none
Are there plans to add support for 32bit agents in DPM 2019? RRS feed

• Question

• I have several legacy x86 servers.  Apparently 32bit OS isnt supported for a protected server.  Why is there an agent installer inside the i386 folder?

I'm on 2019 CU 1

J. Duke Rogers Communicore Technologies & Triangle Forensics

Saturday, June 20, 2020 10:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

That's correct, DPM 2019 does not officially support backing up any 32-Bit operating system anymore. The reason you still see the "i386" folder is most likely because Microsoft might not have cleaned it up from previous versions.

Actually the "i386" folder resides within the "Protection Agents" folder under
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\DPM\DPM\ProtectionAgents\RA\10.19.58.0, this folder appears when installing DPM.

For the updates agents, such as Update Rollup 1 agent you will find it on the "Agents" folder under:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\DPM\DPM\agents\RA\<build number>\

And there you will notice that the agents are only 64-bit (amd64).

You might still be able to use an older DPM agent (for example DPM 2016 agent) to back up your x86 servers, note that "not supported, does not mean that it won't work", but I would highly recommend using a supported scenario if possible.

There are no plans to add any support for 32-Bit operating systems as Microsoft is moving away from them more or less completely.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Edited by Leon Laude Sunday, June 21, 2020 1:50 AM
    Sunday, June 21, 2020 1:49 AM