none
Consolidate AD Sites RRS feed

• Question

• This is a bit of a sanity check for me. 

I'm looking to consolidate a smaller AD site (site "B") into the main AD site (site "A").  Site B contains 2 DCs (among other servers) running DNS & DHCP and 5 subnets.  Currently there is 1Gb of bandwidth between the two sites plus a failover circuit.  With that much bandwidth, I don't see the need to maintain an additional site.  The DCs at site B will still maintain DHCP & DNS services.

I should be able to re-assign the subnets (AD) and demote those 2 DCs correct?  Any impact on DHCP?  Anything else I'm missing?  Any reason not to do this?

I've done this a few times (minus the DHCP part) without any issues.  These are all Windows Server 2003 R2/SP2 operating in Windows Server 2003 mode.
    Digital Deviation - www.DigitalDeviation.com
    Monday, September 28, 2009 12:12 PM

Answers

• Justin,
    The only impact on DHCP would be the change of any options affected by the consolidation (e.g. WINS) - assuming that you are using them...
    Note that AD sites are taken into consideration not just for the purpose of localizing AD authentication traffic and optimizing AD replication (e.g. DFS, SCCM, etc.) - so you might want to investigate whether having those available justifies the overhead of two extra domain controllers. You should also perform bandwidth analysis to determine actual available (rather than nominal) bandwidth. Plus keep in mind that even redundant circuits fail sometimes...

hth
    Marcin
    • Proposed as answer by Meinolf Weber Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin D_ Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:43 PM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 12:26 PM

All replies

• Justin,
    The only impact on DHCP would be the change of any options affected by the consolidation (e.g. WINS) - assuming that you are using them...
    Note that AD sites are taken into consideration not just for the purpose of localizing AD authentication traffic and optimizing AD replication (e.g. DFS, SCCM, etc.) - so you might want to investigate whether having those available justifies the overhead of two extra domain controllers. You should also perform bandwidth analysis to determine actual available (rather than nominal) bandwidth. Plus keep in mind that even redundant circuits fail sometimes...

hth
    Marcin
    • Proposed as answer by Meinolf Weber Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin D_ Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:43 PM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 12:26 PM
  • Marcin,
    We do have WINS running on those servers and its handed out by DHCP.  Though we aren't removing WINS or DNS from these servers.

We do use DFS quite a bit.  I guess I need to look into DFS some more and see what the impact would be.

I get the bandwidth portion.  We average about 55Mbps usage on that line.  We're well under what we have available.  And yeah, I know the backup circuits can have issues.  I've seen that first hand.

This project was a "hand me down" from the previous employee.  I'm not sure what's really driving this to be honest.  It doesn't seem like its much of a hassle to keep 2 DCs there.

Thanks for the reply.  :-)

Digital Deviation - www.DigitalDeviation.com
    Monday, September 28, 2009 12:33 PM