PK.

• Edited by przemekn1 Wednesday, October 9, 2019 12:20 PM update images
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 12:18 PM
  • Can you show how you performed the refresh? Make sure you select the Hyper-V host when modifying the protection group (don’t collapse it) then click Refresh.

You can also use the Update-DPMProtectionGroup DPM PowerShell cmdlet, also try closing and restarting the DPM console.

What operating system version is your Hyper-V host running?

What are the Hyper-V integration services settings of the virtual machines that is not found by DPM?

Make sure all guest virtual machines have the latest integration services (if you’re using Windows Server 2016 or newer on your Hyper-V host, the integration services get updated with Windows Update).

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:04 PM
  • How do I refresh? I edit protection group, select my HV host and click "refresh" button - I got info. "DPM is unable to enumerate contents in<Component> on the protected computer <ServerName>. Recycle Bin, System Volume Information folder, non-NTFS volumes, DFS links, CDs, Quorum Disk (for cluster) and other removable media cannot be protected." I don't know it is matter for my problem . If I collapse any HV, button is going to greyed out and then I must close and again open windows with edit group.

I unnistalled and installed again agent on that HV-01 and now I don't see VMs (APP2, XXX18M02) that name were changed - I think this is cause (screenshot below). On thi HV I have Winsows Server 2019 with newest updated. DPM agent is in 10.19.58.0 version. HV is in 10.0.17763.1 version. What do you mean about "integration services settings"?

Your faithfully,
    PK.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 7:05 AM
  • The "DPM is unable to enumerate contents in <Component> on the protected computer" is normal behavior.

You can only perform the refresh when the Hyper-V host object is not expanded when modifying a protection group.

Also try using the PowerShell cmdlet, see if there's any difference.

To check the Integration Service settings, right-click a Hyper-V virtual machine and select Settings, then go to the Integration Services pane.

Are all of the Hyper-V virtual machines stored on the same storage? What kind of storage is it?

Thursday, October 10, 2019 7:21 AM
  • About integration services on all vms I have checked all options without "guest services". 

I do refresh like you wrote.

Refreshing using powershell I got error: 

Update-DPMProtectionGroup : Cannot bind parameter 'ProtectionGroup'. Cannot convert the "GROUPNAME" value of type "System.String" to ty
    pe "Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.ProtectionGroup".
    At line:3 char:1
    + Update-DPMProtectionGroup
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Update-DPMProtectionGroup], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgumentNoMessage,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.ProtectionCmdLets.Re 
       freshDPMProtectionGroup

I don't known what can I do else, to see new/renamed vms of that HV. 

Could you tell me, how DPM should behavior in situation? I have VM "APP2" with HDD1.vhdx. This VM I took offline and changed name to APP2old (in the near future will be delete). Next I added (by creator) new VM "APP2" and attached same disk HDD1.vhdx.  In DPM in protection group I still see APP2 (APP2old is not listed, even after refresh). Status of backup of APP2 is "dpm replica is inconsistent". I started manually "consistency check", but few moments later status still is "replica is inconsistent". 

Your faithfully,
    PK.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 11:36 AM
  • The renaming of Hyper-V guest virtual machines has been an issue previously as well, it might be stored/cached in the DPM database.

The problem is either with the enumeration of Hyper-V or another general issue.

Do you see the VMs and the correct names when running the following commands?

$PS = Get-ProductionServer -DPMServerName "DPM Server Name" | Where { $_.NetBiosName -eq "HyperV-Host Name" }

Get-Datasource -ProductionServer $PS -Inquire

Thursday, October 10, 2019 12:16 PM
  • For test on another HV I created VM "TestNewName" and on DPM I created test protection group with member of earlier created VM. I did backup - status ok, no problems. Next, I changed this VM name to "TestNewNameold" and created new VM with the same name "TestNewName". So in that HV I see two VMs "TestNewName" and "TestNewNameold. After refresh in DPM protection group edit, I see VMs with the same name... 

I ran command in Powershell like You wrote and the results is the same as click "refresh" button in protection group edit - I see the same VMs in first HV and in HV2 I see two VMs with te same name.

You might have right - it is cache problem, but what we can do to get rid of that problem?

By the way, thank you for your spent time. 

Your faithfully,
    PK.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 12:48 PM
  • It's most likely stored within the DPM database, and it's not recommended to manipulate the DPM database.

DPM uses the virtual machine ID to identify the virtual machine, when renaming a virtual machine the ID doesn't change, therefore DPM doesn't update the name of the virtual machine.

One thing that might work for the renamed VMs is to export them, then import them back with a new ID:

Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:09 PM
  • In my situation import and export that VM is not good idea, because that VM don't want run, so I create new and attach its disk. So, I have two VMs, "MYVM" (newly created) and "MYVMold" (crashed vm, which name was changed from "MYVM" to "MYVMold"). 

DPM in protection edit group tab see only "MYVM" and I think it is old machine (in HV its name equals MYVMold). DPM doesn't recognize new VM "MYVM". I'm trying understand, how is DPM behavior. For now only solution for that what I found is delete that VM from protection group, do refresh and add them again. 

Your faithfully,
    PK.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 5:59 AM
  • As long as the VM has the same ID, DPM will not recognize any name you give it.

You don't need to start the VM, simply export -> import with a new unique ID, it doesn't require the VM to start.

Other than that I think there's no other solution other than removing the VM from the protection group and re-adding it to the protection group.

• Marked as answer by przemekn1 Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:17 AM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:06 AM
  • Ok, thank you for you help.

Your faithfully,
    PK.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:17 AM