none
An error occurred while enabling Enterprise features. Refer to the event logs on your server machines for more details.

Question

• Hi,

I'm experiencing difficulty when enabling enterprise features in central admin by entering our product key in the 'Upgrade and Migration' menu.  We have SharePoint 2010 (patch level 14.0.5128.5000) running in a stretched farm configuration, four web servers (two for LIVE and two for DR, each pair loadbalanced) all pointing to a primary database server (SQL 2008 R2).  All four web servers are running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard.

PROD01__   ___PROD02                         DR01   DR02
                      | |  ___________________________|             |  
                      | | |  __________________________________|    
                      | | | |    
                      | | | |    
     SQL_SERVER_PROD ........................ SQL_SERVER_DR
                                        <mirroring>

The timer service is running as the farm admin account (<DOMAIN>\farmaccount) and our confiuration has this account as a local admin on the PROD02 and DR02 servers but not on the PROD01 and DR01 servers.  This was a requirment because we have the User profile Service running on each 02.  I have also tested enabling enterprise features out over and over again in a virtual farm with two web front ends, a VM01 and a VM02 with exactly the same permissions and mirrored databases - it upgrades successfully every time. Just to rule it out, I did try adding the farm admin account into local admins on all four producton servers but this did not fix the issue.

I have also tried clearing the configuration cache on all four servers but this also failed to fix the issue, I can also confirm that the configuration wizard has run successfully on all four servers with no issues.

In my test environment I had to stop the web sites in IIS to get the key to enable successfully, it failed every time with the same errors as recorded here but was successfull every time when the websites were stopped.  I tried the same process in production but keep getting the following error messages on each machine in the windows event log:

They all report:
    The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.Administration.SkuUpgradeJob (ID cd58cec4-2301-4f65-b446-3d2b7623dae4) threw an exception. More information is included below.

Post setup configuration failed when attempting post setup configuration task -cmd services -install -cmd installfeatures

Followed by these from each server's event log:
    DR01 – on 02/09/2011 at 19:20:30
    Failed to register SharePoint services.
    An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPUpdatedConcurrencyException was thrown.  Additional exception information: An update conflict has occurred, and you must re-try this action. The object SearchAdminWebService was updated by <DOMAIN>\farmaccount, in the PSCONFIG (428008) process, on machine DR02.  View the tracing log for more information about the conflict.
    Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPUpdatedConcurrencyException: An update conflict has occurred, and you must re-try this action. The object SearchAdminWebService was updated by <DOMAIN>\farmaccount, in the PSCONFIG (428008) process, on machine DR02.  View the tracing log for more information about the conflict.
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.StoreObject(SPPersistedObject obj, Boolean storeClassIfNecessary, Boolean ensure)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.ISPPersistedStoreProvider.PutObject(SPPersistedObject persistedObject, Boolean ensure)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPPersistedObject.BaseUpdate()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPIisWebService.Update()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServiceInConfigDB(Boolean provisionTheServiceToo, String serviceRegistryKeyName)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServices(Boolean provisionTheServicesToo)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.Run()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

DR02 – on 02/09/2011 at 19:09:24
    An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPDeletedConcurrencyException was thrown.  Additional exception information: The object DiagnosticsServiceTimerJobDefinition Name=DiagnosticsServiceTimerJobDefinition has been deleted by another user since it was last fetched.
    Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPDeletedConcurrencyException: The object DiagnosticsServiceTimerJobDefinition Name=DiagnosticsServiceTimerJobDefinition has been deleted by another user since it was last fetched.
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPTimerStore.AddTargetInstance(SPJobDefinition jd, Guid targetInstanceId)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPTimerStore.AddTargetInstances(SPJobDefinition jd)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPJobDefinition.Update()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.DiagnosticsService.CreateTimerJob()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.DiagnosticsService.Update()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServiceInConfigDB(Boolean provisionTheServiceToo, String serviceRegistryKeyName)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServices(Boolean provisionTheServicesToo)

