none
Inserting a row in the middle of a Sharepoint List RRS feed

• Question

• Hey there

I have been playing about with importing and exporting data from an Excel 2003 spreadsheet to a Sharepoint list. The list is actually a phone list, which is ordered by company hierachichy. I have been trying to add values in the list in between two existing rows, but the data is always sent to the bottom of the list rather than where I want it. When I try to move rows on Sharepoint in the Datasheet view I get the message "Lists do not support custom ordering of rows"

I have also tried to insert rows in the Excel side of the list, but wherever I place the row, it is given the ID number of the total row count +1 and then is moved to the end of the spreadsheet. I am also unable to change the ID numbers in this view either, which is a pain as the company have no particular order to the list, but want to add people in places still.

Any advice on inserting rows between existing rows would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much :)
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, October 26, 2009 2:59 PM not programming - choices were customization (SPD); InfoPath or General (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming)
    Monday, October 26, 2009 2:19 PM

Answers

• Hey Charlie, thank you very much for your reply

I tried the new column thing with a Custom ID, just looked a bit too messy and confusing, especially when you exported it back and there were two mismatching columns of ID and Custom ID numbers.

After fiddling around, it's a simple case of, after exporting to Excel -

• Make a new empty row at the bottom of the spreadsheet
    • Move rows down into the bottom space until there is a gap at the position where you want to add
    • Fill in the gap at this position where you want to appear
    • Synchronise the spreadsheet and list (need to add the List toolbar for the sync button)
    • The list should be in the order which you want with the new item in the place you want it

Really simple solution, should have found it out sooner! Haha!

The predefined ID rows still increment, even if you delete a row and add it again, the ID number will still increase. For example if you're record set was 20 rows long, you added two rows, deleted them, and added them again, the rows would be ID numbered as 19, 20, 22, 23. This is not a big deal, its just a lot of scrolling to the bottom of the page and move rows down a lot! Rather than a simple right click, add row. And come to printing time, just not printing the erratic numbering of the ID column!

Thank you again for the reply! :) But if anyone else finds an alternative method of doing this, please post it here! :) thank you
    • Marked as answer by Ameyama Monday, October 26, 2009 3:35 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 3:33 PM

All replies

• Your best bet is to add an additional column that contains a custom generated ID, that way you can create views that will order the data in the way you want plus you can insert rows wherever you like (although you'd have to manually update the index on the other rows).

Not the most efficient solution, but I can't think of an easier way to do it! Maybe you could implement it as an Information Management policy then it'll at least be reusable?

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, October 26, 2009 2:59 PM sig removed - don't ask people to mark as answer
    Monday, October 26, 2009 2:25 PM
  • Hey Charlie, thank you very much for your reply

I tried the new column thing with a Custom ID, just looked a bit too messy and confusing, especially when you exported it back and there were two mismatching columns of ID and Custom ID numbers.

After fiddling around, it's a simple case of, after exporting to Excel -

• Make a new empty row at the bottom of the spreadsheet
    • Move rows down into the bottom space until there is a gap at the position where you want to add
    • Fill in the gap at this position where you want to appear
    • Synchronise the spreadsheet and list (need to add the List toolbar for the sync button)
    • The list should be in the order which you want with the new item in the place you want it

Really simple solution, should have found it out sooner! Haha!

The predefined ID rows still increment, even if you delete a row and add it again, the ID number will still increase. For example if you're record set was 20 rows long, you added two rows, deleted them, and added them again, the rows would be ID numbered as 19, 20, 22, 23. This is not a big deal, its just a lot of scrolling to the bottom of the page and move rows down a lot! Rather than a simple right click, add row. And come to printing time, just not printing the erratic numbering of the ID column!

Thank you again for the reply! :) But if anyone else finds an alternative method of doing this, please post it here! :) thank you
    • Marked as answer by Ameyama Monday, October 26, 2009 3:35 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Hello

I am creating a list and trying to resolve the issue you are concerned with. The only option of entering further data values is at the bottom of the list. However, the 'Display Order' column offers a numerical value, which when assigned for a Header item, will determine the position in which the Header appears in the Menu Bar. So, if adding for example 3 headers each with 2 sub links, I could say CHALKS 20 (display order value), PENCILS 30, CRAYONS 40. If I wanted to add another Heading in between one of these 3 Headings, I would simply edit the 'Display Order' numbers to say CHARCOAL 40 and CRAYONS 50, and although I added this on the last new row the new Heading would appear in third position in the Menu Bar. Similarly you can add sub links in the last new row but configure them under one of your Headings, and that is where it will show.

Does this help you any?  DaveJB.

• Proposed as answer by DaveJB Monday, June 25, 2018 7:18 PM
    • Edited by DaveJB Monday, June 25, 2018 7:20 PM
    Monday, June 25, 2018 7:18 PM