SSRS 2008 difference from table and matrix RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

When we drag the table and matrix control in report designer, it seems to have to same type: Tablix.
    And in SSRS 2008 we can add dynamic columns in table. So I just wonder what are the difference of table and matrix? They seems to be the identical control now.

Friday, May 21, 2010 6:29 AM

All replies

• They are basically the same on the initial view with a few differences:

A Tables default style is almost a "List" type interface. You can add groupings on columns or rows

The Matrix default has the initial groupings section on the left hand side of the matrix, and a column grouping section on the top right.

General rule of thumb fro me is to use a table when the number of columns are fixed (a matrix columns can be dynamic), and i am basically listing the SQL result as is. I use the Matrix when wanting perfom groupings on the data (on rows and columns - it works almost like a pivot type report), and where the number of columns can increased or decreased dynamically.

They are both considered to be a tablix, and a table can be made into a matrix and visa versa. It is just the initial view\layout that changes.

Hope this helps

Sean

Friday, May 21, 2010 7:06 AM
  • Thanks you. Your reply is exactly same as what I think!

However there is difference in SSRS 2005 right?

Friday, May 21, 2010 7:29 AM
  • Yes. SSRS 2005 doesnt have tablix control. It has table, matrix and list controls where as SSRS 2008
    Phani Note: Please mark the post as answered if it answers your question.
    Friday, May 21, 2010 8:09 AM
  • in context of SSRS 2008, can anyone please tell me what is the difference between tablix and matrix.

As per my understanding use maxtrix if you need only rows to be dynamic(when columns are fixed), use tablix if both rows and columns to be dynamic.

Regards Amit

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 8:14 AM