none
Can't reset index Sharepoint 2013

Question

• Hi,

Something strange is happening with Search. First I get yellow triangle under index partition. After that error about The parameter is incorrect (there is only 10 people right now who connecting sharepoint) and last thing is that I cant reset crowl index. When I try to reset index

I get this error: Working on it...(that take 5-10 min) and after Sorry, something went wrong, request time out. Correlation ID: 08a6099c-d3cc-20f3-fb7a-b978ccdeaf4b

I have tried to restart Search service 15 with hope that that will fix issue with index partition but without joy.

Please help with this. Its driving me nuts.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:54 PM

Answers

• I was able to fix my Search site with this:

1. Stop the Windows SharePoint Services Timer service (Found in Windows Services)
    2. Navigate to the cache folder
    3. In Windows Server 2008, the configuration cache is in the following location:
    4. Drive:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config
    5. Locate the folder that has the file “Cache.ini”
    6. Back up the Cache.ini file.
    7. Delete all the XML configuration files in the GUID folder. Do this so that you can verify that the GUID folder is replaced by new XML configuration files when the cache is rebuilt.
    8. Note When you empty the configuration cache in the GUID folder, make sure that you do not delete the GUID folder and the Cache.ini file that is located in the GUID folder.
    9. Double-click the Cache.ini file.
    10. Select the entire contents of the Cache.ini file and delete it, replacing all the text with the number ’1′. Save the file and close
    11. Start the Windows SharePoint Services Timer service
    12. Note The file system cache is re-created after you perform this procedure. Make sure that you perform this procedure on all servers in the server farm.
    13. Make sure that the Cache.ini file in the GUID folder now contains its previous value. For example, make sure that the value of the Cache.ini file is not 1.

• Marked as answer by Nedim Mehic Wednesday, April 03, 2013 9:34 AM
    Wednesday, April 03, 2013 9:33 AM

All replies

• Please check the ULS logs and find the correlation ID. Please paste the entries found in the log with the correlation ID that you get while trying to reproduce the issue. Turning ON verbose logging while capturing the logs will provide insight into the issue.

I LOVE MS..... Thanks and Regards, Kshitiz (Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:05 PM
  • Can you please stop all services related to search including timerjob and restart again(from services.msc and from central admin). also can you try creating a new content source and crawl again. if nothing works... i think a new search service application needs to be created and try again..

Regards

Roy Joyson

Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this suggestion helps... Thanks

Roy Joyson

Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:04 AM
  • To restart the components, you must restart the HostController service.  Ensure that your search server has at least 5GB of memory free.  If it is a single server farm, you should have 24GB of memory or you will see lots of search issues like this.

Chris

Chris Givens CEO, Architecting Connected Systems Blog Twitter

Monday, April 01, 2013 10:01 PM
  • I was able to fix my Search site with this:

1. Stop the Windows SharePoint Services Timer service (Found in Windows Services)
    2. Navigate to the cache folder
    3. In Windows Server 2008, the configuration cache is in the following location:
    4. Drive:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config
    5. Locate the folder that has the file “Cache.ini”
    6. Back up the Cache.ini file.
    7. Delete all the XML configuration files in the GUID folder. Do this so that you can verify that the GUID folder is replaced by new XML configuration files when the cache is rebuilt.
    8. Note When you empty the configuration cache in the GUID folder, make sure that you do not delete the GUID folder and the Cache.ini file that is located in the GUID folder.
    9. Double-click the Cache.ini file.
    10. Select the entire contents of the Cache.ini file and delete it, replacing all the text with the number ’1′. Save the file and close
    11. Start the Windows SharePoint Services Timer service
    12. Note The file system cache is re-created after you perform this procedure. Make sure that you perform this procedure on all servers in the server farm.
    13. Make sure that the Cache.ini file in the GUID folder now contains its previous value. For example, make sure that the value of the Cache.ini file is not 1.

• Marked as answer by Nedim Mehic Wednesday, April 03, 2013 9:34 AM
    Wednesday, April 03, 2013 9:33 AM
  • Fantastic post - saved my day (night rather - but anyway.. ;)

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:52 AM
  • I had very similar problems and after a lot of digging around for me it turned out to just be the fact that the SharePoint Timer Service job was not started. When I tried to start the job I got a 'logon' error (ID: 1069). The password for the account running the timer job needed to be updated (right click the Timer job in services.msc, properties, Log On tab, enter password twice). Once this was updated, the timer job started ok, and then when I did an index reset, this completed absolutely fine and everything just worked.

Hope that helps someone.

Friday, May 02, 2014 12:42 AM
  • How can this be an answer if it does not specify WHY the steps included fix the problem? It seems this solution is a panacea for all SharePoint's problems...

Sunday, August 17, 2014 6:35 AM
  • "How can this be an answer if it does not specify WHY the steps included fix the problem? It seems this solution is a panacea for all SharePoint's problems"

Welcome in the SharePoint universe :-)

Thursday, October 08, 2015 1:22 PM
  • I had the same issue in my SP 2013 Prod environment. This steps reset the index.

Thanks Sudhir Devange

Wednesday, December 02, 2015 9:26 AM
  • Nice post dude.. it saves my so much valuable time. thanks.
    Thursday, August 10, 2017 7:08 AM