none
DFS replication not working - "DFS Replication service was unable to recover from an internal database error"

Question

• Greetings all. 

We setup a DFS replication group a few days ago - one Win2008r2 server replicating a folder to 15 other Win2008r2 servers.

DFS configured ok and the DFS Topology Status for the replication group show it is fully connected with no problems, however replication does work and we get these errors in the DFS status report:

"The DFS Replication service was unable to recover from an internal database error on volume D:. Replication has stopped for all replicated folders on this volume until the database is automatically rebuilt. If the database is rebuilt successfully, replication will resume after the rebuilding is complete. If the database cannot be rebuilt, a separate event is generated. If you are seeing this error more than two times in seven days, we recommend that you run Chkdsk on the volume that contains the database. Event ID: 2104"

and these corresponding events in the DFSR event logs:

Event 2104: The DFS Replication service failed to recover from an internal database error on volume D:. Replication has been stopped for all replicated folders on this volume. 

Additional Information: 
    Error: 9214 (Internal database error (-1605)) 
    Volume: 055DA31B-64AC-11E1-9550-0050569500FA 
    Database: D:\System Volume Information\DFSR

----------

Event 2212: The DFS Replication service has detected an unexpected shutdown on volume D:. This can occur if the service terminated abnormally (due to a power loss, for example) or an error occurred on the volume. The service has automatically initiated a recovery process. The service will rebuild the database if it determines it cannot reliably recover. No user action is required. 

----------

Event 2004: The DFS Replication service stopped replication on volume D:. This failure can occur because the disk is full, the disk is failing, or a quota limit has been reached. This can also occur if the DFS Replication service encountered errors while attempting to stage files for a replicated folder on this volume. 

Additional Information: 
    Error: 9014 (Database failure) 

----------

Event 2106: The DFS Replication service successfully recovered from an internal database error on volume D:. Replication has resumed on replicated folders on this volume. 

Additional Information: 
    Database: D:\System Volume Information\DFSR

----------

Has anyone experienced a similar issue and have any advice on how to fix? Have already tried the solution mentioned here - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverfiles/thread/7599f885-e445-46db-8ead-2ab41af11206 - but this didn't fix the issue.

I was just looking at this KB article - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979295 - and it sounds very similar to my issue, except the KB article is for Win 2003 (not 2008r2) so I don't know if the same workaround and fix will still work?

Any help would be appreciated - thanks in advance.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 9:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello, 

We can suspect that the above errors come only because of improper permissions set to Drive & its sub folders.

I suggest you check the permissions, whether system account have an access to D:\ or  D:\System Volume Information\ 

More resolution steps for error event IDs 2014&2004 you can find in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957555

Regards, Ravikumar P

Sunday, June 24, 2012 5:49 AM
  • Thanks for your response Ravikumar.

Yes I'd already looked at that possible solution but that hasn't helped :(

SYSTEM account has full permissions to both the D:\ drive and the D:\System Volume Information folder on all of the servers, and disk space isn't the issue either as the D drives on all of the servers have 80GB free.

One piece of information that I forgot to mention before... these servers are all virtual machines cloned from a single VM template - so they all share exactly the same build settings. Do you think the fact that they're 'identical' clones could be part of the problem?

(Although we have built other virtual servers in this exact same way before, set up DFS replication on them and it's always worked perfectly and we've never seen this issue before!)

Any other suggestions or advise? Thanks for the help.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 12:48 PM
  • Hi,

Here is a similar thread which is resolved, please see if it could help:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverfiles/thread/02cc311f-721e-4357-aacb-46854bb1fdbb

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by 1000blocks Tuesday, June 26, 2012 11:45 PM
    Monday, June 25, 2012 8:13 AM
  • Hi,

Here is a similar thread which is resolved, please see if it could help:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverfiles/thread/02cc311f-721e-4357-aacb-46854bb1fdbb

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Excellent - thanks for pointing me in the correct direction Shaon - followed the advice in that thread and fixed the issue now.

1. Deleted the DFSR Replication Group that wasn't working.

2. Uninstalled DFS role feature from Windows on each server and did 2 reboots on each.

3. Used the commands below to remove the hidden DFS Database on each server (this was the key - I hadn't been doing this before so of course the bad database was remaining on each server)

Icacls "d:\System Volume Information" /grant Administrators:F

cd “d:\system volume information"

rd DFSR /s /q

4. Reinstalled DFS role feature on each server and set up a new Replication Group and everything working perfectly now.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 11:52 PM