none
Site owner unable to save template

Question

• Hello,

I have a user that is in a site owner SP group with FULL CONTROL perms. As a member of this group he was able to, until recently, change then save sites as a template for later use. Now when he tries to save a site as a new template, it says access is denied and gives the option to sign in under a different account.

I have removed then readded him to the group, but that did not solve the problem. In the same group I added my non-admin account and was able to save the template without fail.

One note to make is that the SP admin account wasn't delegated for directory replication perms from the A.D. (an oversight in the setup of the farm). Before granting that perm to the SP admin account, some users were displayed as "domain\jdoe" and others with their display name "John Doe." There were also some cases where there were duplicate user profiles in SP. Since the replication perms were granted all names are displayed the same (as "John Doe") and the users that had duplication profiles now have just the single SP profile.

My question is this; how do I go about allowing my site owner to save the new site templates? Or how would I troubleshoot the denial of his account perms when, according to the security group permissions check, he has the access required? Did the lack of replication permissions for the SP admin account have anything to do with this?

If I missed something in describing my problem, please let me know.

Thank you!

Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:19 PM

Answers

• OK, I know it has been a ~really long time~ since I opened this up, but "management" has finally allowed me to work on this problem again. I thought I would add this to the thread for others who may have a similar issue.

The solution to this whole problem were two accounts with associated permissions had been removed by a previous, ah-hem... "site administrator" from the TaxonomyHiddenList library permissions.

Going to http://{root}/lists/taxonomyhiddenlist/AllItems.aspx then Library Permissions, all ACL's were removed. What needs to be there is "Authenticated Users" (READ) and "SharePoint\System" (FULL CONTROL).

Once I added those accounts everything was back to it's normal level of dysfunction.

So thank you, Everyone, for your past help and suggestions.

• Marked as answer by CVDale Friday, February 7, 2014 6:15 PM
    Friday, February 7, 2014 6:14 PM

All replies

• Are they in the Owner (Full Control) group or a Site Collection Administrator?

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:39 PM
  • Owner group.
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:24 PM
  • Hi,

Are using talking about saving a sub-site as a template? Does this site inherit permission from parent site?

You need to check the site collection settings>Solutions. Edit the permission settings for the Solutions library. Make sure that the SP admin account have permission to add items to the Solutions library.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 22, 2013 6:41 AM
  • Yes, save a sub-site as a template. The sub-site is inheriting perms from the parent which this user has full access to.

Editing the Solution library perms was one of the first things I looked at. According to what's listed, the End User should have no restriction with saving this sub-site as a template.

Friday, February 22, 2013 3:17 PM
    • Have the user access the site in question and take off the end part of the URL (up to the sub-site) and then append it with userdisp.aspx (this ensures we are looking for the 'same account' the user is actually leveraging.

http(s)://<yoursite.url.here>/<your sub-site>/_layouts/userdisp.aspx

• Using the information from the above test, do something like the below (you can leverage different columns based on what information is returning for the users)?  (Is there more than one?  If so, stop here and post me back)

Select  *  from userinfo with(nolock) where tp_login  like ‘%<domain>\<username> %’

• Does the user profile database have a value of true for any column when you enter the user's email address? 

use <db name> select * from dbo.UserInfo with (NOLOCK) where tp_email like
    '<problem user email id>' 

• Do you have a web application where this particular user is able to access everything as expected?  If not, would it be possible to provision a web application?  The goal would be to compare the dbo.userinfo of the working against the non-working dbo.userinfo.  Often times, it is easiest to track down the issue through comparison of working vs non-working as this will give an idea of the root cause.
    Friday, February 22, 2013 7:01 PM
  • @Jen:

- No, there is only the single account in UserInfo related to his login ID / Email
    - There is only one column with a "1" (TRUE) setting and that is the tp_IsActive column. All others are NULL
    - Created new web app with same site collection (Team Site) in the same environment. Added the same end user to the owner group. He was able to save a template without fail.

--Interesting development--

After saving a new template in the new web app, the end user tried saving the sub-site (in the original problem) as a template - and it worked! Tried the same action again and it failed with the same result as before (your account is denied...). Further testing, trying to save a different sub-site as a template resulted in an error, but this time it gave a correlation ID to go from.

