SharePoint migration using restore RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    We are creating a new SharePoint site and part of the content in the will come from an existing SharePoint site which was hosted externally and on a different server.

I have created the new site and now want to migrate content from the old one. I have a DVD of the old content and plan to migrate using a restore.

My question is, will the new site be completely overwritten if I do a restore and if there is a work around. An answer or a pointer to a source of info will be appreciated.

Rgds - Prateek
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 11:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Prateek,

If you use a Restore command, it will overwrite the contents of the new site completely.
    One option you have is :

1. Export all the sub sites in the new site one after the other.

stsadm -o export -url <url to be exported, http://rootsite/subsite> -filename c:\filename.cmp

2. Restore your backed up content from the other site. This overwrites the current site completely.

3. Import these subsites that that you had exported.

Thanks

shaiju
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:19 PM

All replies

•  stsadm -o restore -url <url> -filename <filename> [-hostheaderwebapplicationurl <web application url>] [-overwrite]

If u write the -overwrite in your command , then it will overwrite the site otherwise it will not.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:35 AM
  • Hi Prateek,

If you use a Restore command, it will overwrite the contents of the new site completely.
    One option you have is :

1. Export all the sub sites in the new site one after the other.

stsadm -o export -url <url to be exported, http://rootsite/subsite> -filename c:\filename.cmp

2. Restore your backed up content from the other site. This overwrites the current site completely.

3. Import these subsites that that you had exported.

Thanks

shaiju
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:19 PM
  • To migrate on-premise SharePoint documents to an Office 365 site, complete the following steps:

From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > SharePoint Server.
    Right click an Office365 backup set, point to All Tasks, and then click Office365 Migration.
    The Browse and Restore Options dialog box appears.

Complete the following steps to browse the content database:
    Browse and select the SQL Instance that has the content database attached to it.
    If you are browsing from a remote server, type a name for SQL Instance.

Browse and select the Content Database that has to be mined.
    If you are browsing from a remote server, type a name for Content Database.

Click View Content.
    Select the libraries, or lists, that you want to restore, and then click Recover All Selected.
    The Restore Options for All Selected Items dialog box appears.

In the Specify destination path box, type or browse to the location where you want to restore the documents.
    Select the Office365 Migration User Mapping check box, and type or browse to the user mapping text file.
    Click OK.

I hope this helps you in SharePoint Migration.

• Edited by WarnerK Friday, June 12, 2020 1:29 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2020 1:10 PM