none
crawls cause 100% cpu utilization spawn multiple mssdmn.exe threads RRS feed

• Question

• Every time a crawl is performed all 8 CPU's spike at 100% for most of the time that the crawl is being conducted.

This appears to be caused by mulitple threads of mssdmn.exe being spawned. When these threads complete the CPU util rates drop even though the crawl is still in process.

My understanding is that mssdmn.exe is the ifliter daemon for the various file types. We do have Adobe iFilter installed but my further understanding is that it is single threaded and as such would only affect one processor.

Is this normal?

davidh
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:57 PM

Answers

• The process isn't a ton different than deploying the first one.  This technet article should help.  Basically you install SharePoint on the next server, run the configuration wizard and tell it to join an existing farm.  Once it's complete, you need to start the Search Service on the new server.  Then you go to your Search Service application in Central Admin and click the modify topology button. You can then move your index component to the new server.
    Corey Roth - SharePoint Server MVP blog: www.dotnetmafia.com twitter: @coreyroth
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Wednesday, December 7, 2011 7:25 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 4:25 PM

All replies

• Crawling is a very resource intensive process.  It's not uncommon for it to consume every bit of available CPU power.  If it becomes an issue and is effecting users, you can schedule your crawls during off-hours.  You can also look at adding another SharePoint server and use that server for crawling.
    Corey Roth - SharePoint Server MVP blog: www.dotnetmafia.com twitter: @coreyroth
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 2:35 PM
  • I was afraid of that. I need the incremental crawls to run regularly during the day as users are adding documents all day long and need to be able to search for them. So... Do you know of a good how-to guide for adding another sharepoint server and using it for crawling? Maybe a cookbook book outline would be helpful and I can fill in the details.

Thanks much for the help

davidh
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 4:11 PM
  • The process isn't a ton different than deploying the first one.  This technet article should help.  Basically you install SharePoint on the next server, run the configuration wizard and tell it to join an existing farm.  Once it's complete, you need to start the Search Service on the new server.  Then you go to your Search Service application in Central Admin and click the modify topology button. You can then move your index component to the new server.
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Wednesday, December 7, 2011 7:25 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 4:25 PM