none
Limiting the amount displayed in the webpart

Question

• Is there a way to limit the number of lines displayed on the announcements webpart on the default page to a site or even just the title of the announcment only? 
    Monday, February 23, 2009 9:38 PM

Answers

•  

Hi

For your first question, there is no OOTB to limit the number of lines displayed on the announcement web part. However you can make the announcement just shows the title of each item by modifying this web part. The steps are as below:

1.         Click “Modify Shared Web Part” which is beside the “Announcement”

2.         In the List Views, choose “All items” in the “Selected View”

3.         Click “OK”

You will see that only the title of all announcement list items display on the page. By clicking “edit the current view” you can configure this view.

For your second question, there is no Content Query Webpart in WSS 3.0.

Hope this can help you.

Lu Zou

• Marked as answer by Stunpals Tuesday, March 03, 2009 9:33 PM
    Monday, March 02, 2009 9:52 AM

All replies

• Stunpals,

Since this web part is displaying items from Announcements list, simply modify Announcements list view and set "Number of items to display" value in "Item Limit" section, and select "Limit the total number of items returned to the specified amount."

1. View All Site Content > Announcements
    2. On the list toolbar: View > Modify this view
    3. Item Limit section(bottom of the page) > Number of items to display > Limit the total number of items returned to the specified amount.

zieglers
    MCTS,MCPD,MCITP,MCT
    http://zieglers.wordpress.com/
    Monday, February 23, 2009 10:19 PM
  •  I am not sure this is what I am looking for.

What I am trying to do is not limit the number of announcements but how much of the text of each individual announcement that is displayed.
    For example, 1-2 lines or maybe even the Title only, I am not sure what would be best yet. I find the announcement webpart looks a bit cluttered when you have several long posts.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:49 PM
  • Stunpals,

I see your problem. Then try to edit settings of Body column of Announcements list. There is a property called "Number of lines for Editing" in Additional Column Settings section. However, setting this value to 1 or 2 will also limit text you can enter in your announcement.

If again, this is not what you want, do you want to keep # of lines for body,say 15, and then just display 1-2 lines for body in web part for each announcement? In this case you'll need a link there, for example, saying "Read more...". (at least as part of best practices)

zieglers

MCTS,MCPD,MCITP,MCT
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:34 PM
  • In order to show only Title of announcements, you need to modify web part using SP Designer. Simply do the following:

1. Open the page in design mode using SPD (on which Announcements web part resides)
    2. Right click on Announcements wp, which is initially a ListViewWebPart.
    3. Click on "Convert to XSLT Data View" (this will convert LVWP to DFWP)
    4. Save page.

After applying those Announcements wp should only display Title. If you want to modify displayed columns, go to Common Data View Tasks > Edit Columns.

Hope this helps.

zieglers
    MCTS,MCPD,MCITP,MCT
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:26 PM
  • Another option would be to use the Content Query Web Part to display the content from the Announcements list.  You could then modify the ItemStyle.XSL file and create a view specific to your needs.  At that point it's just an XSL modification.  No SharePoint Designer needed, no page modifications.  Simply check out the XSL, modify it, test it, check it in...done.

Assumptions...using a "flavor" of MOSS and utilizing the Publishing features.

- M

- Michael Mukalian - MCTS: MOSS 2007 Configuration - http://www.mukalian.com/blog
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Thanks for the replies I will need to try them out.

Zieglers
    As in your 2nd suggestion I don't want to limit the number of lines in the announcement only what is displayed in the webpart. If I am understanding you then the person posting would have to manually put a link in to the full announcment?

I only have a demo of SPD and this maybe an option should I decide to purchase it.

Michael
    We are using WSS 3.0 and I don't think the Content Query Webpart available for us?

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:45 PM
  •  

Hi

For your first question, there is no OOTB to limit the number of lines displayed on the announcement web part. However you can make the announcement just shows the title of each item by modifying this web part. The steps are as below:

1.         Click “Modify Shared Web Part” which is beside the “Announcement”

2.         In the List Views, choose “All items” in the “Selected View”

3.         Click “OK”

You will see that only the title of all announcement list items display on the page. By clicking “edit the current view” you can configure this view.

For your second question, there is no Content Query Webpart in WSS 3.0.

Hope this can help you.

Lu Zou

• Marked as answer by Stunpals Tuesday, March 03, 2009 9:33 PM
    Monday, March 02, 2009 9:52 AM
  • Hello Everyone,
    I am having simillar kind of requirement as below:
    1) I am using out-of-box announcement web-part in WSS 3.0
    2) I am entering six different annoucements on date as 2nd April,3rd April,4th April,5th April,6th April.
    3) I want to display latest three (3) announcments as per date (i.e. 4th April,5th April and 6th April) on announcement web-part.
    4) As Content query web-part is not available in WSS 3.0, Is there any way to fulfill this requirement in WSS 3.0 ?

Thanks in advance.

Amit
    Thursday, April 02, 2009 4:49 AM