PROD02 – on 02/09/2011 at 19:20:29
    An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPUpdatedConcurrencyException was thrown.  Additional exception information: An update conflict has occurred, and you must re-try this action. The object SearchAdminWebService was updated by <DOMAIN>\farmaccount, in the PSCONFIG (428008) process, on machine DR02.  View the tracing log for more information about the conflict.
    Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPUpdatedConcurrencyException: An update conflict has occurred, and you must re-try this action. The object SearchAdminWebService was updated by <DOMAIN>\farmaccount, in the PSCONFIG (428008) process, on machine DR02.  View the tracing log for more information about the conflict.
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.StoreObject(SPPersistedObject obj, Boolean storeClassIfNecessary, Boolean ensure)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfigurationDatabase.Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.ISPPersistedStoreProvider.PutObject(SPPersistedObject persistedObject, Boolean ensure)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPIisWebService.Update()

PROD01 – on 02/09/2011 at 19:20:28
    An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPDeletedConcurrencyException was thrown.  Additional exception information: The object DiagnosticsServiceTimerJobDefinition Name=DiagnosticsServiceTimerJobDefinition has been deleted by another user since it was last fetched.
    Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPDeletedConcurrencyException: The object DiagnosticsServiceTimerJobDefinition Name=DiagnosticsServiceTimerJobDefinition has been deleted by another user since it was last fetched.
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPTimerStore.AddTargetInstance(SPJobDefinition jd, Guid targetInstanceId)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPTimerStore.AddTargetInstances(SPJobDefinition jd)

I have even tried logging on as the farmadmin account but this still does not enable the enterprise features and should not be needed because the timer service is doing the work and running under that account anyway. Clearing the config cache also did not solve it, nor did logging on with the farm admin account, making the farm admin account a local admin on all four servers, or stopping the user web sites in iis - I've ran out of ideas now and just need some help to figure out what these errors are telling me.  I'm also aware that verison 14.0.5128.5000 is way old but my next change is to install service pack 1, however at the moment I only need to enable enterprise features which should work without SP1.  Please Help!

• Edited by adamf2001 Tuesday, September 6, 2011 2:59 PM version numbers
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 2:52 PM

Answers

• I just had this issue.  I tried rebuilding the configuration cache, my timer account was already Farm admin and Local Admin.

I was looking at the event logs and saw that one of the 3 servers showed the configuration completed successfully, but the other two failed.  I read some post somewhere that indicated it might be some kind of timing conflict on a multi-server farm. 

I stopped the timer service on all but one server, and try to re-enable Enterprise features - the GUI showed that it failed - but when I looked at that server with the timer service running, it was successful.  I stopped that timer service, and started it on server 2 (only) re-enabled Enterprise features, and the event viewer showed it completed successfully (but again, GUI showed it failed)

I left the timer job running on only 1 server, then re-enabled enterprise features via the GUI and watched the event viewer - when the job completed, I started the timer service on server 2, when it completed, I started it on server 3.  The GUI showed that it failed - but the Running Jobs (in central admin) showed it was still running on that last server, and then the event viewer showed it completed successfully.  went back to the "enable enterprise features" page hoping it would show it was now Enterprise - but NO.

So, by now I saw that it could potentially complete on all servers, and figured that the GUI was failing because maybe it timed out before it could run on all 3?  so I left the Timer service running on only 1 server, kicked of the Enterprise features upgrade and watched the event viewer on that first server.  Once I saw that the job had finished (an entry with source of "SharePoint 2010 Products Configuration Wizard" whose contents said it was successful), I immediately started the timer service on server 2 - watched the event logs, once it completed I started the timer service on server #3 - it completed, and then shortly afterwards the GUI informed me that it was SUCCESSFUL! 

that was really wierd, but it worked for me, in a 3 server production farm, with SP2010 SP1, Dec 2011 CU

Good luck!

• Proposed as answer by jensni Monday, April 22, 2013 9:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Pratik VyasModerator Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:24 AM
    Saturday, September 15, 2012 3:51 AM

All replies

• Is it a testing/development server?
    Try restarting the server.

Connect with Me!

Aryan Nava | Twitter: @cloudtxt | Blog: http://virtualizesharepoint.com
    Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 3:04 PM
  • It's production, I have not tried rebooting but I will schedule in a reboot at my next planned change, it can't hurt and at this point i'm prepared to try anything!
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, I'm aware of the steps for clearing the configuration cache and I did do this on all four servers but the enterprise tools still did not enable successfully.  I'm planning to get all four servers rebooted and I will try clearing the configuration cache again and see if enterprise features are enabled succesfully.

