none
how to configure outlook for exchange (incoming) and different smtp server (outgoing)

Question

• How do I configure Outlook 2016 to use an exchange server for incoming mail and a different SMTP server for outgoing mail.  I think I did this with an older version of outlook by using Account Settings and adding an account to use imap for incoming (pointing to exchange server which has imaps enabled) and a different server for outgoing.  I can't get past the test for the imap account which is failing (although other mail clients work fine using imaps on port 993; they don't work with plain imap on 143: "BAD command received in Invalid state" from the server after trying the imap "login" command on port 143, but 'OK LOGIN completed' on port 993 with imaps).

What I really want is a way to separate outgoing mail server setup from incoming mail.  Is there a way to do that with Outlook 2016?

Wednesday, January 03, 2018 9:39 PM

All replies

• You'll need to use imap (or pop) accounts... you'll likely need to use 993 - most servers use it now, not the insecure 143. 

Is "BAD command received in Invalid state" the entire error message? 

What version of Exchange are you using? Is IMAP access enabled for your mailbox?  

Are you using the correct user name? Some servers require UPN (domain\alias) and others use the email address. 

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Outlook Tips
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Thursday, January 04, 2018 12:06 AM
  • "BAD command received in Invalid state" is the complete message returned from the 143 session directly connected to the exchange server:

% telnet x.x.x.x 143

. login username password

. BAD Command received in Invalid state.

I would prefer to use imaps which works fine when done by hand:

% openssl s_client -connect 10.100.34.31:993

. login username password

. OK LOGIN completed

I only added that information since when adding the IMAP account in outlook, the imap negotiation fails and won't let me go further.  I have no visibility into what it's doing.  It's possible it doesn't use imaps, and that would explain the failure, but I don't know.

If Outlook would not require me to enter IMAP information just to use a different SMTP server, I wouldn't really care about the incoming IMAP failure.

So back to the real question that will help me:  How can I configure Outlook 2016 to use exchange for incoming, but a different SMTP server for outgoing?  No other mail clients that I know of are limited to requiring the same incoming / outgoing server.  Surely there must be a way to configure Outlook with separate incoming and outgoing servers.

Thursday, January 04, 2018 6:21 AM
  • >> If Outlook would not require me to enter IMAP information just to use a different SMTP server, I wouldn't really care about the incoming IMAP failure.

The newest autoaccount setup dialog won't let you add an account unless both servers 'work' but once its added, you can change the incoming to mail or something after its added. 

Or just set this key to bring up the old dialog that will let you use a fake incoming server. (Then disable receive for the account in Send/Receive options. ) You may need to set it up as pop so you can disable the settings autotext, if it won't let you save the account. 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\​SOFTWARE\​Policies\​Microsoft\​Office\​16.0\​Outlook\​setup
    DWORD: DisableOffice365SimplifiedAccountCreation
    Value: 1 

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Outlook Tips
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Thursday, January 04, 2018 1:48 PM
  • Hi caperpundit,

Just checked in to see if the above suggestion provided by Diane was helpful. If her post helped, do you mind helping mark his post as answer so that others who might stuck with a similar question can more easily search for the information. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, January 08, 2018 8:35 AM