none
Connection broker HA problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm setting up an new RDS environment consisting of a server with the connection broker, rdweb and licensing role and 1 session host. All Server 2019 machines fully patched. I have a SQL server 2017 which has multiple named instances, no default instance. One of these instances needs to contain the connection broker HA database. I created an AD security group and added the CB server to it. Created a login in SQL server for this group and gave it the db creator role. I installed the SQL server native client 11 on the CB server. The servers are in the same subnet and firewall settings are OK. When I try to enable HA on the connection broker, it says the database is not available. It does not create the database. This is my connection string:

DRIVER=SQL Server Native Client 11.0;SERVER=servername\instance;Trusted_Connection=Yes;APP=Remote Desktop Services Connection Broker;DATABASE=rdcb

I have also tried with the latest odbc driver using this string:

DRIVER=ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server;SERVER=servername\instance;Trusted_Connection=Yes;APP=Remote Desktop Services Connection Broker;DATABASE=rdcb

When I create the rdcb database beforehand and try to connect to it by creating a dataset via odbc data resources, this works without problems.

I have been searching the internet for 2 days now but found nu solution. Why does this not work?

Guy

Friday, October 11, 2019 6:16 AM

All replies

• HI
    did you try to change server=servername in below ?
    “DRIVER=SQL Server Native Client 11.0;SERVER=servername\instance;Trusted_Connection=Yes;APP=Remote Desktop Services Connection Broker;DATABASE=rdcb”
    in general ,the connection string is like below grammar.
    DRIVER=SQL Server Native Client 11.0;SERVER=<name of SQL server>;Trusted_Connection=Yes;APP=Remote Desktop Services Connection Broker;Database=<name of database>

Remote Desktop Services 2016, Standard Deployment – Part 6 – RD Connection Broker High Availability
    https://nedimmehic.org/2017/05/16/remote-desktop-services-2016-connection-broker-high-availability/

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 11, 2019 2:36 PM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 3:11 AM
  • Yes, the servername\instance are replaced with the correct servername and instance name.

As a test I installed a SQL Express 2017 edition with default instance and this worked instantly. This is clearly a bug when using a sql server named instance.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 12:32 PM
  • I should clarify some more.

I started debugging with tcpview and I could see that the process of enabling HA never even tried to access the ip address of my database server. Only when I used a servername without the instance behind it could I see an attempt to reach my db server. It did not work as there was no default instance but at least I could see that it tried.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 12:36 PM
  • When you configure the RD Broker in HA, be sure to specify the TCP port of the SQL named instance...

DRIVER=SQL Server Native Client 11.0;SERVER=SQLNamedInstance,SQLPORT;Trusted_Connection=Yes;APP=Remote Desktop Services Connection Broker;DATABASE=RDSBROKER

Let say the SQL Named instance is SQLSERVER08 and the TCP Port is 1435, the configuration should be

DRIVER=SQL Server Native Client 11.0;SERVER=SQLSERVER08,1435;Trusted_Connection=Yes;APP=Remote Desktop Services Connection Broker;DATABASE=RDSBROKER

hth

This posting is provided AS IS without warranty of any kind

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 2:10 PM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Ports Used By the Database Engine

By default, the typical ports used by SQL Server and associated database engine services are: TCP 1433, 4022, 135, 1434, UDP 1434. The table below explains these ports in greater detail. A named instance uses dynamic ports.
    Configure the Windows Firewall to Allow SQL Server Access
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/sql-server/install/configure-the-windows-firewall-to-allow-sql-server-access?view=sql-server-ver15

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 10:40 AM
  • The named instance has a dynamic port. This means that it can change when the server restarts. Specifying this in the HA config does not seem like a good idea. All other database access I tried finds this port automatically via the sql server browser. There are other databases on this instance that work with other software. Nowhere do I need to specify the port of the instance. Only the connection broker HA config does not find this port. This for me is a bug.

regards,

Guy

Thursday, October 17, 2019 8:35 AM
  • HI
    Thanks for your reply .I think we can post this issue in below forum.
    Remote Desktop Services voice
    https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 2:23 PM