Sharepoint data connection error "An unexpected error has occured. Changes to your data cannot be saved." RRS feed

• Question

• When i am tring to Export to Excel in SharePoint Custom List got this error message :  "An unexpected error has occurred. changes to your data cannot be saved" sharepoint 2010 in Custom list.

1) The same site some of the custom lists is working fine with export to excel sheet but few of the lists doesnt work with export to excel. 

Many thanks to anyone try to help me out here. Thanks

Regards

Sanjeevi

Friday, June 7, 2013 10:11 AM

Answers

• Hi i found the solution for the above question

the Answer below as follows

The Custom list should not contain any special charactor values as field name.

example:

1) Location #  

2) @ Sales

this is not acceptalbe when you click the export to excel option .

Regards

Sanjeevi

Friday, June 21, 2013 10:16 AM

All replies

• Hi i found the solution for the above question

the Answer below as follows

The Custom list should not contain any special charactor values as field name.

example:

1) Location #  

2) @ Sales

this is not acceptalbe when you click the export to excel option .

Regards

Sanjeevi

Friday, June 21, 2013 10:16 AM
  • Thanks Sanjeevi for the answer, however I still get this error and don't have "@" or "#" characters. What else could be the cause of the issue? 

In my case it seems like a timeout... I've already set EnableThrottling to false, but this hasn't helped.

Monday, January 20, 2014 7:14 AM
  • Monday, January 20, 2014 7:18 AM
  • I have had a similar issue and found a fix for the issue.

My problem was that the SharePoint site requires authentication, and that credential is not passed to Excel when exporting the list data.  Excel is treated as an unauthenticated user and no data is passed to it, resulting in an error.

I fixed the problem by forcing authentication of Excel by using >File >Open >Other Web Locations >Browse and directing it to the SharePoint site in question.  Excel then asks for my credential used on the site and caches it.  I then hit cancel when the actual SP site is attempting to load a file into Excel.

After Excel has cached the same certificate used to authenticate SP, it can then properly Import the SharePoint list data.  Once Excel is closed, the cache is cleared and new exports will require browsing back to the SP site to authenticate Excel.

I hope that helps.

~Donfin

• Edited by Donfin Thursday, August 18, 2016 4:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Donfin Thursday, August 18, 2016 4:40 PM
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 4:37 PM
  • Thank you Donfin.  These steps worked perfectly for me to solve this issue.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2016 12:54 PM
  • Any update on how to make it so that you do not have to browse back to the SP site for authentication after you close Excel?

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 4:38 PM
  • Awesome - thanks for the assist - I was pulling my hair out on this issue!
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 11:46 PM
  • Thanks this fixed it for me too!
    Monday, February 27, 2017 9:34 PM
  • Hi,
    I had the issue on SP 2016.
    Turns out that the issue was caused because of the use of the "&" symbol at the site's name, causing it to show at the url throw the entire site. You couldn't export to excel any site list.

$site = Get-SPSite http://site
    $uri = New-Object System.Uri("http://sitenew")
    $site.Rename($uri)
    (Get-SPSite http://sitenew).contentdatabase.RefreshSitesInConfigurationDatabase()

Effy.

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 7:12 PM
  • Repair your microsoft office..
    Monday, December 17, 2018 12:51 PM
  • Thankyou Effy,

My error was definitely caused by the site name having the & symbol in its name. By renaming the site to exclude this character my Excel exported first time.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 11:03 AM
  • Thank you Mudimba you helped me with your amazing proposed solution!
    Tuesday, January 22, 2019 11:23 AM
  • Donfin,

Thank you for the solution. this step worked perfectly

Thursday, April 11, 2019 4:54 AM
  • I was able to follow the steps and it worked perfectly.
    Monday, November 4, 2019 12:02 PM