none
MARS Agent is not registering with Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was trying to install MABSv3. but the installation of MABS v3 has failed in between the installation (After SQL installation).

i have retried the installation but, the setup is not able register the server with Azure (this step was successful in previous install). getting error internal error encountered.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 8:53 AM

Answers

• The issue is the following:

"Could not register this server as this server is already registered with the vault under a different Backup Management Type."

The server you are trying to register is already registered to the same Recovery Services Vault, you need to delete it from the Recovery Services Vault and then try re-registering it.

1. Go to the Recovery Services vault in the Azure Portal.

2. Go to your Vault.

3. Under Manage click on Backup Infrastructure.

4. Under Management servers click on Backup Management Servers.

5. Select your management server which is there (should be the same as the one you're trying to register) and delete it. 

Once deleted, try to register your MABS server again.

This is a known issue, you can find it in the "Known issues" section under the following link:
    Mandatory update for Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Agent

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by Vinod C V Wednesday, August 21, 2019 12:51 PM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 11:20 AM
  • Hi Vinod,

From the Error- 

Could not register this server as this server is already registered with the vault under a different Backup Management Type

Please login to Azure Portal, then select the recovery service vault where you are trying to register this server.

Recovery Service Vault -> Backup Infrastructure-> Backup Management Server

Check if the server shows up as System Center DPM or Azure Backup Server.

Sometimes i have seen it shows up as System Center DPM for some reason, if this is a new installation you can delete that and re-try the registration. But if you are trying to re-register your MABS for some reason and you have existing data on azure (Don't delete that server from Azure else you will lose your data),Open a ticket with Microsoft & we will help you.

Regards

Rahul

• Edited by Rahul.Choudhary Wednesday, August 21, 2019 11:24 AM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 11:23 AM
  • Hello Vinod,

I am not sure what the reason is but i have seen this in similar scenarios while upgrading to MABS v3 from v2. We are working on this as i have few cases with same issue. I don't think that it was registered as System Center DPM before, it might have changed during the upgrade as seen in other cases. 

Did you deleted the server from Azure Portal? Because if you have existing backups on azure they will be lost as a consequence if you delete the server from Azure. 

Regards

Rahul

• Marked as answer by Vinod C V Thursday, August 22, 2019 11:44 AM
    Thursday, August 22, 2019 10:55 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please provide the full error message and any error IDs, screenshots may also help.

Please also make sure you meet the system requirements for MABS v3:

Supported Operating System

Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2019

• Processor:
      Minimum: 1 GHz, dual-core CPU
      Recommended: 2.33 GHz quad-core CPU

RAM:
      Minimum: 8GB
      Recommended: 10GB

Hard Drive Space:
      Minimum: 5GB
      Recommended: 10GB

Disks for backup storage pool: 1.5 times size of data to be protected

Best regards,
    Leon

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 9:01 AM
  • Thanks.

I am installing MABS v3 in Server 2016 and meeting the required hardware requirements.

please find the error screen while i am retrying

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 9:10 AM
  • Wednesday, August 21, 2019 9:11 AM
  • Please refer to the following documentation:

Troubleshoot the Microsoft Azure Recovery Services (MARS) agent
    The activation did not complete successfully

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 9:13 AM
  • I have gone with the same link earlier and couldn't help :-(

while checking the error log found below

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 9:22 AM
  • Wednesday, August 21, 2019 9:23 AM
  • The issue is the following:

"Could not register this server as this server is already registered with the vault under a different Backup Management Type."

The server you are trying to register is already registered to the same Recovery Services Vault, you need to delete it from the Recovery Services Vault and then try re-registering it.

1. Go to the Recovery Services vault in the Azure Portal.

2. Go to your Vault.

3. Under Manage click on Backup Infrastructure.

4. Under Management servers click on Backup Management Servers.

5. Select your management server which is there (should be the same as the one you're trying to register) and delete it. 

Once deleted, try to register your MABS server again.

This is a known issue, you can find it in the "Known issues" section under the following link:
    Mandatory update for Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Agent

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 11:20 AM
  • Hi Vinod,

From the Error- 

Could not register this server as this server is already registered with the vault under a different Backup Management Type

Please login to Azure Portal, then select the recovery service vault where you are trying to register this server.

Recovery Service Vault -> Backup Infrastructure-> Backup Management Server

Check if the server shows up as System Center DPM or Azure Backup Server.

Sometimes i have seen it shows up as System Center DPM for some reason, if this is a new installation you can delete that and re-try the registration. But if you are trying to re-register your MABS for some reason and you have existing data on azure (Don't delete that server from Azure else you will lose your data),Open a ticket with Microsoft & we will help you.

Regards

Rahul

• Edited by Rahul.Choudhary Wednesday, August 21, 2019 11:24 AM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 11:23 AM
  • Hi Rahul/Leon,

I have checked and found that the server is registered as SCDPM. In my case this server was working with MABSv2 and while upgrading the MABS v3 it was failed. then i thought to reinstall the MABS. at that time i have received this error. I am not sure what was the status of the server in Azure before starting the upgrade process.

Due to my curiosity i am asking this. could you please tell me why the server is registered as SCDPM, if the server was registered as SCDPM (in earlier), how the previous version was worked? :-)

Thanks in advance

Regards

Vinod C V

Thursday, August 22, 2019 7:39 AM
  • Hello Vinod,

I am not sure what the reason is but i have seen this in similar scenarios while upgrading to MABS v3 from v2. We are working on this as i have few cases with same issue. I don't think that it was registered as System Center DPM before, it might have changed during the upgrade as seen in other cases. 

Did you deleted the server from Azure Portal? Because if you have existing backups on azure they will be lost as a consequence if you delete the server from Azure. 

Regards

Rahul

• Marked as answer by Vinod C V Thursday, August 22, 2019 11:44 AM
    Thursday, August 22, 2019 10:55 AM
  • Hi Rahul,

I am not deleted the server account yet. I have asked my escalation team to escalate this issue with Microsoft and waiting for their response.

:-)

Thanks Rahul.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 11:43 AM
  • MABS is based on System Center DPM, however I can't say why you saw "System Center DPM" in the Azure portal, even if you had MABS v2 installed and registered to Azure.

It might be a graphical bug or have something to do while you were trying to upgrade to MABS v3.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 11:44 AM