none
Sharepoint 2007 Event ID 6482

Question

• Our two server SharePoint 2007 SP2 farm has an issue. Event ID 6482 appears in the Application log of the Web front end many times a day. Often many time a minute.  The service account has not been changed.  IIS has a GoDaddy certificate that is valid and can be viewed in the IIS snap-in.  Servers are Windows 2003 x64 and SQL 2005

The full error is from Office SharePoint Server

Event Type: Error Event Source: Office SharePoint Server Event Category: Office Server Shared Services Event ID: 6482 Date: 11/12/2009 Time: 3:05:22 PM User: N/A Computer: XXXXXX Description: Application Server Administration job failed for service instance Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance (36a9b7ef-59aa-4f94-8887-8bf7b56f2f91).

Reason: Error during encryption or decryption. System error code 0.

Techinal Support Details: System.ArgumentException: Error during encryption or decryption. System error code 0. at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance.SynchronizeDefaultContentSource(IDictionary applications) at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance.Synchronize() at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.ApplicationServerJob.ProvisionLocalSharedServiceInstances(Boolean isAdministrationServiceJob)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The SharePoint site appears to be functioning normally and Search returns expected results.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Dave
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave,
    Please see the following KB article which explains how to update SharePoint passwords. It looks like the SSP account's cache credentials are corrupt.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934838
    You want to focus on step 6a from that article as that command updates the SSP account credentials, but it would not hurt to also complete step 1a-d also just to make sure the farm account is also up to date.

Chad Schultz -MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Lambert Qin [秦磊] Friday, November 20, 2009 8:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Stig123 Thursday, December 03, 2009 2:00 PM
    Friday, November 13, 2009 3:59 PM
  • Thnaks for that link.  I have found this referenced many many times in various searches.  However, there seems to be no explanation of the behaviour.  What changes the account in the first place if no changes have been made to the AD account?  I have seen numerous other posts where this is tried with no change in teh error.  I woiuld gladly try if anyone can explain why. 

Does anyone have an aexplanation as to what happens to the passwords that requires this to be done?
    Dave
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:31 PM
  • Hi Dave,

I do not think SharePoint will retrieve the password plaintext or in an insecure way. It should be encrypted by an encryption key.

The error "Error during encryption or decryption” indicates an encryption key corruption, either in cache or somewhere else. Therefore, you did not changed the password in AD, SharePoint would not retrieve the password correctly.

To be honest, I am not quite sure if reset the password following KB934838 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934838) is helpful for your issue or not, but it is the initial step I would try.

It may rebuild or sync the encryption key.

Before try to reset the password, you could try to clear SharePoint configuration cache on all your SharePoint servers and see if it is helpful for your issue.

To clear SharePoint configuration caches, please follow the steps:

1)      Stop Windows SharePoint Services Timer in Services.

2)      Locate the configuration cache folder in %allusersprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\GUID

In Windows Server 2008, the configuration cache is in the following location: %allusersprofile%\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\GUID

3)      Back up the Cache.ini file.

4)      Delete all the XML configuration files in the GUID folder.

5)      Edit the Cache.ini file. Change the content to 1, and then click Save the changes.

6)      Start Windows SharePoint Services Timer in Services.

See KB 939308 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939308) for more information.

If above actions are not helpful for your issue, please let me know more information for further investigation:

1.       What is your SharePoint Server 2007 version number in Central Administration > Operations > Servers in Farm?

2.       Is there any other errors in the Event Viewer? What is the frequency?

3.       What is your farm architecture? Is there a dedicated Index Server? Or the Query role and Index role host on the same server?

Lambert Qin

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact mtngfb@microsoft.com  

Sincerely,
    Lambert Qin
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Lambert Qin [秦磊] Friday, November 20, 2009 8:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Stig123 Wednesday, December 02, 2009 3:59 PM
    Monday, November 16, 2009 8:57 AM
  • Hi Dave,

Could you please let me know if how is going with your issue?

If you need further information, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Lambert Qin

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact mtngfb@microsoft.com  

Sincerely,
    Lambert Qin
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:57 AM
  • Hi Lambert:

Thanks for the reply.  I will test your solution as soon as I have a maintenabce window.  Possibly this weekend.

I will update you as soon as I can.
    Dave
    Friday, November 20, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Hello Lambert:

Followed instructions

1)      Stop Windows SharePoint Services Timer in Services.

2)      Locate the configuration cache folder in %allusersprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\GUID

In Windows Server 2008, the configuration cache is in the following location: %allusersprofile%\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\GUID

3)      Back up the Cache.ini file.

4)      Delete all the XML configuration files in the GUID folder.

5)      Edit the Cache.ini file. Change the content to 1, and then click Save the changes.

6)      Start Windows SharePoint Services Timer in Services.

No change

Upon restart of the Timer serveice, the cache.ini file contents change from 1  to a seven digit number and about 600 XML files are created when the timer starts.

Here are the details.

There are no other errors than 6482 and they appear at one minute intervals.

It is a two server farm with SQL2005 running on Windows 2003R2 x64 as the back end and Windows 2003R2 x64 as teh front end.

Version is 12.0.0.6421

Central Administration
    Excel Calculation Services
    Office SharePoint Server Search
    Windows SharePoint Services Help Search
    Windows SharePoint Services Incoming E-Mail
    Windows SharePoint Services Web Application

All above on the front end server

Hope this assists you.  Looking forward to your reply

Dave
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:49 PM
  • Quick update.  Tried to change password and when I executed first command
     received...

Error decrypting credential Id aaa4b706-6c1f-43db-936e-024c6abb6d06 with owner Id 38b8d4c6-b452-4be5-b8e8-6e27456c2325 during deploying of administration application pool credentials, please fix manually and try again.

Event ID 5588
    Dave
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Can you check the following:

1. Double check the account is not locked out in AD. 

2. Verify in IIS your Application Pool Identity is set to the expected NT Account.                            

3. If you do make a change to the account running the application verify perform this on all servers in the farm.

4. Try to use a new account and then update using the above or the following link. http://sharepointblog.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!74C8FB1191265567!167.entry

Report back when you can.

Kris Wagner, MCITP, MCTS Twitter @sharepointkris Blog: http://sharepointkris.com
    Friday, November 27, 2009 2:59 AM
  • Hello Kris:

Thanks for the information.

Account is not locked out in AD

Application Pool Identity uses the expected account

We have made no changes to accounts.

We attempted to use

stsadm -o updatefarmcredentials -userlogin DomainName\UserName -password NewPassword  but we receive an error.

One or more errors deploying administration application pool credentials. Please

check the application event log and fix manually.

The event log reports event ID 5589 and

Error reencrypting credential Id aaa4b706-6c1f-43db-936e-024c6abb6d06 with owner Id 38b8d4c6-b452-4be5-b8e8-6e27456c2325 during deploying of administration application pool credentials, please recreate credential manually. Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.

Dave
    Friday, November 27, 2009 3:57 PM
  • Dear Stig123,

i fixed this issues before, while using this command stsadm -o updatefarmcredentials -userlogin DomainName\UserName -password NewPassword   some error occure, so you must reconfigure all farm credinital , i followed the following article to fix my issue "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934838"
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 11:26 AM