Time Process Thread Category EventID Level Message
    02/22/2013   14:39:23 w3wp.exe (0x1CA0) 0x0D10 Monitoring b4ly High Leaving   Monitored Scope (EnsureListItemsData#12). Execution Time=254.561124388714
    02/22/2013   14:39:23 w3wp.exe (0x1CA0) 0x0D10 0x0 iigj High Failed   to compile XML.
    02/22/2013   14:39:23 w3wp.exe (0x1CA0) 0x0D10 General xxph High Failed   to get the Fields schema with 0x80004005
    02/22/2013   14:39:23 w3wp.exe (0x1CA0) 0x0D10 General 8kh7 High Cannot   complete this action.  Please try   again.
    02/22/2013   14:39:23 w3wp.exe (0x1CA0) 0x0D10 General ev0l Monitorable SPSolutionExporter: Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Cannot complete this action.  Please try again. --->   System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Cannot complete   this action.  Please try again.     at   Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.GetListItemDataWithCallback2(IListItemSqlClient   pSqlClient, String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, String bstrViewName, String   bstrViewXml, SAFEARRAYFLAGS fSafeArrayFlags, ISP2DSafeArrayWriter   pSACallback, ISPDataCallback pPagingCallback, ISPDataCallback   pPagingPrevCallback, ISPDataCallback pFilterLinkCallback, ISPDataCallback   pSchemaCallback, ISPDataCallback pRowCountCallback, Boolean&   pbMaximalView)     at   Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetListItemDataWithCallback2(IListItemSqlClient   pSqlClient, String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, String bstrViewName, String   bstrViewXml, SAFEARRAYFLAGS fSafeArrayFlags, ISP2DSafeArrayWriter   pSACallback, ISPDataCallback pPagingCallback, ISPDataCallback   pPagingPrevCallback, ISPDataCallback pFilterLinkCallback, ISPDataCallback   pSchemaCallback, ISPDataCallback pRowCountCallback, Boolean&   pbMaximalView)     --- End of inner   exception stack trace ---     at   Microsoft.SharePoint.SPGlobal.HandleComException(COMException comEx)     at   Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetListItemDataWithCallback2(IListItemSqlClient   pSqlClient, String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, String bstrViewName, String   bstrViewXml, SAFEARRAYFLAGS fSafeArrayFlags, ISP2DSafeArrayWriter   pSACallback, ISPDataCallback pPagingCallback, ISPDataCallback   pPagingPrevCallback, ISPDataCallback pFilterLinkCallback, ISPDataCallback   pSchemaCallback, ISPDataCallback pRowCountCallback, Boolean&   pbMaximalView)     at   Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItemCollection.EnsureListItemsData()     at   Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItemCollection.GetEnumerator()     at   Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFolder.InitializeCorrespondingItems(String[]   fields)     at   Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFile.get_Item()       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSolutionExporter.GetFileInfo(SPFile file,   String folderUrl, Boolean getFileListId)       at   Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSolutionExporter.GetFilesInFolderTree(SPFolder folder,   SortedList`2 filesInFolder, List`1 webViews)     at   Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSolutionExporter.GetFilesInFolderTree(SPFolder folder,   SortedList`2 filesInFolder, List`1 webViews)     at   Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSolutionExporter.GetFilesInFolderTree(SPFolder folder,   SortedList`2 filesInFolder, List`1 webViews)     at   Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSolutionExporter.GetFilesInWeb(String   workflowTemplateName)     at   Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSolutionExporter.GenerateSolutionFiles()     at   Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSolutionExporter.ExportWebAsSolution()
    02/22/2013   14:39:23 w3wp.exe (0x1CA0) 0x0D10 Runtime tkau Unexpected System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException:   Cannot complete this action.  Please   try again.    at   Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.GetListItemDataWithCallback2(IListItemSqlClient   pSqlClient, String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, String bstrViewName, String   bstrViewXml, SAFEARRAYFLAGS fSafeArrayFlags, ISP2DSafeArrayWriter   pSACallback, ISPDataCallback pPagingCallback, ISPDataCallback   pPagingPrevCallback, ISPDataCallback pFilterLinkCallback, ISPDataCallback   pSchemaCallback, ISPDataCallback pRowCountCallback, Boolean&   pbMaximalView)     at   Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetListItemDataWithCallback2(IListItemSqlClient   pSqlClient, String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, String bstrViewName, String   bstrViewXml, SAFEARRAYFLAGS fSafeArrayFlags, ISP2DSafeArrayWriter   pSACallback, ISPDataCallback pPagingCallback, ISPDataCallback   pPagingPrevCallback, ISPDataCallback pFilterLinkCallback, ISPDataCallback   pSchemaCallback, ISPDataCallback pRowCountCallback, Boolean&   pbMaximalView)
    02/22/2013   14:39:23 w3wp.exe (0x1CA0) 0x0D10 Monitoring b4ly High Leaving   Monitored Scope (Request   (POST:https://<REMOVED_URL>).   Execution Time=11517.2361291728
    Friday, February 22, 2013 9:20 PM
  • Generally touching the databases is not supported :-)

Has this template been deployed, edited, repackaged, re-deployed, rinse and repeat, by chance?

