none
WSUS server and windows updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi , 

I have configured a WSUS server and its working fine, My Question is how do i update the windows updates to client machine? 

Do i need to log in to WSUS every time and approve the critical, security update then each client will get the update when they restart? 

Or the server it self will send the critical, security updated to clients and clients will update them on the next restart?

Can anyone give me a proper update how to manage the WSUS server?

Thanks 

saththiyan 

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 11:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After updates have been synchronized to your WSUS server, they will be scanned automatically for relevance to the server's client computers. However, you must approve the updates manually before they are deployed to the computers on your network. When you approve an update, you are essentially telling WSUS what to do with it (your choices are Install or Decline for a new update). You can approve updates for the All Computers group or for subgroups. If you do not approve an update, its approval status remains Not approved, and your WSUS server allows clients to evaluate whether or not they need the update.

You can configure your WSUS server for automatic approval of certain updates. You can also specify automatic approval of revisions to existing updates as they become available. This option is selected by default. A revision is a version of an update that has had changes made to it (for example, it might have expired, or its applicability rules might have changed). If you do not choose to approve the revised version of an update automatically, WSUS will use the older version, and you must manually approve the update revision.

You can create a rule that your WSUS server will automatically apply during synchronization. You specify what updates you want to automatically approve for installation, by update classification and by computer group. This applies only to new updates, as opposed to revised updates. This setting is available in the Options pane, under Automatic Approvals.

For more details:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708474.aspx

Regards,

Yan Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Regards, Yan Li

Thursday, November 7, 2013 12:39 PM

All replies

• Hi There,

what you could do is approve updates using Automatic approval rules.

The process is described in a technet article, however I just joined so it will not let me paste the URL link :)

but the name of the article is below. Hope this points you in the right direction :)

Approving the Updates

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 11:47 PM
  • Hi,

After updates have been synchronized to your WSUS server, they will be scanned automatically for relevance to the server's client computers. However, you must approve the updates manually before they are deployed to the computers on your network. When you approve an update, you are essentially telling WSUS what to do with it (your choices are Install or Decline for a new update). You can approve updates for the All Computers group or for subgroups. If you do not approve an update, its approval status remains Not approved, and your WSUS server allows clients to evaluate whether or not they need the update.

You can configure your WSUS server for automatic approval of certain updates. You can also specify automatic approval of revisions to existing updates as they become available. This option is selected by default. A revision is a version of an update that has had changes made to it (for example, it might have expired, or its applicability rules might have changed). If you do not choose to approve the revised version of an update automatically, WSUS will use the older version, and you must manually approve the update revision.

You can create a rule that your WSUS server will automatically apply during synchronization. You specify what updates you want to automatically approve for installation, by update classification and by computer group. This applies only to new updates, as opposed to revised updates. This setting is available in the Options pane, under Automatic Approvals.

For more details:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708474.aspx

Regards,

Yan Li

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Regards, Yan Li

Thursday, November 7, 2013 12:39 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the suggestions were helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here

Regards, Yan Li

Monday, November 11, 2013 1:51 AM