none
The pool managing the instance is not available or the location monitoring object cannot be found - discovery progress RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have installed scom 2012 with integrated SP1 on windows server 2008 R2 with integrated SP1 and SQL 2008 R2 SP2.

The Problem I have is when trying to discovery I´m getting this error:

The pool managing the instance is not available or the location monitoring object cannot be found

Date: 05.03.2013 14:44:22
    Application: Operations Manager
    Application Version: 7.0.9538.0
    Severity: Error
    Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.LocationObjectNotFoundException: The pool managing the instance is not available or the location monitoring object cannot be found.
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.ServiceProxy.HandleFault(String methodName, Message message)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.AdministrationServiceProxy.LaunchDiscovery(Guid batchId, IList`1 jobDefinitions)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Administration.ManagementServer.BeginExecuteWindowsDiscovery(IList`1 discoveryConfigurations, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Administration.DiscoveryProgress.<>c__DisplayClass7.<SubmitTask>b__3(Object , ConsoleJobEventArgs )
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Console.ConsoleJobExceptionHandler.ExecuteJob(IComponent component, EventHandler`1 job, Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)

How can I solve this? Thank you.

gruss Daniel Ovadia MBSS - Microsoft Dynamics CRM MCNPS

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 1:50 PM

Answers

• I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to share my experience and solution to this issue. This page is the first to come up in search results, so hopefully it will get noticed if needed.

Environment:
    All servers 2012R2, hyper-v.

2 servers running clustering services with SQL as a role.

1 SCOM server, 2012R2 install.

No firewalls (windows or otherwise), network is any any.

During installation, the wizard asks for the SQL server name and instance name. These are provided and the installation continues and sets up all the SCOM DBs. 

After installation, I attempted to perform discovery and ran into the same pool error that others have reported. Much web surfing led me to this page and similar ones with the same set of instructions about the SQL browser and broker services, account permissions, etc. None of these fixed the problem.

A little more digging in event logs shows that there are actually some SQL connectivity issues. Also, the SCOM server is showing as "Not Monitored" under discovered inventory. 

Solution:

The issue lays with the connection string that SCOM uses to talk to the SQL server. Although the instance name is required during setup, it seems to be messing with the connection after setup. 

To fix:

Navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\Operations Manager\Server

Open (as administrator) ConfigService.config

Edit the following lines, removing the \INSTANCENAME values so that only the SQL server value is shown.

<Category Name="Cmdb">

<Setting Name="ServerName" Value="SQLSERVERNAME\INSTANCENAME" />

<Category Name="ConfigStore">

Restart System Center Management Configuration and System Center Data Access Service.

Watch your event logs. The connectivity errors should clear up. Once they have, try your discovery again and you should be good to go.

• Proposed as answer by JonnyBoy4 Thursday, May 5, 2016 6:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Daniel Ovadia Wednesday, December 7, 2016 9:52 PM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 5:05 PM
  • Hi,

Please check if the SQL server browser service is started

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Daniel Ovadia Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:22 PM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 1:57 PM
  • Daniel the official supported configuration is for SQL 2008 R2 SP1 or above. I don't believe Microsoft will support it on SQL 2008 R2 without SP.

To your original question, can you provide some information about the OpsMgr infrastructure (i.e. number and health of Management Servers etc) as well as the forest/domain infrastructure. Are the servers you are attempting to deploy the agent to all in the same domain? Have you tried manually installing an agent and see whether it appears in pending management? Also, check that there are no firewall rules that may be blocking agent deployment (try to telnet to the Management Server on port 5723).

Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:51 AM
  • Hi,

Please check the accounts created during the deployment and ensure they are configured properly:

Deploying System Center 2012 - Operations Manager
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh298609.aspx

If the issue persists, please also check Event Log and let us know the details.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 8, 2013 5:35 AM
  • See the article I wrote/posted here about monitoring Domain Controllers: http://adinermie.wordpress.com/2014/02/26/scom-agent-grayed-out-when-trying-to-monitor-domain-controllers/

And to add an account to Local Administrators role on a Domain Controller, follow this:

Open a command promt using the "Run as administrator" function and then run the following command.

net localgroup Administrators /add {domain}\{user}

• Marked as answer by Daniel Ovadia Monday, November 17, 2014 2:11 PM
    Saturday, March 29, 2014 8:52 PM
  • I had to install on the DC before installing the client OOMADs from the helper objects folder of the scom installmedia

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check if the SQL server browser service is started

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 1:57 PM
  • Thanks for you´re response, yes the sql server browser is started as local service.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:45 PM
  • well, i´m going to setup again..