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, February 22, 2013 9:57 PM
  • You can directly query the SP databases as long as you use "with(NOLOCK)" freely. You just can't edit anything in the db's according to Microsoft.

The template that is trying to be saved is a "nothing special" site. Just the framework. The end user will save that and then let whomever change it to their needs.

I'm beginning to believe that there is maybe a locked process on the SQL side that is causing a timeout and and displaying the credential denial.

Any other thoughts?

Saturday, February 23, 2013 7:49 AM
  • Microsoft wants you to treat the databases as black boxes.  "NOLOCK" does not prevent locks, and does not prevent the interference of your queries with SharePoint operations (which is what would make it unsupported).

0x80004005 is access denied, but this is not coming from SQL in this particular case.

-----------------------

Saturday, February 23, 2013 6:01 PM
  • So do you have an idea of what to look at? If it is a permissions issue, why would the end user be able to save the site as a template one minute, then not be able to the next?

I'll research whatever suggestions I can get to resolve this, but it leads me to believe that there is something on the SQL side that is buggering up the process. If duplicate profiles were present I can see how permissions would come into play, but there isn't since the directory replication issue was corrected.

Thanks again!

Monday, February 25, 2013 6:21 PM
  • What does this list look like?  Total item count?  Any unique permissions on any list items?

-----------------------

Monday, February 25, 2013 7:17 PM
  • As stated originally, this is not a list. This is a sub-site that my end user is trying to save as a template. Generally it fails, but he is able to save as a template successfully at random times.

There is nothing fancy going on with the sub-site. Vanilla creation.

Monday, February 25, 2013 8:08 PM
  • In the ULS log, are there any other details above the line "Failed   to compile XML." with the same correlation ID?

-----------------------

Monday, February 25, 2013 8:25 PM
  • There are several "Leaving Monitor Scope..." entries and a few "SPSolutionExporter" entries. The entry just before the failure is: 

Time: 02/22/2013 14:39:23.08 
    Process: w3wp.exe
    Thread: (0x1CA0)
    Category: Monitoring 
    EventID: b4ly 
    Level: High 
    Message: Leaving Monitored Scope (EnsureListItemsData#12). Execution Time=254.561124388714 722f22c6-1ba0-4472-8cbe-cd6c0c66d06b

No other failures are listed with that correlation ID.

Monday, February 25, 2013 8:42 PM
  • Can you set the category SharePoint Foundation -> Database to Verbose and repeat the action?  Please include all entries associated with that correlation ID.  Also, if you could, can you upload it to SkyDrive/Dropbox/etc in a text file?  Makes it easier to read.

-----------------------

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:50 AM
  • Hypothesizing that this particular site has the publishing infrastructure enabled whereas the newly created web application and top level site collection and site did not have the publishing infrastructure enabled?  Can you tell me which template was used to provision the top level site collection?  Also, can you tell me if the site in question has the publishing feature enabled?  See this KB article for Microsoft's supportability on the topic http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2492356  (Trust me, this one gets a lot of customers.) 

Monday, April 15, 2013 4:49 PM
  • OK, I know it has been a ~really long time~ since I opened this up, but "management" has finally allowed me to work on this problem again. I thought I would add this to the thread for others who may have a similar issue.

The solution to this whole problem were two accounts with associated permissions had been removed by a previous, ah-hem... "site administrator" from the TaxonomyHiddenList library permissions.

Going to http://{root}/lists/taxonomyhiddenlist/AllItems.aspx then Library Permissions, all ACL's were removed. What needs to be there is "Authenticated Users" (READ) and "SharePoint\System" (FULL CONTROL).

Once I added those accounts everything was back to it's normal level of dysfunction.

So thank you, Everyone, for your past help and suggestions.

• Marked as answer by CVDale Friday, February 7, 2014 6:15 PM
    Friday, February 7, 2014 6:14 PM