Just to summarise:

1. The configuration wizard ran successfully on all four machines and they all state of 'no action required' in central admin - including the database upgrade status

2. The attempt to Enable Enterprise Features using the Upgrade and Migration menu failed with the errors reported above

3. I stopped the user websites and also tried clearing the configuraton cache on all four servers using the following method:

a) stopped the timer service on all four web front ends

b) went to the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config directory and found two folders each with a GUID name

c) deleted all xml files from one GUID folder but NOT the ini file, edited the ini file and set the value to 1

d) deleted all the PERSISTED files from the other GUID folder - EVERY SET OF INSTRUCTIONS IS VAGUE ON THIS STEP - when I clear my cache I delete these files and it has not caused any problems in the past

e) start the timer service on each server, check that BOTH the XML and the PERSISTED FILES are re-created

4. After clearing my cache using the above method successfully I tried to enable enterprise features again and got the same error message as reported originally. 

Notice how the first failure on DR002 is not "SPUpdatedConcurrencyException was thrown" but is actually "SPDeletedConcurrencyException was thrown".  When I try a google search for that exact phrase, I get one result - this blog post!!!

The farm has tried to delete a timer job called DiagnosticsServiceTimerJobDefinition - I have looked through the timer job history and cannot see any reference to this job definition. 

My next steps are going to be getting all four servers rebooted, clearing the cache and trying to enable the enterprise features again.

I cannot reproduce this in my virtual test sharepoint farm, especially the 'SPDeletedConcurrencyException was thrown' error.  The only difference is this environment has two web front ends instead of four.

If anyone can shed any light on the issues please help, many thanks

• Edited by adamf2001 Friday, September 9, 2011 2:27 PM Details
    Friday, September 9, 2011 9:37 AM
  • Hello,

Since my last post the whole farm has been rebooted and the configuration cache has been cleared on all four servers - we had another attempt at enabling enterprise features yesterday.  I was logged directly onto the server under my own account (DOMAIN\myaccount) and I have all the required permissions.

This time around, we had no errors logged on the DR01 or DR02 servers but two key error messages on PROD01 and PROD02, and one of these is different to the four logged originally.

PROD02 – on 15/09/2011 at 17:02:13

An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPDuplicateObjectException was thrown. Additional exception information: An object of the type Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.DiagnosticsService+DiagnosticsServiceTimerJobDefinition named "DiagnosticsServiceTimerJobDefinition" already exists under the parent Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPTimerService named "SPTimerV4". Rename your object or delete the existing object.

Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPDuplicateObjectException: An object of the type Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.DiagnosticsService+DiagnosticsServiceTimerJobDefinition named "DiagnosticsServiceTimerJobDefinition" already exists under the parent Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPTimerService named "SPTimerV4". Rename your object or delete the existing object.

PROD01 – on 15/09/2011 at 17:02:16

An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPDeletedConcurrencyException was thrown. Additional exception information: The object DiagnosticsServiceTimerJobDefinition Name=DiagnosticsServiceTimerJobDefinition has been deleted by another user since it was last fetched.

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPDiagnosticsService.Update()

Looking at the two error messages PROD01 has again thrown the SPDeletedConcurrencyException but PROD02 has now generated SPDuplicateObjectException.  This was logged before the deleted exception so it appears as though the timer has tried to create a job to enable enterprise features but there is already one there from our last attempt:

Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.DiagnosticsService+DiagnosticsServiceTimerJobDefinition named "DiagnosticsServiceTimerJobDefinition" already exists under the parent Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPTimerService named "SPTimerV4". Rename your object or delete the existing object.

