none
OWA 2013 SP1 - New mail notification sound missing

Question

• Can someone confirm that this has been broken in SP1 or do I have a misconfiguration on my servers?

Thank you

Daniel

Monday, March 3, 2014 7:32 PM

Answers

• Today I installed Exchange 2013 CU7 - finally fixed! Almost a year for a such small, but annoying bug.
    • Marked as answer by Daniel Be Tuesday, February 3, 2015 10:10 PM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 10:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

To add the NewMailNotification event, you need to make changes to the registry.

WARNING: Using the Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Windows 95 or Windows NT. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of the Registry Editor can be solved. Use the Registry Editor at your own risk. You should make a backup copy of the registry files System.dat and User.dat before you edit the registry.

Follow these steps to add the Mailbeep setting and associated sound for mailbeep:

1. Close any programs that are running.
    2. On the Start menu, click Run. Type regedit and click OK.
    3. In the Registry Editor, expand the following key:
          HKEY_USERS\<UserID>\AppEvents\EventLabels

4. On the Edit menu, click New and select Key.
    5. With New Key #1 selected, type Mailbeep , and then press ENTER.
    6. With the Key Mailbeep selected, on the Edit menu, click New and select String Value.
    7. With New String Value #1 selected, type (Default) , and then press ENTER.
    8. With the (Default) entry selected, click Edit and Modify, and type in the value data New Mail Notification , and then press ENTER.

To add a sound for the Mailbeep event, follow these steps:

1. In the Registry Editor, expand the following key:
          HKEY_USERS\<UserID>\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\MailBeep

2. On the Edit menu, click New and select String Value.
    3. With New String Value #1 selected, type (Default) , and then press ENTER.
    4. With the (Default) entry selected, click Edit and Modify and type the value data ding.wav , and then press ENTER.
    5. Click OK and exit the Registry Editor.
    6. Shut down and restart your computer.

For information about how to edit the registry, see the Changing Keys and Values topic in the Registry Editor Help file.

Thanks,

James

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:44 AM
  • Hi,

Do you mean new mail notification sound didn't work? If so, please follow the steps mentioned below to narrow down the issue.

First, please check the Outlook version is full version or light version. Make sure it is full Outlook version.

And you can try in another computer/browser to check the result.

Besides, please check if the "Play sounds in WebPages" has been checked.

1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Go to Internet Options.
    3. Choose advance tab, scroll down and see if "Play sounds in WebPages" has been checked.
    4. If not please check it, click on apply and then ok.

After that, please check whether notifications and reminders are enabled in Outlook Web App. You can check if the RemindersAndNotificationsEnabled parameter is set to true. The default value is true.

Best regards,
    Belinda

Belinda Ma
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Del Dalt Thursday, March 6, 2014 7:51 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Daniel Be Tuesday, September 9, 2014 8:16 AM
    Tuesday, March 4, 2014 8:20 AM
  • Thank you both!

Belinda, I went through your steps because it is OWA, all is fine, but no sound.

After some deeper digging in the Exchange IIS logs I found:

GET /owa/prem/15.0.847.32/resources/sounds/email_notify.mp3 - HTTP error 400

So maybe really a product bug.

Can anybody with SP1 try it?

Daniel

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 5:48 PM
  • Yes, also got Error 400 on all sounds after upgrade to SP1. Mp3-files presents in folder, but IIS don't return it to client.
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:42 PM
  • Thank you Renat, so I'm not the only one.

After a look to the owa2 dll (.NET makes it possible) it seems that someone forgot to declare the "mp3" extension as plain resource file type, so the request is handled as a service call, which make no sense and gives an error.

This is just a guess of me and hopefully CU5 will fix it.

Friday, March 7, 2014 2:55 PM
  • Hello Daniel,

Error code 400 means bad request. The request could not be understood by the server due to malformed syntax. As you mentioned, the setting on both OWA and IE are set. But it is still not working. Could you try to restart the CAS server to see if it is working?

Best regards!

Silver Shen

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 8:19 AM
  • Hello Daniel,

Error code 400 means bad request. The request could not be understood by the server due to malformed syntax. As you mentioned, the setting on both OWA and IE are set. But it is still not working. Could you try to restart the CAS server to see if it is working?

Best regards!

Silver Shen

Of course we understand, what 400 error is. Problem is in SP1, it is bug of one of .NET assemblies, which filters files in IIS for OWA. Doesn't matter of CAS restarting... need to escalate to developers.
    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 8:27 AM
  • Hello,

After Install of SP1 I've also the problem with sound in owa.

If someone know something about a patch.

Thank's.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 11:18 AM
  • Hello Daniel,

After installing the exchange 2013 SP1 in my lab and test. I get the same error code as yours. 