I will use operationsmanager2012 with integrated SP1 on SQL 2008 R2 without SPs.. should this work?

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 2:54 PM
  • Daniel the official supported configuration is for SQL 2008 R2 SP1 or above. I don't believe Microsoft will support it on SQL 2008 R2 without SP.

To your original question, can you provide some information about the OpsMgr infrastructure (i.e. number and health of Management Servers etc) as well as the forest/domain infrastructure. Are the servers you are attempting to deploy the agent to all in the same domain? Have you tried manually installing an agent and see whether it appears in pending management? Also, check that there are no firewall rules that may be blocking agent deployment (try to telnet to the Management Server on port 5723).

Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:51 AM
  • Hi,

Please check the accounts created during the deployment and ensure they are configured properly:

Deploying System Center 2012 - Operations Manager
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh298609.aspx

If the issue persists, please also check Event Log and let us know the details.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 8, 2013 5:35 AM
  • well thanks all, i already setted up again and now it works...

The only thing that I´m runnin ginto now is that I cant install the agent on the server that is hosting the domain controller role..

At the end of the wizard its telling me that "account verification error"

But I can´t add to local admin on the domain controller?

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 9:55 AM
  • I had to install on the DC before installing the client OOMADs from the helper objects folder of the scom installmedia

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:21 PM
  • See the article I wrote/posted here about monitoring Domain Controllers: http://adinermie.wordpress.com/2014/02/26/scom-agent-grayed-out-when-trying-to-monitor-domain-controllers/

And to add an account to Local Administrators role on a Domain Controller, follow this:

Open a command promt using the "Run as administrator" function and then run the following command.

net localgroup Administrators /add {domain}\{user}

• Marked as answer by Daniel Ovadia Monday, November 17, 2014 2:11 PM
    Saturday, March 29, 2014 8:52 PM
  • I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to share my experience and solution to this issue. This page is the first to come up in search results, so hopefully it will get noticed if needed.

Environment:
    All servers 2012R2, hyper-v.

2 servers running clustering services with SQL as a role.

1 SCOM server, 2012R2 install.

No firewalls (windows or otherwise), network is any any.

During installation, the wizard asks for the SQL server name and instance name. These are provided and the installation continues and sets up all the SCOM DBs. 

After installation, I attempted to perform discovery and ran into the same pool error that others have reported. Much web surfing led me to this page and similar ones with the same set of instructions about the SQL browser and broker services, account permissions, etc. None of these fixed the problem.

A little more digging in event logs shows that there are actually some SQL connectivity issues. Also, the SCOM server is showing as "Not Monitored" under discovered inventory. 

Solution:

The issue lays with the connection string that SCOM uses to talk to the SQL server. Although the instance name is required during setup, it seems to be messing with the connection after setup. 

To fix:

Navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\Operations Manager\Server

Open (as administrator) ConfigService.config

Edit the following lines, removing the \INSTANCENAME values so that only the SQL server value is shown.

<Category Name="Cmdb">

<Category Name="ConfigStore">

Restart System Center Management Configuration and System Center Data Access Service.

Watch your event logs. The connectivity errors should clear up. Once they have, try your discovery again and you should be good to go.

• Proposed as answer by JonnyBoy4 Thursday, May 5, 2016 6:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Daniel Ovadia Wednesday, December 7, 2016 9:52 PM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 5:05 PM
  • This worked perfectly. After removing the Instance Name I was able to find all computers.
    Tks!
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 7:44 AM
  • Splendid...this worked perfectly!!! All the other tutorials have missed the mark, this was the only solution that worked for me. Thank you so much.
    Wednesday, December 7, 2016 9:47 PM
  • This solution also works in SCOM 2016. Thank you.
    Monday, January 22, 2018 7:11 PM
  • This solution is still working in out of box install of 1801 and SQL Std 2016. Thanks a ton!!
    Monday, February 19, 2018 8:51 AM
  • This worked perfectly. After removing the Instance Name I was able to find all clients.

Thanks

Wednesday, December 26, 2018 9:12 PM
  • Kissing your eyes brother - works also on OM2019 !
    Sunday, November 10, 2019 1:27 AM