none
Project for the web : Effort vs Duration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm not sure this is the right forum for the new Project for the web product, let me know if there is a better place to discuss this.

On this promising tool, you can specify a duration for a task, as well as the effort. However it seems that the two are linked and can't be set independently. Is there a way to do it?

Example : I have a resource on my project that is shared with other teams. I only have him/her 2 hours a day, and this time for 10 working days is enough to complete the task. So I want to have a task with 10 working days duration with a total effort of  20 hours.

In the tool, if I indicate the duration, it will automatically change the effort to a full day work (80 hours), if I change the effort it will adjust the end date and the duration to the number of full day work it represents.

Am I missing a concept here? Is there a way to track no 100% resources on tasks?

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 5:20 AM

Answers

• Flo567 --

You have discovered one of the limitations of using Project for the Web.  There is no concept of Units in Project for the Web, such as there is in Microsoft Project.  As the software exists currently, you can only assign resources to work full-time on tasks in Project for the Web.  I agree with you that we should be able to assign resources to work part-time on tasks, but that functionality does not currently exist, at least not yet.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Flo567 Thursday, November 7, 2019 8:24 AM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 2:42 PM

All replies

• Flo567 --

You have discovered one of the limitations of using Project for the Web.  There is no concept of Units in Project for the Web, such as there is in Microsoft Project.  As the software exists currently, you can only assign resources to work full-time on tasks in Project for the Web.  I agree with you that we should be able to assign resources to work part-time on tasks, but that functionality does not currently exist, at least not yet.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Flo567 Thursday, November 7, 2019 8:24 AM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 2:42 PM
  • To supplement Dale's excellent and correct answer, you could insert the task Type field, work and Duration, and with a little effort set the task to fixed duration, and then modify the work accordingly.  This will set the assignment work per day correctly.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 7:04 PM
  • Cousin Ben --

The user is asking specifically about the new Project for the Web application.  I just checked to make sure I am not losing my mind, but in Project for the Web, there is no Type column in which I can set the Task Type setting to Fixed Duration.  Or am I missing a feature you are able to see?

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 9:53 PM
  • Dale, you are of course right, I missed the the subtlety of "project for the web".

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Thursday, November 7, 2019 5:49 AM
  • Thank you for this reply Howard, clear and useful.

That's unfortunate, cause this product is promising. I'll raise it as an idea in their uservoice. Finger crossed!

regards,

F.

Thursday, November 7, 2019 8:26 AM