I checked the ULS logs and pulled out the following extract from the time the error was generated:

09/15/2011 17:02:10.07  psconfig.exe (0x6F00)                    0x6E4C SharePoint Foundation          Database                       8u1d High     Flushing connection pool 'Data Source=<SQLServer01>;Failover Partner=<SQLServer02>;Initial Catalog=ConfigDB;Integrated Security=True;Enlist=False;Connect Timeout=15' 
    09/15/2011 17:02:10.07  psconfig.exe (0x6F00)                    0x6E4C SharePoint Foundation          General                        avew High     An application domain named psconfig.exe has just been loaded. 
    09/15/2011 17:02:10.10  psconfig.exe (0x6F00)                    0x6E4C SharePoint Foundation          Monitoring                     b4ly High     Leaving Monitored Scope (Initializing Admin OM). Execution Time=1640.15844064439 
    09/15/2011 17:02:10.26  psconfig.exe (0x6F00)                    0x5410 SharePoint Foundation          Object Cache                   9j6t High     SPXmlDocCache cache parameters are: high water mark 10485760 bytes, low water mark 5242880 bytes, interval 180000 ms 
    09/15/2011 17:02:10.51  psconfig.exe (0x6F00)                    0x5E54 SharePoint Server              Unified Logging Service        b8fx High     ULS Init Completed (psconfig.exe, Microsoft.Office.Server.Native.dll) 
    09/15/2011 17:02:10.84  psconfig.exe (0x6F00)                    0x5E54 SharePoint Foundation          Health                         8fvi High      Registering all rules in the assembly Microsoft.Office.InfoPath.Server, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c 
    09/15/2011 17:02:10.84  psconfig.exe (0x6F00)                    0x5E54 SharePoint Foundation          Health                         8fu6 High     Registering the rule from the type, InfoPathTimerJobEnabledHealthRule. 
    09/15/2011 17:02:12.73  psconfig.exe (0x6F00)                    0x5E54 SharePoint Foundation          Monitoring                     b4ly High     Leaving Monitored Scope (EnsureListItemsData). Execution Time=1888.29810194605 
    09/15/2011 17:02:12.73  psconfig.exe (0x6F00)                    0x5E54 SharePoint Foundation          Health                         8fvj Unexpected The health rule contained in Microsoft.Office.InfoPath.Server.Util.InfoPathTimerJobEnabledHealthRule could not be  registered.   A file with the name The InfoPath Forms Services Maintenance timer job is not enabled. already exists. It was last modified by <setup account> on 12/21/2010 4:38 PM. 
    09/15/2011 17:02:12.73  psconfig.exe (0x6F00)                    0x5E54 SharePoint Foundation          Health                         8fu6 High     Registering the rule from the type, InfoPathAllowBrowserRenderingHealthRule. 
    09/15/2011 17:02:12.73  psconfig.exe (0x6F00)                    0x5E54 SharePoint Foundation          Health                         8fvj Unexpected The health rule contained in Microsoft.Office.InfoPath.Server.Util.InfoPathAllowBrowserRenderingHealthRule could not be  registered.   A file with the name InfoPath form library forms cannot be filled out in a Web browser. already exists. It was last modified by <setup account> on 12/21/2010 4:38 PM. 
    09/15/2011 17:02:12.73  psconfig.exe (0x6F00)                    0x5E54 SharePoint Foundation          Health                         8fu6 High     Registering the rule from the type, InfoPathStateServiceConfigurationHealthRule. 
    09/15/2011 17:02:12.74  psconfig.exe (0x6F00)                    0x5E54 SharePoint Foundation          Health                         8fvj Unexpected The health rule contained in Microsoft.Office.InfoPath.Server.Util.InfoPathStateServiceConfigurationHealthRule could not be  registered.   A file with the name InfoPath Forms Services forms cannot be filled out in a Web browser because no State Service connection is configured. already exists. It was last modified by <setup account> on 12/21/2010 4:38 PM. 
    09/15/2011 17:02:13.30  psconfig.exe (0x6F00)                    0x5E54 SharePoint Foundation          Topology                       8dyx High     Deleting the SPPersistedObject, DiagnosticsServiceTimerJobDefinition Name=DiagnosticsServiceTimerJobDefinition. 
    09/15/2011 17:02:13.73  psconfig.exe (0x6F00)                    0x6F58 SharePoint Foundation          Performance                    nask Monitorable An SPRequest object was reclaimed by the garbage collector instead of being explicitly freed.  To avoid wasting system resources, dispose of this object or its parent (such as an SPSite or SPWeb) as soon as you are done using it.  Allocation Id: {F4435D23-13A3-4C41-9BE4-40F38C361E75}  To determine where this object was allocated, set Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebService.ContentService.CollectSPRequestAllocationCallStacks = true. 
    09/15/2011 17:02:13.76  psconfig.exe (0x6F00)                    0x6F58 SharePoint Server              Unified Logging Service        8wsw High     Now terminating ULS (psconfig.exe, Microsoft.Office.Server.Native.dll) 
    09/15/2011 17:02:13.76  psconfig.exe (0x6F00)                    0x6F58 SharePoint Foundation          Unified Logging Service        8wsw High     Now terminating ULS (psconfig.exe, onetnative.dll) 

