none
Upgrading DPM 2012 R2 to DPM 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been reading about upgrading our DPM servers from DPM 2012 R2 to DPM 2016, but wanted some clarification on points I'm not sure of.

We have 2 DPM 2012R2 servers, one of which backs up our Windows 2012 R2 8 x node Hyper-V CSV cluster.  They both back each other up as well.

As we are updating SCVMM, and the SCVMM console sits on the DPM server which backs up the Hyper-V cluster, I need to upgrade DPM to 2016 as well.  The servers are both physical and currently run Windows 2012 R2 with SQL 2012.

My plan is to upgrade one of the DPM servers first (the one with the SCVMM console installed which backs up the Hyper-V cluster) and then I will upgrade the second once the last Windows 2008 client that it protects has been upgraded.

As an upgrade plan I was thinking of:

1. Install WMF 4.0 on existing Windows 2008 R2 clients
    2. Upgrade DPM to 2016 (we are currently on DPM 2012 R2 UR 14).
    3. Upgrade OS from 2012 R2 to 2016
    4. Upgrade DPM 2016 to the latest UR
    5. Upgrade SQL from 2012 to 2016

This means the DPM 2016 server would be a physical server which has separate RAID 1 volumes for the C drive (OS), D drive (database), E drive (transaction logs) and F drive (temp db).  There is also a 1Tb volume for DPM restores.  The servers also have 64Gb RAM.

Before I commit to this plan, I wanted to check this is a sensible way forward as I know DPM 2016 is quite a bit different to DPM 2012 R2 in the way it utilises storage etc., and I have read that if you want to use the new storage and deduplication features of DPM 2016 it needs to be installed as a VM (I may not need to use these features and have also read people having problems with them anyway).  Do I also still need the SCVMM console installed on the DPM server which protects the Hyper-V CSV cluster?

I have previously installed DPM 2016 on another network as a physical server which seems to be fine, however I want to ensure I'm not overlooking anything which may cause me problems down the line.  This was also a clean install and not an upgrade.  Both DPM servers are also attached to tape libraries as we run backups to disk and then long term protection to tape.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Chris

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 9:06 AM

Answers

• The only requirement to backup Hyper-V guest virtual machines on a Hyper-V cluster is to have the DPM agent installed on your Hyper-V hosts, DPM will identify the cluster and cluster objects.

However, to be able to find out on which Hyper-V host server the virtual machine is currently running, and to create a new backup from that Hyper-V server, the DPM server must be connected to the VMM server (i.e. VMM console is required).

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by chris624 Wednesday, September 25, 2019 10:39 AM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 10:17 AM

All replies

• Hello Chris,

Your plan seems OK, since there are a lot of steps and changes, remember to take backups of everything before doing anything.

It is not a requirement to have the SCVMM console on the DPM server to be able to protect Hyper-V clusters, the SCVMM console should preferably be on the same version level as DPM.

As of yesterday, Update Rollup 8 was released for DPM 2016.

Before upgrading to DPM 2016, make sure your SQL Server 2012 is running on SP4.

Note: 
    DPM 2012 R2 uses "disks", and if you want to use the old protection data in the new DPM, the DPM 2012 R2 disks will still be shown as "disks" in DPM 2016.

When adding new storage to DPM 2016, they will be considered as "volumes", these will benefit from DPM's new Modern Backup Storage (MBS) feature, while the "disks" wont.

Best regards,
    Leon

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 9:46 AM
  • Thanks Leon,

That's great, cheers.  I am aware disks from 2012 R2 will show as disks instead of volumes, but I guess I will have to leave it as such unless I scrub all existing disk backups and re-add the storage as new.

With regards to SCVMM, I was under the impression it was required so DPM was able to know whereabouts VMs were on the cluster. If I don't need it, then the upgrade won't be so urgent I guess.  If you could confirm this, that would be great.

Thanks again for your help,

Chris

• Edited by chris624 Wednesday, September 25, 2019 9:52 AM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 9:50 AM
  • The only requirement to backup Hyper-V guest virtual machines on a Hyper-V cluster is to have the DPM agent installed on your Hyper-V hosts, DPM will identify the cluster and cluster objects.

However, to be able to find out on which Hyper-V host server the virtual machine is currently running, and to create a new backup from that Hyper-V server, the DPM server must be connected to the VMM server (i.e. VMM console is required).

• Marked as answer by chris624 Wednesday, September 25, 2019 10:39 AM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 10:17 AM
  • Thanks Leon
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 10:39 AM
  • You’re welcome, if you have any other concerns, feel free to create another thread and ask!

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 10:43 AM