none
Unable to uninstall DPM2012 Agent from Target Server

Question

• I've just had to build a new DPM 2016 to replace and failed DPM 2012 system.

One of the target servers it was protecting was a Windows 2008 R2 running SQL Server.  It hasn't had a backup in almost a month now.  It also has several Windows updates pending.  I tried to remove the agent from the new DPM server but get 

"Protection Agent Version 5.0.342.0.

Data Protection Error ID 308

The protection agent operation failed because DPM could not communicate with the Protection Agent Service on (server).

A security package specific error occurred (0x80070721)

Previously, if I have run into agent-server mismatches I've been able to uninstall from the target server, reboot and then install the new client (either directly from the DPM server, or by mapping a drive to it and using Powershell)

However, when I try to uninstall the Protection Agent I get a message that it cannot find the network resource at  C:\Windows\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\ProtectionAgents\RA\4.1.3465.0\dprma.msi

I performed a fresh install of DPM 2012 to a spare server and tried to copy the .msi file across

I have used powershell to point the target server to the DPM server and add FW exceptions.  I checked that the DPM server is allowed within the DCOM Groups.  VSS, DPMRA services are starting up.

I'm getting rather desperate to get this thing backup up again.  Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Thank you.

Monday, January 8, 2018 2:19 PM

All replies

• Any update to this? Seeing the same issue, just with different version (4.2.1254.0)
    Tuesday, May 14, 2019 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

You can try with the DPM Shell or PowerShell from the DPM server:

Remove-ProductionServer.ps1

Then you need to enter the name of the DPM server, and finally enter the name of the agent computer that you want to be removed.

Once done, close the DPM console and start it up again, and the agent should be gone.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 4:37 PM