Content Types for 'Modified By' and 'Created By' RRS feed

• Question

• This is probably an EASY question, but I just cannot find them anywhere - - -

Which Content Type do Modified By and Created By belong to?

#2.  Isn't there a tool that shows a list of Content Types and the columns in each?  The Site Content Type and Column Gallery don't show ALL (without digging).

Thanks!
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, March 23, 2009 5:25 PM general q (Moved from SharePoint - Search to SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion)
    Monday, March 23, 2009 4:56 PM

Answers

•  

Hello,

“Created By” and “Modified By” are 2 of the internal columns which will be included by all list items in any type of list. Apparently, you can see that the “Created By” and “Modified By” field will not be among the editable columns for any content type. That doesn’t means that the new item created base on these content type will not contain the 2 columns. In fact, content type is not necessary to include the 2 columns, because system will automatically create this kind of internal columns by default. No matter what content type you select to use, when you edit the current view to check on “Created By” and “Modified By”, it will show you the value of these 2 columns, that means they will always company the new item to be generated, and they will never be deleted.

There are other types of such kind of internal columns, such as created, modified, version etc. They are bound to item regardless what content type it uses.

Regards,

Jerry

Xing-Bing Yu
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 5:51 AM

All replies

• Not a search question.

Moving to General.

WSS FAQ sites: WSS 2.0: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007: http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language titles) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Monday, March 23, 2009 5:24 PM
  •  

Hello,

“Created By” and “Modified By” are 2 of the internal columns which will be included by all list items in any type of list. Apparently, you can see that the “Created By” and “Modified By” field will not be among the editable columns for any content type. That doesn’t means that the new item created base on these content type will not contain the 2 columns. In fact, content type is not necessary to include the 2 columns, because system will automatically create this kind of internal columns by default. No matter what content type you select to use, when you edit the current view to check on “Created By” and “Modified By”, it will show you the value of these 2 columns, that means they will always company the new item to be generated, and they will never be deleted.

There are other types of such kind of internal columns, such as created, modified, version etc. They are bound to item regardless what content type it uses.

Regards,

Jerry

Xing-Bing Yu
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 5:51 AM