none
SQL server Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it possible to upgrade from SQL server 2016 web edition to SQL server 2017 standard? Can you please let me know how to do it if this is possible?

Thank you,

Ahilan

• Moved by Tom Phillips Friday, November 15, 2019 12:18 PM Upgrade question
    Friday, November 15, 2019 9:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• Is it possible to upgrade from SQL server 2016 web edition to SQL server 2017 standard? Can you please let me know how to do it if this is possible?

Web edition can be upgraded to standard edition. See Upgrade Matrix. You need to first run

1. DMA and look for any breaking changes.

2. After you are good with point 1 take full system and user database backup.

3. Run SQL Server 2017 setup, on the page that pops select "Upgrade from previous version of SQL Server". Next and Next and upgrade would be done

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, November 15, 2019 9:14 AM
  • Shashank,

Thanks for the information. I'll give a go. I clicked on the DMA link and it open up 404 error page. What is DMA in point 1?

Regards,

Ahilan

Friday, November 15, 2019 9:18 AM
  • Shashank,

Thanks for the information. I'll give a go. I clicked on the DMA link and it open up 404 error page. What is DMA in point 1?

Try this

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53595

DMA is data migration assistant, it helps you to figure out issues you may get post migration. Run it and check your migration report after running it.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, November 15, 2019 9:24 AM
  • Thanks Shashank, 
    • Marked as answer by S. Ahilan Friday, November 15, 2019 9:59 AM
    Friday, November 15, 2019 9:59 AM
  • Thanks Shashank, 

Hi Ahilan

You should Mark Shashank's response as answer, not your response as answer.

If the response helped, do "Mark as answer" or Upvote it
    - Vaibhav

Friday, November 15, 2019 10:01 AM
  • Done. Thanks Vaibhav.
    Friday, November 15, 2019 10:15 AM