none
WSUS keeps downloading old updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have a disconnected network (export import).

I have just clean installed WSUS 3.0 SP2.

My clients are using windows xp sp3

the wsus server on the outer network is downloading updates that were released in 2001...

this is causing allot of garbege to stack up on my servers...

is there a way to "tell" the server that i want only "new" updates? or updates that were released from sp3 and later?

thankes,

itamar
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 9:20 AM

Answers

• the wsus server on the outer network is downloading updates that were released in 2001...

is there a way to "tell" the server that i want only "new" updates? or updates that were released from sp3 and later?

I guess the first question is whether your use of the phrase "downloading updates" means "synchronizing update metadata" or actually downloading "update binary files".

The former, synchronizing metadata, is driven by the Products you selected for synchronization, and *ALL* updates currently contained in the Microsoft Update catalog for the selected products will be synchronized. The way to restrict this is to only select the Products that you actually need.

The latter, downloading update binary files, only has two possible ways to occur

[1] The updates are APPROVED for installation.

[2] The option "Download update files to this server only when updates are approved" has been UNCHECKED.
           (This option is found in Options | Update Files and Languages on the Update Files tab.)

So, if the question is about downloading binary files (which is what the semantics of your question suggests), the way you tell the server that you only want "new updates" is:
    [a] Leave the option "Download update files to this server only when updates are approved" CHECKED, and
    [b] Only approve new updates.

But if the question is really about update metadata  -- which is what I suspect, despite the actual wording of the question -- then the answer is: You don't select products you don't need, and otherwise you get everything in that product category since the inception of Microsoft Update (or the product, whichever is later).

So... yes... it's quite natural that you'll be downloading content from 2001 if you enabled the product category for Windows 2000.
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2010)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Monday, January 25, 2010 12:43 AM

All replies

• the wsus server on the outer network is downloading updates that were released in 2001...

I guess the first question is whether your use of the phrase "downloading updates" means "synchronizing update metadata" or actually downloading "update binary files".

The former, synchronizing metadata, is driven by the Products you selected for synchronization, and *ALL* updates currently contained in the Microsoft Update catalog for the selected products will be synchronized. The way to restrict this is to only select the Products that you actually need.

The latter, downloading update binary files, only has two possible ways to occur

[1] The updates are APPROVED for installation.

[2] The option "Download update files to this server only when updates are approved" has been UNCHECKED.
           (This option is found in Options | Update Files and Languages on the Update Files tab.)

So, if the question is about downloading binary files (which is what the semantics of your question suggests), the way you tell the server that you only want "new updates" is:
    [a] Leave the option "Download update files to this server only when updates are approved" CHECKED, and
    [b] Only approve new updates.

But if the question is really about update metadata  -- which is what I suspect, despite the actual wording of the question -- then the answer is: You don't select products you don't need, and otherwise you get everything in that product category since the inception of Microsoft Update (or the product, whichever is later).

So... yes... it's quite natural that you'll be downloading content from 2001 if you enabled the product category for Windows 2000.
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2010)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Monday, January 25, 2010 12:43 AM
  • Thankes, that answered my question.

my question was about synchronizing update metadata.

itamar
    Monday, January 25, 2010 7:02 AM