I have looked through the timer jobs in Central Admin and cannot find any reference to "DiagnosticsServiceTimerJobDefinition" - I'm now trying to figure out how to query the timer and check for duplicate jobs. Clearing the cache did get rid off the SPUpdatedConcurrencyException errors, but the upgrade will continue to fail unless we can figure out how to remove this duplicate timer job.

I also confirmed that the timer service was still running on all four machines which it was.

If anyone knows how to query the timer (probably powershell) and identify/remove duplicate jobs, any help would be much appreciated even if it's just a pointer in the right direction - many thanks

• Edited by adamf2001 Friday, September 16, 2011 3:37 PM added ULS log detail
    Friday, September 16, 2011 10:50 AM
  • HI,

we are facing exactly the same issues. All of the discussed solutions didnt work for me as well. I have cleared the cahce, checked the permissions but still no succes. Did you resolve the issue?

Thanks and best regards,

Lee

Saturday, April 14, 2012 2:27 PM
  • I just had this issue.  I tried rebuilding the configuration cache, my timer account was already Farm admin and Local Admin.

I was looking at the event logs and saw that one of the 3 servers showed the configuration completed successfully, but the other two failed.  I read some post somewhere that indicated it might be some kind of timing conflict on a multi-server farm. 

I stopped the timer service on all but one server, and try to re-enable Enterprise features - the GUI showed that it failed - but when I looked at that server with the timer service running, it was successful.  I stopped that timer service, and started it on server 2 (only) re-enabled Enterprise features, and the event viewer showed it completed successfully (but again, GUI showed it failed)

I left the timer job running on only 1 server, then re-enabled enterprise features via the GUI and watched the event viewer - when the job completed, I started the timer service on server 2, when it completed, I started it on server 3.  The GUI showed that it failed - but the Running Jobs (in central admin) showed it was still running on that last server, and then the event viewer showed it completed successfully.  went back to the "enable enterprise features" page hoping it would show it was now Enterprise - but NO.

So, by now I saw that it could potentially complete on all servers, and figured that the GUI was failing because maybe it timed out before it could run on all 3?  so I left the Timer service running on only 1 server, kicked of the Enterprise features upgrade and watched the event viewer on that first server.  Once I saw that the job had finished (an entry with source of "SharePoint 2010 Products Configuration Wizard" whose contents said it was successful), I immediately started the timer service on server 2 - watched the event logs, once it completed I started the timer service on server #3 - it completed, and then shortly afterwards the GUI informed me that it was SUCCESSFUL! 

that was really wierd, but it worked for me, in a 3 server production farm, with SP2010 SP1, Dec 2011 CU

Good luck!

• Proposed as answer by jensni Monday, April 22, 2013 9:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Pratik VyasModerator Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:24 AM
    Saturday, September 15, 2012 3:51 AM
  • So, by now I saw that it could potentially complete on all servers, and figured that the GUI was failing because maybe it timed out before it could run on all 3?  so I left the Timer service running on only 1 server, kicked of the Enterprise features upgrade and watched the event viewer on that first server.  Once I saw that the job had finished (an entry with source of "SharePoint 2010 Products Configuration Wizard" whose contents said it was successful), I immediately started the timer service on server 2 - watched the event logs, once it completed I started the timer service on server #3 - it completed, and then shortly afterwards the GUI informed me that it was SUCCESSFUL!

Saved my day!

Had the same problem with a 4 server farm setup.

Monday, April 22, 2013 9:33 AM