Meanwile, I find some other information:

• In exchange 2013 CU3, the sound file we used is under folder /owa/15.0.516.30/owa2/resources/sounds/notify.mp3
    • In exchange 2013 SP1, the sound file we used is under /owa/prem/15.0.847.32/resources/sounds/email_notify.mp3
    • After replacing the mp3 file on exchange 2013 SP1 server with the one in CU3,, the issue still persists.

iFrom above phenomenon: the mp3 file is working well. But the server is failed to recognize this file. I will forward this issue to our Product team to take this into consideration when develop next exchange version.

Thanks for the time and efforts dedicated to this issue.

Sent By

Silver Shen

Thursday, March 13, 2014 5:04 AM
  • So no luck with the product team, Silver?

Still broken in CU5 :-(

Monday, June 2, 2014 9:56 PM
  • Hello Daniel,

From the release information, it doesn't mention our issue is fixed. To double confirm on this, I will download CU5 and test it in my lab.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2936880

If any update, I will let you know.

Sent By

Silver

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 4:25 AM
  • As answered by MSFT engineer about this bug:

Your issue does not appear to have been raised to the engineering team as a defect, and does not appear to repro in all environments. Please work with support services to investigate so that this issue can be properly resolved for you.

Here, in comments:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2014/05/27/released-exchange-server-2013-cumulative-update-5.aspx
    Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:58 AM
  • Thank you Silver, Renat and me have already tested CU5 with no success, but you're welcome!

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 10:31 AM
  • Hello Daniel,

Thanks for your update. From your tests, I know the issue still persists. After talking with my TL, we will send it to our related team again to push it.

Thanks fo ryour understanding.

Sent By

Silver

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 6:45 AM
  • Thank you Silver!

So CU6 may fix it...

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 8:19 AM
  • Little hint to the MS developers:

Microsoft.Exchange.Security.Authentication.Utility is missing "mp3" in resourcesExtensions I think.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 10:38 AM
  • Hello Daniel,

Thanks for your notification. I will forward your information to our relared team. Thanks!

Sent By

Silver

Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:34 AM
  • Any update on this?  I did a fresh install of CU5 and I have no notification sound on new emails.
    Thursday, July 10, 2014 11:25 AM
  • Same issue here, new mail notification in Exchange 2013 SP1 OWA does not work in any of our client's sites.
    Friday, July 11, 2014 1:28 PM
  • Would also like to see this resolved quickly.
    "How hard can it be"
    Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:12 AM
  • I can't believe we haven't even gotten an acknowledgment of this issue.  Even users of Office 365 have the same issue:

http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/158/p/197663/656763.aspx?ss=04697953-0d4e-40d0-8829-7846accbe0bd#656763

When is this going to be addressed?

Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:44 PM
  • Same here. No new email (or calendar) sound notification.

Exchange 2013 CU5

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:04 PM
  • Can anyone check to see if the have the HTTP Activation installed?  It wasn't installed on my server after install CU5 and it is listed as a prerequisite for Exchange 2013.

You can check if the feature is installed by this PS Cmdlet: Get-WindowsFeature AS-HTTP-Activation

I just installed but I am unable to reboot until later to see if it worked.

You can install it with PS Cmdlet: Install-WindowsFeature AS-HTTP-Activation

Friday, August 15, 2014 5:18 PM
  • Can anyone check to see if the have the HTTP Activation installed?  It wasn't installed on my server after install CU5 and it is listed as a prerequisite for Exchange 2013.

You can check if the feature is installed by this PS Cmdlet: Get-WindowsFeature AS-HTTP-Activation

I just installed but I am unable to reboot until later to see if it worked.

You can install it with PS Cmdlet: Install-WindowsFeature AS-HTTP-Activation

We have EX2013 CU5 and AS-HTTP-Activation enabled already and still no luck. That's not it matt8785.
    Monday, August 25, 2014 1:29 PM
  • We are experiencing the same issue. Just migrated from Exchange 2010 to 2013. No notification sound plays when an email arrives in IE, Firefox, or Chrome. Play sound when email arrives is enabled, and sound played before the update.
    Monday, August 25, 2014 8:21 PM
  • Hello,

Is someone had already installed the CU6 and can say if the sound OWA it fixed ?

Thank you.

Stéphane.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 12:34 PM
  • CU6 NOT fixed that bug.
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 11:01 AM
  • Not fixed still in CU6, do we have any idea of when this will be rectified?
    Monday, September 8, 2014 1:39 PM
  • We're getting closer, this is from the Exchange Team Blog:

The OWA new mail sound notification is confirmed and will be addressed in a future cumulative update. KB2993499 (not yet published) is tracking this issue.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 8:23 AM
  • KB2993499 is still unpublished

Hope it will soon be fixed and published!

Friday, October 24, 2014 3:34 PM
  • Today I installed Exchange 2013 CU7 - finally fixed! Almost a year for a such small, but annoying bug.
    • Marked as answer by Daniel Be Tuesday, February 3, 2015 10:10 PM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 10:43 PM