none
Changed the SOA record for a zone to a different Server, but it keeps changing itself back again RRS feed

• Question

• can someone please help me with the following as it is driving me nuts

Using the DNS GUI in Windows Server 2012 R2 AD Domain with integrated DNS (standard setup)

When I open the properties of the SOA record for a zone (there is more than one DC in the domain but only one SOA record pointing to one of the DCs). There is a browse button next to the 'primary server' field. If I click on this and then browse to another server in DNS via the GUI and chose this as the new Primary Server, then apply the change (not errors) looks good until I close and reopen the DNS GUI (and or reboot the server) whereby when I look at the SOA record again it has gone back to the original server e.g. my change does not stick. I have also added a trailing . to the end of the FQDN name of the server (as it was there on the original field) however this made no difference

Does anyone know why the change is not sticking (I am logged in as enterprise admin)

The reason I want to change the SOA record is because I want to retire the server that holds the record at the moment.

Thanks all

CXMelga

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 6:00 PM

Answers

• The SOA record seems to be set to the DNS server that hosts the zone.

In my domain there are two domain controllers, say DC01, DC02, that each are also domain integrated DNS servers. Now, if I query the SOA for the domain using DC01 as the DNS server i will get the result that DC01 is SOA. If I query DC02 the result is that DC02 is SOA. That's why I believe this will sort itself out automatically on your end as you retire a DNS server or domain controller.

Do you also have more than one DNS server?

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 8:13 PM

All replies

• The SOA record seems to be set to the DNS server that hosts the zone.

In my domain there are two domain controllers, say DC01, DC02, that each are also domain integrated DNS servers. Now, if I query the SOA for the domain using DC01 as the DNS server i will get the result that DC01 is SOA. If I query DC02 the result is that DC02 is SOA. That's why I believe this will sort itself out automatically on your end as you retire a DNS server or domain controller.

Do you also have more than one DNS server?

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 8:13 PM
  • Hello PKersey 

Thanks very much for taking the time to help me out with question. I have two DCs (whcih are also DNS servers), but only looked at it from the one DCs perspective. I will take a second look bit this time from the other DCs perspective and update this post 

Thanks again

CXMelga

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 3:27 PM
  • Hi CXMelga,

I tested it in my lab, and got the same result as PKersey mentioned above.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 5, 2019 5:46 AM
  • Thanks All

Yes, my question is now answered, it basically depends from which server you are viewing the information the SOA will default the server you are on. So when you change server the SOA will change to the server you are on.

Thanks

CXmelga

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 8:02 AM
  • Hi,

I am pleased to know that the information is helpful to you. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:32 AM