none
Random __REQUESTDIGEST=InvalidFormDigest on a SharePoint 2013 publishing page RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    We have a SharePoint 2013 publishing site, with a custom master page. 

    Occasionally the request digest doesn't seem to get generated properly by the server-side FormDigest control. When viewing the page source, I can occasionally see the following markup:

    <input name="__REQUESTDIGEST" id="__REQUESTDIGEST" type="hidden" value="InvalidFormDigest"/>

    I've verified that the InvalidFormDigest value obviously gets sent back to the server, which causes OTB functionality, such as the note board web part to fail when trying to post a note.

    This behavior is random, i.e. this doesn't happen every time I load a page. Also, I've only seen this behavior in a single environment so far. The same site is working fine in other environments. The installation has been scripted, so the site is identical (apart from content obviously) in all environments.

    The master page does have the FormDigest control added, but it seems to fail sometimes:

    <SharePoint:AjaxDelta id="DeltaFormDigest" BlockElement="true" runat="server"><asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderFormDigest" runat="server"><SharePoint:formdigest ID="Formdigest1" runat="server" /></asp:ContentPlaceHolder></SharePoint:AjaxDelta>

    As this is a publishing site, I was wondering if the AjaxDelta control could be causing issues here?

    I'm not sure if this is a developer or an issue with the environment's setup. The site is secured with SSL. Another bit of information, that might be relevant, is that the site's url has been changed at one point. 

    I wasn't able to find anything relevant in ULS logs.

    Thanks for any ideas,

    Jarno

    Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:13 AM

Answers

  • Thanks Allison,

    After discussing this with Microsoft, the issue seems to have creeped into the product in the March 2013 CU (for both SP 2010 and 2013, actually).

    Looks like June 2013 CU has fixed it in my 2013 environment. I've also seen reports, that June 2013 CU for SharePoint 2010 fixes it for SharePoint 2010.

    Hope this helps.

    • Marked as answer by Jarno Leikas Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:03 AM
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:02 AM

All replies

  • Of course I forgot to tell what the end-user effect is:

    - Noteboard on a page either gets stuck in "Waiting..." state, or reports an error, when posting a comment. When the form digest is valid, Noteboard works

    - Posting through tags and notes seems to work every time.

    As a sidenote, I noticed that SP2010 April 2013 CU may cause the same error, please see comments for this post: http://blogs.technet.com/b/stefan_gossner/archive/2013/04/10/april-2013-cu-for-sharepoint-2010-has-been-released.aspx

    Friday, April 26, 2013 7:07 AM
  • This happens in multiple environments. I've noticed that the failing sites have the March 2013 CU installed. RTM version seems to work fine.

    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:29 AM
  • Hi there,

    I've been working with MS on a case of a Web analytics web part that gets stuck in 'Loading...' after April 2012 CU.  This was the work around he provided that fixed for us. (add the hidden CEWP on the page where your NoteBoard part is)

    Here is the documented workaround if this is happening:

    1.         Please put the following JavaScript to a .txt file and upload the file to document library in the root of the site.

    <Script Type="text/javascript">

            function CustomUpdateFormDigest()

            {

                if(window._spPageContextInfo != null)

                {

                  var $v_2 = window._spPageContextInfo;

                  var $v_3 = $v_2.webServerRelativeUrl;

                  var $v_4 = window._spFormDigestRefreshInterval;

                  UpdateFormDigest($v_3, $v_4);

                }

             }

             CustomUpdateFormDigest();

    </Script>

    1.         Add a “Content Editor” web part from “Media and Content” web parts category.
    2.         Edit the “Content Editor” web part and link
      its content to the .txt file path we created and uploaded in Step 1.
    3.         Hide the web part by checking “Hidden” under “Layout”.
    4.         Save and publish the page.
    5.         See if the issue goes away.

    Good Luck.


    Allison Bates

    • Proposed as answer by shailendra.j Wednesday, July 9, 2014 6:30 AM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 1:57 PM
  • I typo'd - April 2013 CU

    Allison Bates

    Friday, May 31, 2013 1:57 PM
  • Thanks Allison,

    After discussing this with Microsoft, the issue seems to have creeped into the product in the March 2013 CU (for both SP 2010 and 2013, actually).

    Looks like June 2013 CU has fixed it in my 2013 environment. I've also seen reports, that June 2013 CU for SharePoint 2010 fixes it for SharePoint 2010.

    Hope this helps.

    • Marked as answer by Jarno Leikas Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:03 AM
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:02 AM